Help Avoiding Ticks At Northern Beaches

Jamie M

hey good people

new here, first post, be gentle on me now.

I have a B/W 7 yr old Border Collie, Rex, he was rescued from Blacktown shelter 6 yrs ago, he was in bad condition but i took him in and looked after him.

I wish to take him fishing with me around the Northern Beaches, early morning, nights, so to avoid crowds (and being cooler), but i'm concearned about ticks, i have been to the beaches quite a few times but in autumn, when there does not seem to be any ticks about, so never any issues.

I keep hearing reports on how bad the ticks are, but not sure if this is the case, I see people all the time up there with their dogs. It is really good for Rex to get out, he is VERY quiet, and just sits next to me on the sand.

I was thinking if i could avoid sand dunes and grassy/bush areas, and just walk around the shore, i would most likely avoid the ticks (for me as well)

If anyone here lives up the northern beaches and can offer some advice that would be great.

many thanks in advance...

Edited by Jamie M

This is basically the same as saying "if I sit still will mozzies annoy me?"

In my opinion - your best line of defense is a spot on designed for ticks, applied as instructed on the pack coupled with a full search when you've got him home. Every time you take him to a high risk area.

To be really honest - I have a short haired, mostly white dog - and I was beside myself when I recently took him to a tick area. I think I would probably avoid taking him if I owned a long haired, mainly Black dog. But... ya gotta live your life...

Edited to add: http://kb.rspca.org.au/how-can-i-protect-my-dog-from-tick-paralysis_523.html

Edited by Scottsmum

It's probably worthwhile using some sort of tick prevention product, whether that be a collar, spot on or oral treatment as well as avoiding the scrubby areas.

Ticks are horrible little creatures and I would rather never give one the chance to get a foothold and stay put on my pup.

hm, sandy beaches, dunes ...to my knowledge this is not the typical 'tick' environment...however, if your way to the beach also includes grazing land with cattle and higher grass / bushes then I wouldn't risk it without any form of prevention.

hm, sandy beaches, dunes ...to my knowledge this is not the typical 'tick' environment...however, if your way to the beach also includes grazing land with cattle and higher grass / bushes then I wouldn't risk it without any form of prevention.

um....quick google of "tick zones Australia" gives us this... Not entirely 100% a hard and fast rule but coastal areas are tick areas. Deadly-Paralysis-Tick-Zone-Australia.jpg

Best to be safe rather than sorry.

you are right, I saw even maps that are showing an even bigger distribution range...however, if you drive to the beach for fishing and stay, lets say in a zone of 50-100m from the water and it is not grazing land, then I believe the chances catching a tick are minimal as the typical sand / dune environment is not tick area. Give your dog a good swim in saltwater will also help.

Would I risk it?...likely not, but it is not a question for us anyway as we walk our dog in all kind of areas and also really tick infested areas (wife removed 17 ticks from her when we got her!!!...she was fine so ...the dog I mean) so it is not a question for us.

Yes ticks are coastal in areas, but typically more scrubby.

I am in Brisbane and they are rampant around here.

In saying that, the only two ticks my dogs have ever had have been from my own backyard :laugh:

and we hike weekly and walk through bush each day.

And tick prevention did nothing against them, so i dont bother with it anymore.

They get a spritz of tea tree oil before going bushwalking for mozzie repelling, may also help with ticks as i havent had another incident, but who knows.

ETA: for piece of mind, put your dog on something, but also keep in mind no prevention is 100% effective, so checks are still needed :)

Edited by denali

Hey thanks all for the replies.

My previous dog (RIP God bless) I took her on just about every adventure i could, from bush to beach for many years, got a tick just once, and it was September (worst time of year) but back then i don't even think i had a computer, so was not really aware of ticks, in other words i never lived in fear about ticks.

from then on i avoided spring anyway and my adventures started at xmas, then went to autumn/winter

so i'm thinking that initial hit of spring when everything goes mad, is when the ticks are everywhere. rest of the year must be pretty restricted to dense areas.

when you think about it, ticks are a parasite, like all parasites they won't be sitting somewhere where there is no hosts. so i'm thinking they won't be between the high and low tide marks on the beach, among the crabs and salt water. and not around areas that get a thousands feet stopping on during the day, but up away from the shore where there are rabbits, bandicoots, birds etc.

mind you this is just a theory :)

i have had a lot of life problems for a long time, and just need to get out there and live.

just found this too. http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy-natural-tick-repellent-that-really-works-essential-oils/

Edited by Jamie M

I live inland & get ticks, but I have always found the long grass & scrubby coastal vegetation is worst for ticks. I use Nexgard monthly. Have been using it for 12 months now..it's great. No problem with the dogs going swimming anymore, like I had with Advantix :)

Use an oral preventative- Nexgard or Bravecto. Ticks are horrible little creatures and its not worth the risk in that area to not use a preventative.

