Vestibular Dysfunction

colliehound

Hi All,

Yesterday my 12 yo Greyhound gave us a big fright by staggering around like a drunken sailor. We first awoke about 5am to her standing in the walk in robe, cowering in the corner and panting furiously. We assumed she had had a run in with on of the other dogs or the cat - so we put her on our bed, spoke to her softly, stroked her, (took all her vitals) and within 5 minutes she was fast asleep and resting normally.

So we assumed our idea that she had a run in was right and went out to a market for a few hours.

When we got back - she came to greet us as normal - but didn't bound or bark - just staggered and wobbled and smooched. Immediately I thought tick - snake - poison.......so we went straight down to the vet (who had already closed - but is a champion and waited for us).

We eliminated tick, snake, poison etc etc and were left with stroke, tumour, cancer etc. We have her on pain meds and anti inflammatory. Today she seems almost back to normal - just a bit of lameness in a back leg and slightly listing.

The whole time she has been hungry - eating normally - drinking normally - going to the bathroom normally. Also follows me around if I change rooms etc - so alert and cognitive.

Having done a Dr DOL search it appears that Krisilin had a similar problem with Feather in 2014 and it was Vestibular Dysfunction. My girl didn't show the Nystagmus (but then I wasn't really looking for that) but the other signs match.

Has anyone had experience beyond the first attack? Prognosis? Some say it is an iodine deficiency or a B12 deficiency or potassium. She has pancreatitus....anyone have knowledge on how this may or may not effect it?

One option is obviously to get MRI or CT or .............however as others said in earlier post on this topic - it is a lot of money for something you probably won't elect to treat anyway (assuming they find something)- plus I am very very reluctant to put our girl under ANOTHER general anaesthetic - she has had plenty in her life as a not so well treated greyhound. (Prior to us - just for clarity).

I am not sure if I am asking for experiences, advice or just a hug. I am a bit one foot in vet mode and one foot in mum mode and not sure if I should be panicking or just taking it one day at a time .

Would value your thoughts.

My old Belgian Terv had vestibular disorder at about the same age, and recovered fully on her own in time, she just needed help to get around for the first few days. Hers didn't recover from one day to the next tho, your description of your girl as almost normal today does not sound similar. Good luck.

Guest donatella

Our elderly family dog (little terrier) had it and required steroids but came good within 24 hours on them. I think my old thread is here about it

I had an elderly greyhound have an attack of this. I just kept him quiet and he recovered totally in a few weeks. Only had the one attack. For us to have an MRI would have meant a long car trip but to be honest even if one had been much closer I wouldn't have done it. I also wouldn't have treated it even if I had investigated it further and there was something there like a tumour.

hugs to you, it is scary.

Thank you ladies. We are going to go back to the vets on Tuesday for her opinion and I guess some "validation" for me.

Rebanne - glad to see you also wouldn't have done MRI etc. Makes me feel a bit better.

Thanks Diva. Lets keep in mind with a Greyhound "normal" isn't too far to go........sleeping.............resting...........leaning..............smile.gif. That is not to say I am not very very happy at her improvement.

My old Belgian Terv had vestibular disorder at about the same age, and recovered fully on her own in time, she just needed help to get around for the first few days. Hers didn't recover from one day to the next tho, your description of your girl as almost normal today does not sound similar. Good luck.

agree .

Ones I've seen get worse before they get better ...

agree .

Ones I've seen get worse before they get better ...

Mine didn't get worse before getting better. He was at his worst when I took him to the vets but we were lucky his was a mild case.

I'm not sure if it is the same with dogs but worth asking your vet. My then 16 year old cat had what my vet thought was vestibulars but we ran full bloods and it turned out to be a potassium deficiency. Within 2 or 3 days of potassium tablets she was over the symptoms.

My Siamese had 2 turns and was left at the Vets and treated with 6 weeks rest in darkness . The next time she had a mild attack and spent 2 weeks at the Vets today she walks with a slight head tilt and a bit of a wobble.

I believe one cause of Vestibular is inner ear infection,

Best of luck to your hound :)

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/856