Dog Toothpaste

luvsdogs

I've been trying to buy a decent dog toothpaste to replace the one I used to have made by Ruddocks. When it ran out I bought an American brand, all I could get at the pet warehouse I went to, & it is so thin it doesn't stay in the mouth or clean the same as the Ruddocks.

My little guy has already had one dental just over a year ago & if I can't get his teeth clean he's going to need another. I've used Plaque Off, Healthy Mouth water additive, dental chews & he's mostly on a raw meaty bone diet & Royal Canin small dog dental kibble at the vets recommendation but because of his overshot jaw nothing seems to work.

Who here cleans their dogs teeth? & what do you use? & do you like the way it cleans?

luvsdogs, I buy a toothpaste brand named "Petosan" available through most Vets, also Triplepet do one, also from Vet. I have found both stay on the brush just fine and my dogs love the taste! they start licking their lips when the toothbrush comes out :laugh:

I also have recently started using a product I found in Better Pets & Gardens by "Tropiclean" called 'clean teeth gel'. You put two drops either side of mouth daily for 30 days, then 2 to 3 times per week to maintain. I have seen a definite improvement in the teeth, although there was only very early beginning of tartar starting to form.

One of my dogs has Irritable Bowel Disease and cannot eat bones of ANY description, no dental chews, dentastix etc, on prescription food only (hypoallergenic) so he has to have a good dental care routine (he is also a show dog so dirty teeth are a no-no!). Even Healthymouth upset his gut, the Plaque off was too difficult to give when he is on dry food only.

Have you tried the dentipet one? It has a bit of abrasiveness about it which is good for cleaning I find. Dogs seem to like the taste too (chicken or beef or cheese flavour)

I have to clean my dogs teeth as he gets a upset tummy on bones and things like that - I'm using the triple pet vanilla toothpaste but will switch to above when it runs out. He still gets a scale and polish at the vet yearly.

luckily my dog loves to chew on brisket bones (1-2 per week) and they do the job - she has impeccable teeth. I have no problem to check her teeth etc., but brushing her teeth?...I don't think she would like it...

40 years with loads of dogs.... NEVER have I had to brush a dogs teeth.... a good raw diet stimulates healthy salvia which is a big factor in keeping teeth and gums healthy.... dogs can chew on bones, sticks, plastic to promote good strong jaws.

Dry food has additives, even they they say no artificial anything doesn't mean that sugars etc are not added... there are plenty of sugars and starches that are naturally found in foods that don't fall into the category of 'artificial'. Just consider that something is added to the process to allow the dry food to sit in nice neat balls......!!!

When my previous Border Collie was about 9 yrs old the vet said she'd need a dental before she was too much older because of the risk of a GA. At the time I wasn't prepared to do that so used to give her chicken wings & a 1/4 can of Natures Gift canned food. She was allergic to wheat which made her incontinent. The next year when she went to the vet for her check-up the vet said her teeth were good for her age. They had cleaned up really well on this diet. She lived to be almost 15 yrs.

I wish the raw meaty bone diet worked for him, would make it so much easier. He can be on a RMB diet for a few weeks with maybe 2 or 3 kibble meals in that time & his teeth still look dirty. :(

ETA Vet doesn't like a raw bone diet as seen too many obstructions, my present BC being one of them which makes me a little more cautious.

Edited by luvsdogs