Five-Year-Old Girl Was Bitten By Dog Inside Bunnings Store

Two Best Dogs!

firstly: some people here have no idea about what 5 year old kids today are capable off - I also couldn't read when I was 5 years old...today it is not unusual that 5 year old read books, I mean real books, not this 'house...picture - mouse...picture - toddler stuff'...with 6 years they do PPP at school!....the class rooms are equipped with PCs and kids are taught about google, Wikipedia etc.

secondly: the site doesn't get picked up by any filter as an adults site, so I may suggest that we all just follow the 'guidelines' respectively the forum rules. Obviously some like to ignore them, or like to bend them in their favor, but for most of the members I guess they still have a meaning.

Edited by Willem

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has all this got to do with dogs in Bunnings :confused::shrug:

:shrug:

I was there today to pick up a cheap lopper and saw someone with a muzzled kelpie :thumbsup: looked to be well behaved, in a heel. No-one was paying it any mind and I'm sure s/he appreciated the coolness of indoors.

I think I might use weekday-bunnings as a training location in a few months when the initial "must take our dog for novelty" is over with, if dog seems amiable, the staff are amiable and we finish our muzzle training (it's touching her face, the horror! :grimace:)

I was there today to pick up a cheap lopper and saw someone with a muzzled kelpie :thumbsup: looked to be well behaved, in a heel. No-one was paying it any mind and I'm sure s/he appreciated the coolness of indoors.

I think I might use weekday-bunnings as a training location in a few months when the initial "must take our dog for novelty" is over with, if dog seems amiable, the staff are amiable and we finish our muzzle training (it's touching her face, the horror! :grimace:)

Don't the new rules say they have to be carried as well ??? A bit hard with some dogs

Sorry...just reread it....muzzled OR carried :) I think I would be putting a belly band on my guy as well, just to make sure

Edited by sheena

firstly: some people here have no idea about what 5 year old kids today are capable off - I also couldn't read when I was 5 years old...today it is not unusual that 5 year old read books, I mean real books, not this 'house...picture - mouse...picture - toddler stuff'...with 6 years they do PPP at school!....the class rooms are equipped with PCs and kids are taught about google, Wikipedia etc.

secondly: the site doesn't get picked up by any filter as an adults site, so I may suggest that we all just follow the 'guidelines' respectively the forum rules. Obviously some like to ignore them, or like to bend them in their favor, but for most of the members I guess they still have a meaning.

You think it's irresponsible to have a dog in bunnings, well it's damn irresponsible to allow a 5 year old child on the internet without close supervision. So if they are reading something that upsets them that is the parents fault for allowing them on a website that is too mature for them.

A forum is social media, just like Facebook, and there is a reason Facebook has a 13+ age limit.

Do you allow a child to read any book just because it has the comprehension skills to do so?

....You think it's irresponsible to have a dog in Bunnings...

nope, that's not what I said and think...

Edited by Willem

hm, they (Bunnings) sell these sun hats and umbrella as merchandising, maybe they could also sell green muzzles, something like this , just in green with the Bunnings logo :D ?

hm, they (Bunnings) sell these sun hats and umbrella as merchandising, maybe they could also sell green muzzles, something like this , just in green with the Bunnings logo :D ?

Please don't give them that idea! :rofl:

Belly bands and Season Undies - all in natty green with the red Bunnings logo...

Please don't give them that idea! :rofl:

Belly bands and Season Undies - all in natty green with the red Bunnings logo...

Yep...Cricket looks rather cool in his belly band :)

Sorry, I've not read the thread. That sentence annoys some people I know. Hands up how many ankle taps with trolleys have you felt? Honestly those trolleys are longer than the regular supermarket ones and people forget that. Imagine if your dogs tail was run over by one of these.. It could very well happen.

If Bunnings provided a soft muzzle at the front of the store would you use it?

Sorry, I've not read the thread. That sentence annoys some people I know. Hands up how many ankle taps with trolleys have you felt? Honestly those trolleys are longer than the regular supermarket ones and people forget that. Imagine if your dogs tail was run over by one of these.. It could very well happen.

