Pancreatic Enzymes And Stomach Cancer

dollygirl

Our 14 yr old mixed breed, rescue dog, Skip, appeared to be healthy for his age until Wednesday. Was diagnosed on Wed night with severe anemia. He suffered Pancreatitis just over a year ago and has lost lots of weight and we turned the pancreatitis around. However he became too thin and was always ravenous, so I started him on Pancreatic enzymes 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone know if the enzymes are acidic? Because he has now been diagnosed with Stomach and Spleen cancer is in on 2 types of anti acid drugs for ulcers. I am really concerned now that giving him the enzymes has caused a stomach bleed, as there has been blood in his stools and vets believe he suffered a bleed. Skips prognosis is bad and we are heartbroken that he won't be with us much longer, but the thought that maybe I made things worse giving him the enzymes is making me feel worse. When I originally took him to Vets on Wed I confessed about the enzymes and was told that if he needed they then great..but they wouldn't hurt him if he didn't need them. Now I am not sure given the new news.

I doubt the pancreatic enzymes have made any difference to the course of the cancers. Any change in the level of gastric acid secretion is most likely due to the stomach cancer and nothing to do with the digestive enzymes. The bleeding could be from a mass in the stomach or possibly even the spleen. Antacid medication is a routine thing to do whenever there is a concern about gastric ulceration or bleeding. i know it is hard to do, but don't beat yourself up. There isn't much you could have done to prevent this from occurring, and from the sounds of it you were on top of it and at the vets quickly.

Edited by Rappie

I doubt the pancreatic enzymes have made any difference to the course of the cancers. Any change in the level of gastric acid secretion is most likely due to the stomach cancer and nothing to do with the digestive enzymes. The bleeding could be from a mass in the stomach or possibly even the spleen. Antacid medication is a routine thing to do whenever there is a concern about gastric ulceration or bleeding. i know it is hard to do, but don't beat yourself up. There isn't much you could have done to prevent this from occurring, and from the sounds of it you were on top of it and at the vets quickly.

Thank you for your reply..I will be able to maybe get some sleep tonight. Yes there is a 4 x 6 cm mass on the wall of his stomach.

:( That cancer may have been present for quite some time - your caring in giving him the enzymes has not (AFAIK) made things worse.

Cancer doesn't care ..he is old, and was perhaps weakened by the pancreatitis , so progression may have hastened .

NOT your fault :)

:( That cancer may have been present for quite some time - your caring in giving him the enzymes has not (AFAIK) made things worse.

Cancer doesn't care ..he is old, and was perhaps weakened by the pancreatitis , so progression may have hastened .

NOT your fault :)

Thanks Persephone, the validation helps. I didn't think it would be so hard to face as he has lived his live well and is much loved, but I feel a bit worn down, lost a little pug a few weeks ago and now Skip is on the downward slide..my surviving dog will be so lonely and we will miss him..not sure how long he has but will try and make it as happy as possible for him.