Breeders Of Breeds That Are Susceptible To Ocd

Seita

I'm doing some reading up on OCD (Osteochondritis Dissecans) which isn't considered common in my breed but it seems to be becoming more prevalent. The information on the web is varied with differing opinions on heritability and not really a whole lot on how to keep your dog from developing it.

Is it considered a genetic condition (or partially genetic) in your breed?

Is there any screening that breeders do to test their stock like we do with hip and elbow scoring?

What prevention strategies are suggested to help avoid developing the condition?

I'm doing some reading up on OCD (Osteochondritis Dissecans) which isn't considered common in my breed but it seems to be becoming more prevalent. The information on the web is varied with differing opinions on heritability and not really a whole lot on how to keep your dog from developing it.

Is it considered a genetic condition (or partially genetic) in your breed?

Is there any screening that breeders do to test their stock like we do with hip and elbow scoring?

What prevention strategies are suggested to help avoid developing the condition?

Believe it has genetic predisposition, but most common in large fast growing males, therefore they must be kept lean and exercise should be vigorously monitored....my experience anyway with a medium sized breed....and I would think seriously about breeding affected dog or its close rellies

I think in terms of the genetic predisposition side of things, it is more a case of certain breeds being more predisposed to growing large and fast than the actual condition itself.

We have bred a border collie who had surgery for OCD at 10months of age. He was always going to be a big dog (he matured to 570mm at the shoulder) and grew waay too fast. He was fed a cheap puppy food and overexercised as a young pup. At 6 months of age in the middle of a major growth spurt he slipped awkwardly chasing a frisbee on wet, frosty grass. He had a limp for a few weeks but seemed to get better. At 9 months, a similar injury. X-rays showed OCD in the shoulder (the fragments were floating in the joint). He had surgery to correct it and hasn't had an issue with it since.

We were questioned as to why we would repeat the mating given "we had OCD in the lines". We don't deem it to be genetic in this instance, rather it was environmental. We know now to be more careful when homing pups to stress the importance of proper diet and appropriate exercise as they grow, regardless of how experienced the home is that they are going to.