New Camera Help

silentchild

I just bought myself a Nikon D3300 today and am very excited! I'd like to get a better lens for it as it came with just a 18-55mm kit lens. I've heard good things about the nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens for beautiful portraits with bokeh, is this a good one to get? I mostly want to take nice portrait-like shots of my pets, but also a decent amount of action shots with fast running, agility etc. What lens should I be looking at for that?

I am very inexperienced - previously with work I have shot using a D60 and D3000 - I preferred the D60 by far, but I only used kit lenses with both and have very minimal knowledge about the settings. Basically just messed around with the aperture and shutter speed as I shot, without going much into anything technical at all.

I'd really like to understand my new camera and how to use it to the best of its ability properly, but all the technical jargon has me very lost!! :o Can anyone suggest some good settings that I should use on my D3300?

Also, should I be shooting in JPEG or RAW? I've always heard RAW is better but unless I want print quality should I just stick to jpeg to save on space?

Thank you so much - I can't wait to start shooting!

Edited by silentchild

Hi Silentchild,

I use Canon so can not comment on the Nikor 50mm 1.8 but the Canon equivalent is cheap and crappy in my opinion.

For action shots I would be leaning towards a zoom lens (55-300mm or similar), depending on the price you want to spend will depend on the quality you can get.

If I was looking at getting a prime lens (like the 50mm) I would lean more towards 100mm lens.

As for shooting in Jpeg or Raw it will depend on if you have a good editing program as all RAW photos will require some editing. Using just Jpeg will allow you to upload photos straight from your camera without having to do anything to the photos, it also uses less room on your SD/CF card so you can take more photos.

Hope this has helped you :)

Leanne

Great post Snook. If you do decide to go down the RAW route, I just wanted to second the recommendation for Damien's courses. They're relatively cheap and you get a year of feedback from Damien to cement your learning. I've only started a few weeks ago and I have learnt so so much.

^ As above. Just get out there and shoot! The 50mm is a fabulous little lens and is so far beyond the 18-55 that I think you'll love it! Sometimes I found it a touch long for shooting indoors on a DX camera, but it is a great all rounder (although not ideal for action coming front on). The Sigma 35mm Art is my current favourite and has been for the last 12 months, but I am portraits/weddings, so it is ideal for me.

http://www.camerapro.com.au/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-hsm-lens-for-canon-eos-australian-stock.html/

Wow thanks so much for the information everyone! I will check out that class you linked, Snook. :) As for editing I'm not fazed as I use Photoshop professionally, but I was under the impression that RAW files need to be edited in Lightroom? Is this not the case? I've never used Lightroom before so there's where I worry. Also the thought of having to painfully edit every single photo I take, which often goes into hundreds per shoot LOL.

Is there such thing as a lens that combines the nice portrait abilities of the 50mm with the fast speed shooting for action shots of the 70-200mm? Wishful thinking hahaha I hoped I could get away with splurging on just one lens! :laugh:

In terms of editing, Lightroom is a raw processor like Adobe Camera Raw is the raw processor for Photoshop (it's the same sliders and algorithms). Lightroom also has organisational capabilities and the ability to create album layouts and the like but I personally don't like it and don't use it and do everything with the combination of Bridge (for sorting and batch editing raw edits), Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. It's just a matter of what you prefer although it's worth being aware that in Lightroom the histogram isn't 100% accurate and you also have to edit in soft proofing mode if you want your photos to look the same on the internet/facebook and in print, as Lightroom uses the ProPhoto colour space by default and screens can't display the full range of ProPhoto colours, nor can they be printed. If you have a super screen that can display the full range of AdobeRGB colours and use a lab that prints AdobeRGB, you can use that soft proofing option although web displays sRGB, so you'll still get some colour alteration when you post to the internet. I personally use sRGB in ACR as I know that what I see in PS is exactly what I'll see on the internet and in print and you can soft proof in sRGB in Lightroom too but you have to remember to turn the soft proofing on.

