Golden Retriever Puppy Too Small - Then And Now!

greyseas

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but thought I would follow up from a thread I created over 3 years ago (can no longer respond to the old thread) and thought this might be helpful just to hear about for new golden retriever owners!

My puppy Oscar was teeny tiny for a golden retriever and had a slight health scare (too small for his age etc and wasn't proportionally in line with a regular golden retriever puppy). Vet was initially concerned with potential congenital issues but he tested fine and it was later concluded that he may have had worms which were treated for. (Attached is a pic)

I posted about it here and was really grateful for all the responses I got! It was really reassuring to get other dog owner opinions especially as Oscar is my first pup! Maybe some of the posters back then are still active and will remember him from the pic.

Just thought I'd give an update - Oscar is turning 4 in Novemver and is an energetic, happy and healthy pup :) we've had no health issues with him since the bumpy start (touch wood!!). He's still quite small for a male golden retriever (weighing in at about 28kg as we try to keep him lean) and looks to be more similar in stature to a girl but he's greedier than ever and will eat anything! More importantly he is (and according to his vet) completely healthy!

I guess it's more of a post to any new puppy owner with an abnormally small pup - a bit of a happy story if you will!

A couple of posters mentioned he may be a cross because he was so tiny - not sure if he still looks like one now?? To me he looks like a slightly smaller golden and I have registration papers but I guess anyone with more expertise might know better? Love him either way!

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong area of the forums!! Wasn't sure where it was most appropriate...

post-42414-0-24427000-1446092212_thumb.jpg

post-42414-0-61943000-1446092635_thumb.jpg

post-42414-0-67120400-1446092645_thumb.jpg