Special Dog Moment

hankdog

Norty Jake and I often walk through a park that has a hall and a fenced off area sometimes used by a group of adults who have various disabilities. Today as I was filling my water bottle at the tap a man came over and tried to pat Jake through the cyclone wire fence. I felt a bit bad and tried to explain to him that Jake doesn't really like pats and was about to move off when he hung his arms over the fence and tried to reach Jake. Normally Jakes' reaction to peoples pat attempts varies from indifference to wary but today he climbed those big clumsy paws up the cyclone wire and reached his head up and allowed the man to give his head a thorough thunking.

If that's the last picture I have in my mind when I die I will be a happy person.

God love them - they have this capacity to surprise and delight us. :)

I think dogs can be extremely sensitive to disability and to youth. One of mine just loves kids. Follows them around like a lamb.

My first thought. How wonderful, though. I hope the young man remembers this encounter with pleasure. He will probably be looking out for Norty Jake now. :love:

God love them - they have this capacity to surprise and delight us. :)

I think dogs can be extremely sensitive to disability and to youth. One of mine just loves kids. Follows them around like a lamb.

They definitely can. One of mine who couldn't care less about pats from anyone is always so gentle yet friendly when around disabled people. Its amazing.

Awwww, how beautiful. I think they get it too. Sid has the most special relationship with my youngest son, who has a severe speech delay. Not much is said, but Sid can't hear him anyway. He just plods along behind him, bringing him his toys and sitting with him in makeshift cubby houses. It's a calm, quiet understanding reserved just for Ed.

Awwww, how beautiful. I think they get it too. Sid has the most special relationship with my youngest son, who has a severe speech delay. Not much is said, but Sid can't hear him anyway. He just plods along behind him, bringing him his toys and sitting with him in makeshift cubby houses. It's a calm, quiet understanding reserved just for Ed.

That's lovely :)

How wonderful. I love Jake.

Ernie is a complete porkchop with every adult that interacts with him -- bouncy, waggy and licky. I was understandably nervous when my friend with a severely austitic boy came over - so much so I was prepared to crate my boy. Instead? Ernie lay at the boy's feet, let him squish his ears and patiently endured the not so gentle pats, all without moving a muscle.

I fell even more in love with him that day.

I think dogs are much more attuned to 'specialness' and small signs that we don't give them enough credit for.

Jakey showed that for you. :D