Is Your Dog Safe Off Leash?

Scottsmum

Hey all,

We've had at least two threads which have specifically discussed recall in the last few months (particulary sighthound Vs other breeds) and this blog popped up in my feedly the other day.

Hope you all enjoy it, I really like Patricia's style - she's no nonsense and usually has a terribly pretty photo from her farm at the end of each post. I'll get around to reading her book(s) one day.

WHO’S YOUR DOG? If asked to name three things we all needed to consider before letting our dogs off leash, I’d say knowing each dog as a personality is the third. Tootsie spent 7 years in a cage, and didn’t know that the noises people made were meaningful for most of her life. She’s come incredibly far, but she’s still a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel that I got at age 7 who had never been trained to do anything for most of her life. Willie, on the other hand, came with recall software pre-installed. I could just about take him anywhere and let him off leash, and know he’d come back to me when I asked. He’s a Border Collie, Tootsie’s a Cavalier. Genes matter. I should add here that there are still contexts in which I would never take the chance with Willie, because the pay off wasn’t big enough. His safety is still my primary concern.

NEVER DONE: One last point: Don’t ever stop “training your dog to come.” I still often reinforce Willie for coming when called, sometimes with voice, sometimes with the toss of a toy or letting him chase me as I run away from him. And I’ll never stop watching Tootsie like a hawk if she is off leash, and reminding her how very, very fun it is to come when called.

- See more at http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/is-your-dog-safe-off-leash

Her post has really bought home that I'm pretty sloppy with Scottie. He doesn't have an emergency stop and his recall has been gettingworse recently - there is a fence at our park which is just irresistible - if I let him get too close to it, it's nose down and he's gone. If I can keep him away from the fence we're good. Little stinker. Fence > Mumsy.

I have heard so many times that cavs are terrible off leash, i have had 4 and none have been an issue at all!

They are super easy to train, and only one of mine has really needed a recall trained into him. *cough* Kokoda *cough* who thought swimming was always a better option than staying dry laugh.gif

But all of mine have also had some form of training put into them and aren't just casual pets who sit and look pretty, have no manners or rules at all, and just get let off the leash at a park once per week. Maybe that makes it different. I know a few of these cavs..

ETA: Henry is getting worse, but he is going deaf and can't hear things far away. So its not lack of training or breed traits in his case laugh.gif

Edited by denali

The right answer for when our dog will be okay to be off lead is NEVER! He's an Alaskan malamute, and they aren't known for doing what they're told! Especially not when it comes to recall. He would spot something and be off like a flash, returning when he feels like it! He is pretty good with recall in the yard, but outside of it I'd never trust him to come back.

I have one Dog who is just slow with everything she does so she takes a while but the rest always comes when i call. I never really trained alot with that, only the weim for hunting training but they just know it. Always walk off leash with walks, in safe areas off course, not near a road cause thats just stupid;)

I have 1 dog with an excellent recall - about 99.9 % reliable even with distractions like bitches in season and the same with an emergency stop that has come from sheep dog training. The others recall and stop is not quite so reliable as his hasn't had the same level of training. Both have a good stay. I have always believed that my dogs need a reliable drop and stay so that if something happens (like separated by a busy road)I cann drop them and tell them to stay and go and get them.

My last dally (RIP) was no where as reliable as the borders so was only allowed off leash in places it was safe.

My dog is very easy to live with, very biddable & is on lead 90% of the time, so I'll admit it, her recall is a bit crap under distraction. The problem is that aside from trigger situations (which I am very alert to and ready to respond), she will always come if I call- though it may take longer if she's found something to sniff or check out. The only time she's offlead is at the park, so I'm fine with that.

And now that she's older, even if she sees something worth bolting for (a seagull or sky writing) she doesn't get too far before she decides it's not worth the effort & comes back. :laugh:

If ever I have had someone babysit her, they are told to never let her off lead outside fenced areas. I'm highly tuned to her triggers, but I don't trust anyone else to be.