The 24-70mm 2.8 is fast enough for sports and is a great portrait lens but you won't have the reach you need for shooting agility and the like. You need a much longer lens for that. It's also fairly expensive. The 70-200 (both the 2.8 and 4) is a gorgeous portrait lens as well as great for action shots but you'll need something wider than 70mm for a lot of stuff too.

ETA: If you have a lot of shots all in the same light and setting (so say a bunch of shots at an agility competition) you can manually edit one and then batch edit the rest and just apply the same settings to all of the others. It only takes a few button clicks to do it.

Oh it all sounds so technical and confusing. :o I guess before I start worrying about it I should experiment with shooting a bit in RAW then messing with Camera Raw to see how it works. Need to buy a SD card first before I can experiment.... my photos will just be for casual use, to post on facebook and maybe print out a couple that I like, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much? It's not like I will be selling shots I guess. :o But would be interesting to push the limits and see what sort of photos I can get.

I will have to be content with the kit lens until I save up enough for a better lens. The 70-200 f4 sounds like a go. I don't think I'll be shooting agility much, but more action shots of my own dog, or the occasional trial/show. Are there any brands for the lens you'd recommend? I've heard good things about tamron?

Sorry I shoud have clarified too. :o I understood what you said but having no experience with Lightroom it all seems overwhelming! We shoot JPEG at work so it was just editing straight into Photoshop, no Bridge or ACR. Occasionally Fireworks but just for batch resizing, etc. I use Photoshop more for graphic and web design work.

Thanks for the link to Sail Away's thread, I've read through it all. I didn't originally mean to buy the D3300 but there was a clearance sale going on at Officeworks and they were so heavily discounted I just couldn't resist! So from what I understand as it goes, I should be looking at buying both the prime 50mm lens and the 70-200 f4 lens... I don't really understand what the f numbers mean... :o

I would love RAW tips, thank you so much. But no rush please - I still need to take my first shots LOL. I am going through that udemy course at the moment. So much to learn!!!

OMG thank you so much Snook!!! You are amazing!! :thumbsup: Looks like I have A LOT of studying to do!

Thank you for the explanation about the f numbers... that makes sense. Stupid question.... how do the XXmm - XXmm then come into play? So say 70-200mm f4, so that means f4 is a lowish number, and does the 70mm - 200mm mean how far it can zoom? So a 70mm zooms more than a 50mm?

OMG I feel stupid just reading that... sorry I'm such a noob. :o :o :o

For shooting action a zoom makes life a lot easier because most of us can't run and shoot steadily (or even just run.. lol) at the same pace as our subjects. A lens with a fixed aperture that doesn't change as you zoom in and out and that has a fast focusing motor will also make life much easier and increase your success rate. The 70-200 2.8 is perfect for this sort of photography but it's got a huge price tag and weighs a lot. A more economical version is the 70-200 f4 lens. It focuses just as quickly as the 2.8 and is much lighter to handle but it will still cost you several hundred dollars. There are other zooms on the market that aren't as good but may suit your budget a lot better although I think they all have variable apertures, so you'd need to learn how to manage that and you may have a little more trouble nailing as many shots but that might still be fine for you right now.

(Please picture a slightly overwhelmed looking face as I ask this)

But...would you have a suggestion on one of the bolded for a Nikon d3100? Is there a term or phrase I can use to hunt around for a second one on ebay? A fixed aperture sounds like a godsend as I try to use my poor camera. Currently just have the lens it came with.

For shooting action a zoom makes life a lot easier because most of us can't run and shoot steadily (or even just run.. lol) at the same pace as our subjects. A lens with a fixed aperture that doesn't change as you zoom in and out and that has a fast focusing motor will also make life much easier and increase your success rate. The 70-200 2.8 is perfect for this sort of photography but it's got a huge price tag and weighs a lot. A more economical version is the 70-200 f4 lens. It focuses just as quickly as the 2.8 and is much lighter to handle but it will still cost you several hundred dollars. There are other zooms on the market that aren't as good but may suit your budget a lot better although I think they all have variable apertures, so you'd need to learn how to manage that and you may have a little more trouble nailing as many shots but that might still be fine for you right now.

