Desexing Choices

redangel

I have been reading about less invasive methods of desexing. These include laproscopic techniques and the removal of only the ovaries? Aside from the benefit of smaller surgical entry I read that it doesnt involve the trauma through the ligaments like the standard procedure entails. Does a bitch with only the ovaries removed have the same chance of pyometra as a. a bitch desexed the traditional method or b. an undesexed bitch.

Thoughts?

My girl had a lap spey just a few months ago. Much less trauma, less tissue being touched internally and great recovery. I scrubbed in and was super impressed with the entire process.

Pyometra is caused by hormones- so no hormones = no Pyo.

OT but in the US they are even doing ovary sparing spays because no uterus means no pyometra either.

European vets are trained to perform ovariectomies, Aus and US vet schools teach ovariohysterectomies. There is no increased risk of uterine cancer.

Thank you Jumabaar...I worked as a vet nurse for many years (a while ago now) and have seen umpteenth ovariohysterectomies...and yes what you say makes sense. I am seeing this option being offered more and more and have been considering it. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Have done the laproscopic spey on 2 bitches, and a traditional one on one.

Lap Spey: One girl died too soon after (not related to it!) to know if it was good long term, though the recovery was so much easier than a traditional spey. The other girl, done about 4 years ago, again had a much easier recovery, but I actually wouldn't do it again, as the 2 entire males at home go crazy for her a few times a year, to the point of jumping baby gates which they never normally do. It's almost like she is still giving off scents.

Traditional spey: Harder recovery, but about 5 years on she is never attractive to the males, which is good. Major down-side is her incontinence, which 2 meds help with but don't solve.

I just don't know which spey method to suggest, really!

Edited by poppop

My boys have not shown any interest in my girl that had a Lap Spey even. She should have been in season a few weeks ago had I not desexed her.

My traditionally speyed 10yr old (done at 6) still marks, humps boys and flirts/encourages the boys to flirt with her and my boys sometimes become a little silly.

Incontinance may occur with a traditional OHE as wall as an ovarectomy because it is the lack of hormones linked to the underlying muscular changes.

So I think it's important not to make judgements from a population study of 1 when dogs are individuals and your boys may still have been interested even with a full OHE. (Not aimed at you specifically but others reading this :) )

• 2 weeks later...