Five-Year-Old Girl Was Bitten By Dog Inside Bunnings Store

Two Best Dogs!

The point I was making with my straight jacket comment is that as a shopper I still have to suffer through the feral bastard kids who run amok, get in my way and just be arseholes because they haven't been taught any better. We can't ask those parents to take their kids and bugger off out of the store because then we get called all sorts of names because how dare we not be "kid friendly".

I understand that dogs are not humans (thanks for that HW because I had *no* idea before now), but just as people shouldn't be expected to tolerate bad dog behaviour, nor should I as someone who dislikes children, have to suffer through bad, moronic parenting and feral sh*ts who can't be controlled. If your child can't behave in public, don't take them out either.

...looks like your are an expert in teaching kids manners and how to behave

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was making with my straight jacket comment is that as a shopper I still have to suffer through the feral bastard kids who run amok, get in my way and just be arseholes because they haven't been taught any better. We can't ask those parents to take their kids and bugger off out of the store because then we get called all sorts of names because how dare we not be "kid friendly".

I understand that dogs are not humans (thanks for that HW because I had *no* idea before now), but just as people shouldn't be expected to tolerate bad dog behaviour, nor should I as someone who dislikes children, have to suffer through bad, moronic parenting and feral sh*ts who can't be controlled. If your child can't behave in public, don't take them out either.

Society frowns on "not kid friendly". That's not going to change.

Yes, we all have to suffer through the little monsters. Perhaps we were just like them once. I do know I"m not going to ask my dogs to share my suffering.

On the other hand, don't you think a curious child should be able to survive a close encounter with a dog with her skin intact? I thought the "Bunnings Experiment" would last a month. We didn't even get a week. Don't blame the child for that outcome.

I wonder how it feels to be the person who saw Australia's dogs having to be muzzled to be in a retail outlet. What a shame. Its the same sort of ignorance of dog behaviour that makes dog parks such a nightmare sometimes.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

...based on how the incident happened this thread has not much to do with misbehaved kids; however, your language and generalizing negative description of kids shows that it is obviously very important for you to let everyone know that you don't like kids. Well, think about this: the world is not as it is because of the kids, if it is messed up it is because of us adults. Kids don't rule the world, they don't make the policies for Bunnings, they don't vote and don't govern countries and so on..... So if you see something you don't like: you can be pretty sure that it is something we adults stuffed up. Depending on our age and health - and our skills - our time and capability to make this world a better place is likely limited, I guess we have to leave it with our kids if there should be any progress. Therefore I ask you to make an effort and be polite to kids as they read this forum too - and they need all the support they can get, otherwise they might become a miserable adult character like so many.

Edited by Willem

Some experts claim that curiosity is a sign of intelligence and that curious kids go on to become scientists and doctors. RSA Perhaps one day a once curious kid might save your life and you will be grateful.

Curious is fine, it's feral shits I dislike.

Society frowns on "not kid friendly". That's not going to change.

Yes, we all have to suffer through the little monsters. Perhaps we were just like them once. I do know I"m not going to ask my dogs to share my suffering.

On the other hand, don't you think a curious child should be able to survive a close encounter with a dog with her skin intact? I thought the "Bunnings Experiment" would last a month. We didn't even get a week. Don't blame the child for that outcome.

I wonder how it feels to be the person who saw Australia's dogs having to be muzzled to be in a retail outlet. What a shame. Its the same sort of ignorance of dog behaviour that makes dog parks such a nightmare sometimes.

I dislike this part about society and is something I wish we'd all take a look at. I'd love to be able to go shopping in places that ban children and this is because they make me angry, stressed and anxious depending on their behaviour. I don't yell at those mothers whose poor bubs are screaming in the shops, I feel sorry for them knowing it's not their fault, but the sound really raises my anxiety and riles me up. Society dictates that I should have empathy for the mothers but that empathy is not reciprocated for me who'd love nothing more than to tell the baby to shut the **** up. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way when a kid is screaming, yet it's something we have to bear and suffer in silence.

