Titre Test...

Hi All,

Just after some generic feedback - who has gotten their dog's titre tested, what were the results, were they sent overseas and how old was your dog when tested?

I just got my 9.5 yr old Aussie tested and surprised that the results came back saying she needed a re-vaccination - she has been vaccinated every 3 years since she was 2 I think.... So surprising for me that her immunity wasn't higher.

What has everyone else found?

We test all of ours, they only ever get their puppy shots. Every time we do it they always come back with the highest possible level of immunity >1:80 for both parvo and distemper. We have had all of ours tested through vetpath in WA with the exception of 1 who was tested by Jean Dodds as we were sending a thyroid sample anyway so it was easier. I have never paid more than $70 for a test, that is at 4 different vets (2 in Sydney, 1 in Canberra and 1 in Newcastle).

Ours are out and about a lot at agility trials so would be in constant contact with low level viruses I suspect. I would expect a dog that doesn't get out as much to have much lower levels of immunity as their system is not being exposed to it as often. Some dogs just don't accept the vaccination very well and never end up with high levels irrespective of how often they are vaccinated. Then there are some dogs don't end up with protection at all even after a vaccination. I consider us pretty lucky with the results we consistently get back.

I think the advice for "low" titres indicating revaccination is needed is to wait a few months and recheck. Something to do with active vs passive immunity - if they haven't been exposed to parvo recently then the active immunity isn't there to be picked up by the test?

Dr Jean Dodds is the guru on titres, I've heard she is very helpful - but she also has a heap of info on her website and Facebook :)

I titre test my dogs and have only had one come back with less than high positive. I received results for my 8.5 year old dog yesterday and he had >=1:80 serology titre for both parvo and distemper. Results are from Vetpath in WA.

Hi All,

Just after some generic feedback - who has gotten their dog's titre tested, what were the results, were they sent overseas and how old was your dog when tested?

I just got my 9.5 yr old Aussie tested and surprised that the results came back saying she needed a re-vaccination - she has been vaccinated every 3 years since she was 2 I think.... So surprising for me that her immunity wasn't higher.

What has everyone else found?

Where did you get it done? And was it one of those in house kits- as if so, they can be quite inaccurate.

That's what I'm thinking Denali.

My dogs are exposed all the time to "stuff". They are at comps most weekends, come to work with me and are pretty stoic- I would consider all bar one with high- very high immunity in general.

Test was $80 for a snap test- and I'm not trusting the result.

I'm struggling to find anyone in vic / Mel that does it at a reasonable fee and I'm told they have to still send the parvo results overseas....

I titre test mine and they haven't had any vaccinations for almost 4 years (through Vetpath in WA). Parvo is tested here, I think it is hepatitis that is done overseas.

Out of curiosity which vet do you use, how much does it cost etc etc?

I'm struggling to find anyone in vic / Mel that does it at a reasonable fee and I'm told they have to still send the parvo results overseas....

I can send you a copy of my boy's results from Vetpath in WA if you want to show your vets that they do do it!??

I titre test mine and they haven't had any vaccinations for almost 4 years (through Vetpath in WA). Parvo is tested here, I think it is hepatitis that is done overseas.

Out of curiosity which vet do you use, how much does it cost etc etc?

I use the local vet here for the blood draw and then I mail it myself. I think from memory it was around $70 per dog plus $15 or so for express shipping.

I titre test my two every year, also through VetPath. My vet charges $75, but we're lucky and just down the road from VetPath so no postage.

Just got the latest results and both are still showing >1:80 for both parvo and distemper.

They haven't been vaccinated since the booster they had at 15 months of age, back in August 2010

Mine aren't really around lots of dogs, just small training classes, and we don't go to busy dog places either :)

Edited by raffikki

I can send you a copy of my boy's results from Vetpath in WA if you want to show your vets that they do do it!??

That would be most appreciated :)

Hey Leopuppy - I titre test all my kids and bloods get sent to Vet Path in WA (I drop them in myself). I only test for Parvo and distemper.

About 12 months ago I rang around a truck load of vets in Victoria trying to find somebody who wasn't going to charge between $300 - $400 to pull bloods and send them off for testing. A vet in Geelong from memory was the cheapest at about $100, (bloods were sent to WA) but most of them were way over top price wise compared to what we pay in WA.

Edited by Ptolomy

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this, and hoping FhRP will see it...

Vet is quoting me again around $300 for titre testing, and is apparently unaware of an Australian lab doing it. Wondering if someone could forward me more details so that I could pass them on to my vet?

Maybe I should look at changing vets, it's just that I like having one nearby (hate driving and Sydney traffic!)

Just bumping this, and hoping FhRP will see it...

Vet is quoting me again around $300 for titre testing, and is apparently unaware of an Australian lab doing it. Wondering if someone could forward me more details so that I could pass them on to my vet?

Maybe I should look at changing vets, it's just that I like having one nearby (hate driving and Sydney traffic!)

Bloods are sent to:

Vetpath Laboratory Services

39 Epsom Avenue, Ascot, Western Australia 6104

PO Box 18, Belmont, Western Australia 6984

Are you anywhere near Castle Hill?

Thank you for that Ptolomy!

I'm in the eastern suburbs, so not technically close to Castle Hill, but getting there isn't out if the question to save some money. I'm meant to check with the clinic in Russell Lea too (more open to alternative / natural therapies)