Not Ready To Let Go

Lynlovesdogs

Hi fello DOLers. It has been awhile since Hazel and I have been online.

She turned 15 in August and since I quit my job in May I have been able to spend more time with her even though she has dementia.

Over the weekend she had 4 seizures and so I took her to her vet on Monday. They suggested sending her to a 24 hour centre to watch her.

The prognosis is not good. They think she has an advanced brain tumour and it's been 3 days and she still has partial seizures. Even with meds she has partial ticks and it is so hard to see her like this.

She's not really there and she can't walk anymore.

It's probably time and I'm just waiting for other family members to come home before we go to the vet. But I'm just not ready to let go. How do you all do it? She has been my best friend over the last 9 years.

Ah, it's such an individual thing, isn't it. It's not easy to let go, but for me personally, it was easier knowing it was the right time for my last girl.

I had a chance to prepare myself. We had lots of cuddles, she slept with us every night and had lots of morning snuggles, I'd get in my car every day after work and bawl all the way home. I called all the people who were in her life and let them know and she ate copious amounts of BBQ chicken.

Hopefully you'll know what the right thing is, at the right time.

Good luck & enjoy your time together.

You do it knowing that the prognosis going forward is only going to be worse and because it is the last, greatest gift you can give them to ease them from this world before they suffer more.

But it is never easy.

I will tell you though that I have had a number of people tell me they know they left it later than they should have to give a dog their wings but never that they did it too early.

Hugs to you. It is tough but focus on what is best for her. Your grieving comes afterwards.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I was in your shoes 7 mths ago with my girl Sammy. All the same things, she had a grand mal seizure. Continued with petits for 48hrs until the meds kicked in. We had 5 good weeks after that with good & bad times until she went downhill rapidly.

My thoughts are with you, its never an easy decision but it can also be the kindest.

Thanks Scottsmum.

This happened so fast she deteriorated so quickly. It's heartbreaking. I want just a little more time with her.

We had a serious illness 9 months before where I thought she was gone - I spent 3 days at home in bed with her bawling. Then got all that extra bonus time with her. I think that helped a lot -as I had my big emotional crash when she first got sick.

It's so tough, but it's just part of the deal. Cherish every single second and know that is really is the ultimate thing we can do for them.

It's the hardest thing to have to do, and you just have to put her needs before your own. I had 2 girls put down last year and the way I did it was peaceful for them and gave me time to cuddle and love them and say goodbye. I took them to the vet and he gave them a strong sedative and put a line in the front leg, then told me to take them home. I had about 2 hours with them, they were relaxed, in no pain and it was good. Then when he came to my house they weren't afraid and they went peacefully because the line was already in and the injection was easily given. That's the only advice I can give you. :( Save your tears for when she's gone, then cry till there's no more left.

Hi all thank you for all your kind supportive words. I found hazel through these forums and we have had lots of ups and downs together. I know I did the right thing as our vet who is the best in the world confirmed that I was doing the only thing that was right for her.

We shared the day together with her lying in our arms before we went to the GP. She went quickly and painlessly. She looked so tired.

We cried and cried and I still can't believe she's gone.

My poor baby Hazel. 11-08-2000 - 22-10-2015. Rip Hazel.

Such a raw subject for me too, just know you are not alone, I gave my heart dog her wings 3 months ago.

You are never ready to say goodbye, it still sends a shock through my system when I think about her, the tough times are when I am lying in bed at night, trying to go to sleep, and I get a jolt and immense grief overwhelms me. I still have trouble accepting she is gone.

Hugs to you, so sorry for your loss, thoughts are with you.

Ray

Hi all thank you for all your kind supportive words. I found hazel through these forums and we have had lots of ups and downs together. I know I did the right thing as our vet who is the best in the world confirmed that I was doing the only thing that was right for her.

We shared the day together with her lying in our arms before we went to the GP. She went quickly and painlessly. She looked so tired.

We cried and cried and I still can't believe she's gone.

My poor baby Hazel. 11-08-2000 - 22-10-2015. Rip Hazel.

You know - those final moments with you , when she was relaxed and drifting - that was THE most wonderful gift ... :hug::rainbowbridge: