Obtaining A Show Dog

Loveisinthedogs

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster please move this thread if its in the wrong category.

I am an experienced dog owner mostly I have owned and loved one breed but in recent years I have had some troubles trying to enter the show ring.

I have purchased two 'show quality' pups in the last five years, neither of them have worked out so to speak. Both have grown up with disqualifying faults that have prevented them from being able to be shown. Regardless I love them both as pets but I am slightly disheartened that my attempts to become part of the show world have been fruitless.

I spent my time attending shows and specialties and researched for over a year before I purchased my first pup. I studied the standard to the wire and know that I purchased from a reputable and knowledgeable breeder in both instances. I know that when a puppy is young its hard to tell their full show potential I get that and I do not blame either breeder, I completely get it. My question is for future reference.

If you are a breeder and you sell a show quality pup that doesn't work out, is there anything you offer an owner? In terms of an exchange or the opportunity to show an older dog etc? It's hard of course when you fall in love with your dog first and foremost to even think about giving them up but I know you as breeders may need to do that at times to ensure you get the best quality dogs. I as someone that wishes to show and grow in my chosen breed also want that opportunity I am just not sure if there are any 'rules' so to speak about purchasing a 'show quality' dog.

I would appreciate the opportunity just to learn more about breeder practices for in the future if I ever obtain another dog and wish to show.

Thanks so much in advance. :)

"Show potential" is how is should be for a baby puppy not "show quality" - so many things can go wrong through the course to maturity.

Personally I would offer a replacement...

What breed? (this will help us get a handle on what might be going wrong that you can't see early on - what were the disqualifying faults)?

The "what if the pup doesn't turn out" discussion is something I'd recommend you have with breeder before purchasing your next pup.

Advising on the way forward would be helped by knowing what the disqualifying faults were that you encountered.

It is very difficult to breed a show quality puppy in some breeds. I know in my own what looks stunning at 8 weeks quite often doesn’t end up in the ring for a variety of reasons. As a breeder I accept that and run puppies on with the view to placing them in a super pet home if they don’t make the grade. I would expect anyone who brought a show puppy of my breed to understand this as well. Show puppies are generally sold for around the same price as a pet so if they don’t come up to standard that money would be able to be recovered. It is not an easy thing to do but in my breed it really is the only sensible thing to do or you end up with nothing to show.

Completely different story if there are health issues.

I personally recommend that people trying to break into a breed look for an adult male. They are usually a lot easier to find and you can often get a higher standard as breeders need to keep their girls but will only keep a male if it is stunning.

LOL it is not uncommon that the pup that the breeder kept for themselves to show, turns out not quite right and is quietly rehomed as a pet some months later, while one of the "pet quality" pups that went to a great home is seens around the same time and the breeder tries to talk the owners into showing because that one is now fantastic. In spite of puppy puzzle and heaps of experience, even the most knowledgeable breeder can be caught out and most probably have been at some stage.

If you want a guaranteed show dog then buy an adult that is already winning. Sorry for the bad news, but that is the way it is.

Puppies are a gamble - you can reduce the odds by carefully choosing an honest and knowledgeable breeder and then waiting for the one that your breeder says is the best pick, but there is still no guarantee.

Many many years ago when I was showing and breeding Pembroke Corgis, when my first litter came I was advised by a very wise man, Ivor Snaith the President of the Corgi club here in SA. that if someone came along wanting a show puppy,he said the wise thing to say is that I do not sell show puppies but I sell my bloodlines, in that way you have not promised that the puppy that they purchase has been guaranteed to be the one.

There is absolutely no guarantee that a 12 week old puppy could be sold as a show dog, they can change so much.

As others have said if you want to break into the show circle it is best, if you can, to buy a young adult that has had a reasonable amount of success in the show ring, this is not as easy as it sounds.

Go to the shows get to know the breeders of the breed that you prefer, let them know how interested you are in showing.

My breed is unpopular in the ring and pups are rarely bred so................ I don't sell show quality, I sell show potential but all are sold on the understanding they are pets first and foremost. Showing is secondary. All pups I have sold as show potential have titled but I wouldn't be offering a replacement if they hadn't. People would have to wait several years to get another. They also wouldn't be getting any money back. All my pups are sold at the same price, people are sold a pet that may end up suitable for the ring. The pups that should not be shown (or bred) their owners are advised accordingly.