Lord no! Imagine the germs :eek:

It's fairly simple, if they don't make the store easy for me to access when I have my dogs with me, I'll just take my business elsewhere and buy online.

I want to see the five year old who could read this thread. In all my years of observing children in classrooms, I would have been astounded if any at five could even read the first post (and why would a five year old want to, for goodness sake.)

I want to see the five year old who could read this thread. In all my years of observing children in classrooms, I would have been astounded if any at five could even read the first post (and why would a five year old want to, for goodness sake.)

well, I can tell you that for the school my kids visit this is pretty normal (reading with 5 years)...and if kids there are interested in dogs (a lot of kids actually are) they might be also keen to learn a little bit more about dogs...

Now what has this to do with Bunnings and the thread?...not much, it just drifted away from what really happened in Bunnings as I thought it is not appropriate to insult kids in general and call them names - no matter whether they can read it or not.

Edited by Willem

For my two tibbies ... no. We could try but with their short muzzles, even soft muzzles would fall off revealing their funny underbite that shows their teeth. I can just see aisles of people scattering with fright. :) So I'd have to pick up one in each arm & ask kindly strangers to pick things off the shelf for me to put in my kick-along trolley (now that'd be an accident waiting to happen). :) Seriously, I think you've got a point about trolleys possibly posing a danger for paws & tails. And just to be a bit careful....

Back to the question of 5 year olds & if they can read the posts or not. It reminded me of Groucho Marx who was told something was so easy that even a 5 year old could do it. And he said, 'Send out and get me a 5 year old!'

Also, stellnme, you have my support in what you wrote. Me, too.... re the classrooms. Don't think we really need Groucho's 5 yr old ...

Edited by mita

This has just taken a turn for the bizarre.

I was on a leash until I was 4, because my parents wanted to ensure that I didn't run off and get myself into trouble, something I consider to be responsible parenting. It did not mentally scar me.

I will repeat that the comments about restraining kids was said in a tongue-and-cheek manner and honestly if some 5 year old is reading all of this I would seriously question why the parent thinks that is appropriate. Are you all for censoring adult themed video games too because some child may figure out how to play it?

Holy cow. This is turning into another burning house thread. :laugh:

Sorry for the OT all.

Continuing Off Topic.,.

1. I don't censor what my kids read. Yes, I think Miss 15 read Helter Skelter at 12 and it gave her nightmares but she learned that the top shelf of books were serious stuff. Now they read on their Kindles voraciously and I let them buy what they want.

2. I DID censor their TV viewing until Miss 12 hit 12. Now, they can watch MA +15 with me, but still no to R.

3. The only censorship of the Internet was FB and other messaging things until they were 12.

4. I had them on child harnesses when they started walking because as an older mother, I simply did not have the speed to manage a 2 and a 5 year old in busy areas. I (and they) survived the trauma of being leashed and resultant judgey comments just fine.

5. My kids went to nice (i.e. Tablecloth) restaurants from a very young age. I packed a bag of activities and if they got down from their seats, we left. Only had to do it once. I always had strangers coming up to me and thanking me for such nicely mannered kids.

6. If they ran around the store, I abandoned my trolley and left. Had to do that twice.

Despite my moaning, they've turned out to be good kids.

I dislike badly behaved children with a passion. I prefer well mannered dogs. But like anything, it's up to the parents/owners. Stupid people ruin it for the rest of us.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I've found my forum and FB experiences much less relaxing once my oldest son learned to read and was reading over my shoulder :laugh: which was probably around the end of Kindergarten. My youngest starts school next year, soon nothing will be safe!

I've found my forum and FB experiences much less relaxing once my oldest son learned to read and was reading over my shoulder :laugh: which was probably around the end of Kindergarten. My youngest starts school next year, soon nothing will be safe!

yep, they do a pretty good job in pre-school and Kindergarten in the meanwhile...