Use the orals and go have fun without stressing TOOO much. Still perform tick checks after a visit but know that you have a back up if you do miss one. :thumbsup:

I live on the northern beaches and honestly, you can't avoid them. They're everywhere and the reports about how bad they are is true, they are bloody well everywhere. My vet recommends the oral preventatives this year, and advantix too. The best thing you can do is be vigilant about checking your dog. We do 2-4 tick checks a day. Ticks are the work of the devil but I wouldn't let it stop you from having fun :)

Our Vets recommended Bravecto so far so good, but we had any for a while so not sure how effective it is ??

Frontline spray is the most effective but expensive, especially for three dogs. As you only have one it should not be so costly. If you need to, Pet-N-Vet Direct.com is the best to purchase from.

Recommend daily searches and checks.

Recommend get your dog shorn for physical checks and searches.

Also recommend you don't take your dog on beaches on the Northern Beaches of Sydney unless you want to donate to local Councils funds as the Rangers are vigilant and we think on a rewards bonus just the same as parking. :laugh:

Bayview is the best place to take your dog for a swim, but weekends are very busy so be warned. :) But fishing not so good at Bayview. :)

If you would like a social dog greet and meet please let us know and we can arrange. :) Or if you want to go for a fish together let us know. :)

thanks for the kindness Lucky-Dog

it is really slack you know, probably had a handful of people cause trouble with their dogs once, now everyone has to pay for it.

i might end up giving sydney a miss, and just take a day up the coast every few weeks, it is so quiet up there, no rangers, and deserted beaches during the week.

regarding the tick stuff, i won't use chemical products, if i can't use it on myself, then i won't put it on my dog. there was like 44000 cases last yeas just in the US for issues with flea and tick spot on's and tablets, some horrific stories.

i'm prone to bad luck, so i just can't take the chance.

thanks for the kindness Lucky-Dog

it is really slack you know, probably had a handful of people cause trouble with their dogs once, now everyone has to pay for it.

i might end up giving sydney a miss, and just take a day up the coast every few weeks, it is so quiet up there, no rangers, and deserted beaches during the week.

regarding the tick stuff, i won't use chemical products, if i can't use it on myself, then i won't put it on my dog. there was like 44000 cases last yeas just in the US for issues with flea and tick spot on's and tablets, some horrific stories.

i'm prone to bad luck, so i just can't take the chance.

If the US had 44000 cases of reactions from tick products...I wonder is there any statistics on just how many dogs did not react & how many dogs actually had to have treatment for ticks. :confused: It is just impossible to do a thorough body search for paralysis ticks. They can get in the ears, in the anus, eyes & gums. I would rather put my trust in a good proven tick product than just rely on my own searching. I assume you don't give your dogs any wormers either.

Hey thanks all for the replies.

My previous dog (RIP God bless) I took her on just about every adventure i could, from bush to beach for many years, got a tick just once, and it was September (worst time of year) but back then i don't even think i had a computer, so was not really aware of ticks, in other words i never lived in fear about ticks.

from then on i avoided spring anyway and my adventures started at xmas, then went to autumn/winter

so i'm thinking that initial hit of spring when everything goes mad, is when the ticks are everywhere. rest of the year must be pretty restricted to dense areas.

when you think about it, ticks are a parasite, like all parasites they won't be sitting somewhere where there is no hosts. so i'm thinking they won't be between the high and low tide marks on the beach, among the crabs and salt water. and not around areas that get a thousands feet stopping on during the day, but up away from the shore where there are rabbits, bandicoots, birds etc.

mind you this is just a theory :)

i have had a lot of life problems for a long time, and just need to get out there and live.

just found this too. http://www.primallyinspired.com/easy-natural-tick-repellent-that-really-works-essential-oils/

Sorry just read this- my friend is a vet in a high tick area. They have had at least one dog die at their clinic from ticks every month this year :cry: Usually because they need to be ventilated rather than secondary complications, but some have just been too sick.

We are now saying in all coastal NSW areas that tick season is all year round.

I have also had tick cases in my area- which is a very low tick area due to council bringing in mulch and a few day-trippers taking their dogs to the beach.

While I dislike chemicals I weigh up the risk of giving the chemical vs the risk of a tick. The chemical has a relatively low risk of making my dogs sick, but any tick WILL make my dog sick.

Ticks can cause cardiac damage even after successful treatment and dogs need to be kept on very restricted exercise for weeks after a tick.