(Please picture a slightly overwhelmed looking face as I ask this)

But...would you have a suggestion on one of the bolded for a Nikon d3100? Is there a term or phrase I can use to hunt around for a second one on ebay? A fixed aperture sounds like a godsend as I try to use my poor camera. Currently just have the lens it came with.

My suggestion would be the same for your camera. A 70-200 2.8 (very heavy and expensive but awesome) or a 70-200 f4 (much lighter and cheaper but still several hundred dollars new and also awesome). You'd be able to get results on eBay by using those as a search but there are also groups on FB just for buying and selling camera gear. I'm happy to get some links for you if you want them?

Yes please! I think if I can grab one secondhand somewhere would be awesome. Doesn't have to be soon but it'd be good to keep an eye out so I can snap it up!

Snook, how do you feel about the Canon 85mm 1.8 lens? It's used by one of my favourite pet photographers and the results are always stunning. She also uses the 11-24mm 4L and 135mm 2.0 for action shots. I am guessing they are probably super expensive lens? Are Canon lenses compatible with Nikon cameras? :confused:

Edited by silentchild

Ah I see. I wonder how she'd be able to nail an action shot from a prime lens. For example this was shot with a 135mm 2.0. I am enthralled that it manages to get the bokeh background on an action shot. :love:

12144743_1035305733187329_301587021406533529_n.jpg?oh=9b502b33d70303d8dabd020ffe080b79&oe=56F7C177

Between the 85mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8, which one would you recommend more? Would the camera body make a difference or is it mostly the lens that's used? I am guessing that even with the best lens in the world I won't be able to achieve the same effect with my D3300 body?

If a canon lens can't be used on a Nikon body, does that mean I can't use a nikkor or tamron lens either? (not unless I have an adapter?)

:confused:

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, thank you so much for the explanation. I have been reading up about the 50mm vs the 85mm and a lot of websites seems to say the 50mm is built terribly?? But is better for close up shots whereas the 85mm is better for outdoors? Oh dear, I'm super torn now. I found this website that rents lenses out so you can test them and see what you like, has anyone ever had any experience with them before? https://rentalens.com.au/

I have both - Snook is right, 85mm will mostly be too long for indoors (sometimes the 50mm is too). That's pay off with primes though - gorgeous lenses, but you can't zoom in or out. The 50mm is a brilliant all rounder and I also used it exclusively for years. My dad inherited mine when I bought the 35mm, I use it and the 85mm for weddings now.

Thank you for the advice, it all is very sound and I will definitely take it on board. I plan to learn and mess around with the kit lens first for a few months until I get a feel of the camera, and then I will go to a camera shop like you suggested and try out the different lens. :)

To clarify, are we talking about the 50mm 1.2,1.4 or 1.8? From what I've read there's vast differences between them?

Edited by silentchild

I don't even know the difference between D and G and would have just bought the cheapest one (which is D) without even knowing. :( And I thought the 50mm we have been talking about all along is the D. Have been reading and watching all the information for the past two nights and feeling a bit overwhelmed!! :(

Took a couple of shots today and whilst the camera is great but very similiar to what I've shot in the past, so I am feeling a bit unsatisfied and really want to get some good glass soon.

Edited by silentchild

Oh dear, I have no idea if my body has auto focus or not... haha...

Testing out some shots, got a teeny tiny hint of bokeh with the lemon shot LOL

Gonna have lots of fun with this baby once I get a few different lenses. I do wish it had a dedicated ISO button instead of having to go into the menu every time. Also having trouble capturing the colour of the sky.

12226926_10154245005075016_3488269965792978691_n.jpg?oh=da4606717791cb8ad39a2dc5585ff936&oe=56B1BF6E

12208259_10154245004870016_499616955631918436_n.jpg?oh=a7359b80713f4b1813844c3e4349effe&oe=56B07528&__gda__=1458478211_8a80d50b84a6647c53e89eb80768bb7c

12250172_10154245005250016_906462939742444861_n.jpg?oh=5d645e0614b8e8c39a746195d909dee4&oe=56F8F6A7

vx4yq.jpg

Edited by silentchild