It's not even about parents having no choice about bringing the kids along shopping either. Costco is the perfect example. So many parents think it's a FANTASTIC idea to make Costco shopping an ideal outing for the WHOLE family. Mum, dad plus the relatives, in-laws and 50 kids are running amok. How is this a good idea? Shops are for shopping, playgrounds are for running around.

Back to this Bunnings fiasco though, given the wording of the original article, it's completely unsurprising this has happend. Oh look, Bunnings has made their store a doggy playground so let's bring all the dogs. It's a shame this happened to a young child but as you said HW, not completely unforseeable -- and realistically, completely expected.

I'm actually also surprised there's not more incidents involving dog friendly cafes too. All it'd take is one food aggressive/possessive dog to snap and bam. Also not a pretty picture.

...based on how the incident happened this thread has not much to do with misbehaved kids; however, your language and generalizing negative description of kids shows that it is obviously very important for you to let everyone know that you don't like kids. Well, think about this: the world is not as it is because of the kids, if it is messed up it is because of us adults. Kids don't rule the world, they don't make the policies for Bunnings, they don't vote and don't govern countries and so on..... So if you see something you don't like: you can be pretty sure that it is something we adults stuffed up. Depending on our age and health - and our skills - our time and capability to make this world a better place is likely limited, I guess we have to leave it with our kids if there should be any progress. Therefore I ask you to make an effort and be polite to kids as they read this forum too - and they need all the support they can get, otherwise they might become a miserable adult character like so many.

I've been a member of this forum a lot longer than you and I'm pretty sure that most users here are well aware of my stance on children. I've never hidden the fact that I dislike sprogs but I don't begrudge those who choose to have them. I'm just asking for a little respect for my choice not to wish to interact with them.

I understand that it's the past, which has shaped our today, however, I'm pretty sure that my blip of an existence (and that of those around me) have had very little to do with shaping today's society. Perhaps technologically wise, but regarding politics etc, a mere blip.

Finally, the kids on this forum probably aren't the feral shits I see running around, getting in the way, stealing things etc.

The thing about kids is they are the same species as us so like it or not we do all have some role to play in how they grow up in our society. That's not to say that anyone who doesn't want to has any obligation to interact with them, other than being near them, but it doesn't work to say I don't have em, I don't want em, therefore I have the right to have them kept away from me at all times.

These kids are the ones who will grow up to work, pay the taxes and make the contributions to allow our society to keep functioning. Their parents are the ones doing the work (whether it's to an ideal standard or not) to raise these kids. That means that all of us who use services and roads and medical care and accept the benefit of gains in research and technology actually need these kids to exist, whether we personally like them or not.

That's why it's different to dogs.

And incidentally, I may have taken my dogs (not all 3 at once) into Bunnings if I needed to pop in and won't now if they have to be muzzled, BUT they are trained to accept a muzzle if it's needed - it's not hard to do an I'd much rather to it as a stress free training exercise than try to force one on them if they are injured and distressed and actually need one.

I feel it's unfortunate for all involved, and there could have been a way for all to learn from the incident without this blow up. I was bitten by dogs a couple of times as a kid and my parents never turned it into a massive issue; dog owner would be apologetic, I would be sore and parents would say, "Make sure you be extra careful around strange dogs next time". Each party blaming the other does no good.

Willem, you seem to take particular offense to posters making tongue-in-cheek jokes about children being restrained? Both comments were obviously said in jest, though for what it's worth I had to wear a leash as a child as mum would turn her back and I would be gone. :laugh: Certainly didn't cause me any issues - in fact probably saved me quite a few times.

...Willem, you seem to take particular offense to posters making tongue-in-cheek jokes about children being restrained? Both comments were obviously said in jest, though for what it's worth I had to wear a leash as a child as mum would turn her back and I would be gone. :laugh: Certainly didn't cause me any issues - in fact probably saved me quite a few times.

