Dogs Who Change Personality And Behaviours

Little Gifts

Tempeh is our shar pei girl. She has been with us since she was 5 months old - now about 3.5 years old. She was a foster until she was about 8 months old.

We've obviously had Tempeh for the majority of her life but she is not like any other dog I've ever owned. I swear her personality and behaviours change from year to year! As an example - up until this winter she used to put herself to bed after dinner every night. A few times a night (after going to bed) she would stick her head in the doorway to see what we were up to then promptly go back to bed. Other times she might come down for an evening snack then take herself straight back to bed. But since last winter she spends every night down in the lounge room with us bed hopping. She doesn't have a spot like the other two because she never used to hang out with us. Now we are constantly rearranging ourselves to accommodate her new 'hanging out with my homies' habits. Another new behaviour that started last year and has grown is she has decided she likes to spoon and snuggle. For the first year of her life if you touched her she would jump off the bed and sleep elsewhere. Now I'm struggling to find somewhere to put my limbs at night as she can't get close enough to them (even though we are now coming into the warmer months)! Another new thing is her morning rituals. I've always given my dogs a massage every morning while we are still in bed. I only used to be able to do it to Tempeh if she was in the mood as she is usually starving hungry and as I mentioned has not been a huge fan of a lot of touching. Now she gets up on one side of me (even if I'm not yet awake and ready) and as I massage she leans in to me and goes all floppy. What the hell? Where did this new dog come from? And she used to like to give me kisses but now she wants to lick me too - hands and face are her preference and she has even lain on top of me to do it! Another thing is her lying on the bed here in the computer room. She hasn't done it since she was a young puppy but now she is hogging it all the time and I've had to bring an extra bed in for her. Previously she'd stay on my bed keeping watch (which is what I think she was doing at night too). Other changes are I no longer have to chase her to put a coat on or clean her ears. She still plays statue but there is no real panic in her eyes.

Has anyone else had a dog who continues to change? I am happy for her as these changes are positive ones for a dog that has had some uptightness and lots of rules she operated by but you'd think it wouldn't take 3 years to see the changes appear! She's lived in the same house with the same dogs, humans and routines for all this time. The only thing I think might be happening is she has stopped doing her role as alert dog. I'm not sure why as the most senior dog in the pack (our guard dog) is ageing and you'd think she'd feel more pressure to be doing her job? And if she is no longer doing her job who the hell gave her permission to slack off? Maybe she has just developed new found confidence in herself and realises she can have a bit of fun and keep us all safe? But again, why has it taken her so many years to feel this way?

I've found with our GD Whitney (who we've had for 5 years, and she's nearly 10) that her behaviour has changed. I think it's just that she feels more part of the "pack" as she has become more relaxed, she now barks a few times when someone comes to the door (she never used to) and she is much more comfortable in seeking affection from us.

I do wonder what changed in her head, but I'm just glad she is more relaxed.

Yes. :) I have a little girl that went from needing to sleep in the quiet spare room in her little bed, to migrating down to the lounge room and making friends, then demanding attention, then coming into the bedroom at night sleeping in her basket- watching the guys who are allowed to sleep on the bed. And now she suddenly is the first one on the bed every night! Took about 2 years for the whole process. It's so nice to see a once timid little girl evolve. Maybe one day she will start the face kissing too! LOL

BTW It's been a while since we've had Tempeh photos :laugh: :provoke:

I feel the same about Temp, FM, happy she is more open to everything we have to offer. As I'd consider her a submissive dog I wasn't sure how she would go with a change in pack dynamics as the oldest girl got past it but I'm wondering if it has had the opposite effect and allowed her the room to grow and feel more useful? Mind you, most of the time she doesn't even seem to speak dog when it comes to the other two poor dogs that have to share the house with her! She really has a lot of quirks and she likes to change them regularly. I just realised today that she no longer demands to inspect all incoming mail either. I'm not exactly sure when that changed but she used to be a stickler for inspecting everything!

I think Temp was here almost a year before she got on my bed. She really suffered from the cold and Stussy got her up there and snuggled with her to keep her warm. But if we came into the room or tried to touch her she jumped off. Second winter and we got her used to blankets on and around her and this winter you couldn't peel her off me in bed at night. And she would cry until I put her coat on. Fast forward to now and here's a pic for you Powerlegs. I was unwell last week and having a nap but woke up because I couldn't find anywhere to put my legs. I sat up and found out this was why.

post-33739-0-45609100-1445574367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Gifts

I think Temp was here almost a year before she got on my bed. She really suffered from the cold and Stussy got her up there and snuggled with her to keep her warm. But if we came into the room or tried to touch her she jumped off. Second winter and we got her used to blankets on and around her and this winter you couldn't peel her off me in bed at night. And she would cry until I put her coat on. Fast forward to now and here's a pic for you Powerlegs. I was unwell last week and having a nap but woke up because I couldn't find anywhere to put my legs. I sat up and found out this was why.

She so beautiful!! :heart: And looks very concerned about her poor Mum feeling sick. :angel:

Funny you mention this because since we've moved to Victoria Stan has started cocking his leg when he wees O.o I know that's a bit bizzaro but he's always been a squatter, he still squats in the backyard but when we are out walking he drags me to the nearest tree or pole and cocks his leg :/ When we had his birthday party in April, Beltar bought him a lovely bag of gifts (treats and toys) and he cocked his leg on it and wee'd on everything :o Must be something in the air down here :laugh:

Apart from that he still whines continually, sleeps on my head even when it's 40 degrees and is still as clumsy as. Maddie sadly is still the same nervy little girl she was 5 years ago who never lets me out of her sight :(

Sarah is still changing after 2 and a half years with us. She's gone from a scared little girl to a cheeky and confident poodle. I say poodle coz she's so friggen bouncy and quick and has a decent prey drive :p

Collie and Sarah didn't play for ages and now it's almost a daily activity

She's gotten pretty cheeky as well and will sneak onto the couch for cuddles or run out the front door only to bounce around in the front yard.

She'll now actually grab the ball when playing fetch, poor blind collie often doesn't realize what's happened until he stumbles upon her when searching for the ball, he then sits there with the saddest look on his face until she gets bored chewing it and walks away.

And she loves her cuddles, if I stop the pats she'll often put a paw on me to say 'more!'

And she goes through stages of liking OH more or less, this seems directly tied to how often he's accidentally scared her recently.

One thing that hasn't changed, an accidental loud sharp noise followed by a scurry of nails on floorboard is always then followed by 'Sorry Sarah!'

Oh and she has two barks. The 'you left me outside all alone' bark and 'hurry up and throw the damn ball' bark

Do you think she may be picking up on your being down lately with everything that's been going on with family and such?

T.

I wondered about this or if it was a reaction to us not being home as much but it seems more about what she wants to do than what I might need! I wish I'd had my camera near the bed this morning. She spent the entire night sleeping in my arm pit. I had hoped when I got into bed and had to pretzel round her that she would move but nope, I was the one who woke up with the dead arm this morning. Usually she likes to take over my leg space but last night she decided she needed a proper night long cuddle. This is all from a dog that up until late last year didn't like to be cuddled or touched while she slept at all. She's an odd duck.