Fattening A Finicky Eater

JRT Lover

Our JRT is 12 months old and I'm concerned that she's too lean. She's healthy and active but a bit disdainful of dog food in general and will often just pick at her meals. Changing brands of food (canned and dry biscuits) seems to perk her up for a little while and then she loses interest again. I have two little kids and just don't have time to prepare home-made food for her. Does anyone have any ideas for things I can add to help her gain some weight? Or particular brands of commercial food that might be suitable? She's been on puppy food until now and I'll transfer her to adult food now that she's 12 months old.

Our JRT is 12 months old and I'm concerned that she's too lean. She's healthy and active but a bit disdainful of dog food in general and will often just pick at her meals. Changing brands of food (canned and dry biscuits) seems to perk her up for a little while and then she loses interest again. I have two little kids and just don't have time to prepare home-made food for her. Does anyone have any ideas for things I can add to help her gain some weight? Or particular brands of commercial food that might be suitable? She's been on puppy food until now and I'll transfer her to adult food now that she's 12 months old.

If she is still lean, I'd keep her on the puppy food. It has a higher fat content.

I"m not a fan of canned food - its mostly water. You could always try adding some fresh mince and also try chicken wings - my dogs love them.

I feed Royal Canin and I have an extremely fussy boy. Have you tried it?

If she's active and lean, I'd not fuss though unless you can see all her ribs and spine - she's probably still filling out.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

agree on dogs are better off being lean than fattened up. Some dogs do self regulate and will only eat when hungry (or so I've heard, I own labs who have never met food they wont eat)

Is she getting treats during the day that may be satisfying her hunger?

Another thought is usually the suggested serving size on commercial dog food can often be double what dogs actually need.

If you are concerned your dog isn't eating well enough, a small teaspoon of coconut oil and some warm water may get them interested, or there is fish meal topper available online as an appetiser.

If the dog is otherwise healthy, why do people feel the need to "fatten" them up.

Dogs are better off being leaner than fatter and providing the dog is not emaciated, there's nothing to worry about.

Provide a quality dry and some raw meaty bones and leave the dog to it.

Have to agree with WW here. Dogs are better off being a bit on the lean side and I think we find it hard to acknowledge these days as we see so many overweight people and dogs today ...... and I am really calling the kettle black here :o :o :o

I have one dog who would eat until he bursts and the others eat to stay alive. Having now experienced a fatty in Bunter, I’d know I’d prefer the ones who are a bit on the lean side and food is not an issue.

My girl ended up on the far too skinny side of lean when she dropped her coat and went off her food simultaneously - I've been trialling her on Black Hawk and am really pleased that she's eating with some enthusiasm again.

I got told by the inlaws when Sarah and Collie were staying with them last weekend that Sarah had gone off her food and was eating half her dinner at best.

based on the amount of food they went through in less than a week and the fact that Collie's ribs we're feeling a bit more filled out I'm guessing she was probably just full :p

Gotta love having a self regulating dog.

Also we generally feed our 2 raw meat from a local pet shot with black hawk kibble, cost is probably on par (or even less when you factor in smaller portions) with commercial wet food and there's no preparation other than to portion up meals before putting them in the freezer.

I had the same problem with my JRT who has now passed away. She was a total nutter who never stopped. We left her on puppy food for a lot longer than a year as she was always very lean and hyperactive.

You could try giving her Royal Canine Energy or Proplan Performance. Both are higher in fat and protein than the normal formulas. My JRT loved the taste of Royal Canine.

Maybe try and add in some raw food as well . Lamb flaps are fattening.

Just remember a lean dog is healthier than a fat one and will live longer.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I picked up some Royal Canin bics today and she ate them well tonight, so hopefully she doesn't lose interest like usual. She would be a 3 or 4 out of 10 in terms of condition, so not emaciated but a definite demarcation where her rib cage ends. I'd like to see her a 5 out of 10.