...lets assume the 5 year old girl who was bitten read all these comments - do you really believe that a five year old girl thinks that these kind of 'jokes'(?) are funny?...or her friends in Kinder?...and how old were you when your mother used a 'leash' - with a toddler walking harness?...5 years old?

Willem is right. 5 year olds are not toddlers and they can be tearaways. As a child (approx 3) my mother nailed up the windows to keep me in because I was given to escaping and taking myself for a walk down the street. Should she have kept me on a chain? Yes RSA I was feral but I didn't steal. All my children have been very active and curious. I was once asked to take my son out of a shop because he was touching everything. No doubt you would call my children feral. Believe me I tried very hard but they were challenging. They have all turned out okay as adults but all my grandchildren are also very active and a nightmare to take shopping.

Bunnings is very stimulating for curious active children. My daughter often leaves her children with me while she goes to Bunnings, or I have even been asked to sit in the car with them while she goes in quickly for something she has forgotten.

I would never take my dogs to Bunnings. It could be quite dangerous - weed killers etc, or something might fall on them, or someone trying to manoeuvre a large object to the cash register might not think of looking down to see if there is a dog in the way. I can't understand anyone wanting to take dogs there. I like to concentrate on my shopping not on what my dog is doing.

A five year old should not be reading this forum. If they are - more bad parenting.

...I didn't see a forum rule that states an age threshold, however one of the rules is, and I quote from here:

Think carefully about any possible consequences before posting.

Be aware that a large audience may see your post (via Google searches etc), and your words may come back to haunt you. Unlike the spoken word, your written posts will exist on here for a long time. We are not obliged to remove your membership or any post you make.

ETA:...and why shouldn't they read it?...it is actually a pretty good source to get some good ideas how to behave around strange dogs, and isn't this what we want?

Edited by Willem

A five year old should not be reading this forum. If they are - more bad parenting.

...I didn't see a forum rule that states an age threshold, however one of the rules is, and I quote from here:

•Think carefully about any possible consequences before posting.

Be aware that a large audience may see your post (via Google searches etc), and your words may come back to haunt you. Unlike the spoken word, your written posts will exist on here for a long time. We are not obliged to remove your membership or any post you make.

ETA:...and why shouldn't they read it?...it is actually a pretty good source to get some good ideas how to behave around strange dogs, and isn't this what we want?

Because it is an adult forum and people do not write on here thinking that children might be reading it.

The lady that lives across the road from us, has a fear of dogs. I believe it came about because when she was younger, she once saw her sister get bitten by a German Shepherd.

While some kids may brush off being nipped by a dog as an inconsequential event, I'm sure there are others for whom this is the cause of a lifelong fear.

Young children aren't robots. I'm sure a great many of us on this forum, would have approached or patted strange dogs as children, without asking permission from the owner first. I know that there were a couple of dogs that I would pat through the fence on the way to and from primary school.

Because it is an adult forum and people do not write on here thinking that children might be reading it.

ups,...then I recommend that everyone read all of the forums rules again...

That isn't a rule btw, it is a guideline.

ups,...then I recommend that everyone read all of the forums rules again...

If you think that 5 year olds should be allowed to read anything on the internet then I seriously question that.

Perhaps take a look at websites specifically designed for 5 year olds then back at this one and see if you can spot the difference. 1: Most 5 years olds don't have the reading skills for an adult forum in the first place.

Oh for goodness sake, is nothing allowed to be adults only?? Why shouldn't a five-year-old go on here? Because a child shouldn't even be on the internet in the first place, unless it's on a kiddie website for educational purposes. Take the kid outside, teach it manners, show it butterflies, I dunno - whatever you're supposed to do with them.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't even read when I was 5. Well maybe I'd started letters and my name?

But seriously, can we not just assume that some things aren't for children? Why does everything have to be child-friendly?