Bonding With Dog

Lake

I have a 7 month old standard schnauzer puppy. I'm worried because I'm just not feeling the connection with her that I have with my previous dogs.

Partly it has gotten worse lately because she's not been allowed to go to doggy day care or obedience club for the past few weeks, due to complications from her spay. This should change soon.

There's nothing that she really does wrong - expect the jumping, which I've seen a trainer about. We're working on it. It's just that her personality is so different from my previous dogs.

I'm trying NILIF, and some more trick training, which she loves. I'm walking her more, but I'm wary of walking such a young dog too far.

What things have helped you bond with your dog?

Hi Lake,

I have a 13 week old Standard myself. I have heard that Standards are not that affectionate and was worried that this is a trait in the breed. However, that was not the case when I met my breeders dogs. They were really friendly, which is why I decided to get one.

When I got Pepper about 7 weeks ago, I did find that it was not as easy to bond with her as with my other dog. But it's a lot better now. I think what helped was a lot of play (she loves to play), I feed her at all meals and made her wait/work for it. And lots of training. She loves training a lot more than my other dog and seems to really thrive on it. Or maybe it's the treats she gets as a result of the training that she loves. that's what's helped me and I now feel a much stronger bond with her, though it's still early.

Hope you find that with your dog as well. I think standard schnauzer's are great dogs :)

Standard Schnauzers are indeed wonderful and highly intelligent dogs. I know, I used to have one. I could just talk to him if I wanted him to do something without commanding and he would just happily do it. I have now downsized and have mini schnauzers. The one thing you should never do is compare your current pup with any of your previous dogs. Years ago, I met a woman who had a standard you dog and an older mini. I could tell she wasn't impressed by the standard and kept relating the good things about her mini and complaining about the standard who was really a lovely natured pup. According to her, she didn't like his personality. I asked her if she had children. Yes. Were they all they all the same personality. No. How did she expect here dogs to be any different to her children! Time is on your side, and once your pup is older and wiser, I think everything will fall into place.

I've felt like that about dogs before, I found once we started doing fun stuff together, such as training that it helped the bond.

And yes, not comparing them to previous dogs. It's okay to miss those dogs, but part of the fun of new puppies is the individuality they bring and the new stuff we can learn from them. At least that's what I love about it.

Stds are working dogs & need to do jobs ,there too intelligent for there own good .I have been around Stds & Minis for over 20 yrs & often find people who get stds are often disappointed because they seem to have expected something different (generally a Mini in a bigger version) or don't fully take on board what the breed is truly about ,they are a very versatile working breed ,herding,army dog,sniffer dogs ,great at obedience

I would not call them affectionate compared to many breeds BUT they are truly the most loyal around

Personally going to doggy daycare should have no factor in it .

It really comes down to what your expectations where in getting this breed (presuming its the first time owning one ) .

I personally think people get fixated on the word "bonded" at a puppy age & expect it all to be "wonderful" when this age is about frustrations.challenges & in some breeds creating a sound foundation for adulthood .

Stds are working dogs & need to do jobs ,there too intelligent for there own good .I have been around Stds & Minis for over 20 yrs & often find people who get stds are often disappointed because they seem to have expected something different (generally a Mini in a bigger version) or don't fully take on board what the breed is truly about ,they are a very versatile working breed ,herding,army dog,sniffer dogs ,great at obedience

I would not call them affectionate compared to many breeds BUT they are truly the most loyal around

Very true. Although I seem to have a broken one - my current standard Remy is the most affectionate schnauzer of any size I have ever met!

(and it took some getting used toeek1.gif)

This bonding question is really interesting. When I first got my littlest westie, Andy out of the puppy farm in 2009, it surprised me and disturbed me a little that I couldn't warm to him - and I was puzzled as to why. Never did work it out. It took some months but about 8 months later I suddenly realised I adored him - just like my older two - and it had snuck up on me. I can't tell you what changed, just that it did, but it took quite some time.

The comments about not comparing with previous dogs are very helpful. My last dog was a horror - a dog-aggressive escape artist - but she was my heart dog, and I would have walked over hot coals for her.

This schnauzer is a lovely dog. She is affectionate, just not needy like my previous ACD/bull terrier cross. I deliberately got a schnauzer because I'm in a place in my life where I can't provide for a needy dog. Really, she's being just what I asked her to be!

A big part of it is the normal teenage puppy stuff - I was having a bad day with it. My last dog was a rescue, so I didn't have to go through it. I know it's all normal, and not fair to blame on her, it's just new to me.

This schnauzer is a lovely dog. She is affectionate, just not needy like my previous ACD/bull terrier cross.

This comment is interesting because Stds would be one of the most needy/challenging dogs around hence why many don't connect or enjoy there Std ,they can be amazing fence jumpers so people often under estimate the amount of time they require in the first 12 months .

Like i say they are a true working dog count yourself lucky it sounds like you have a good puppy at present but don't underestimate a Std as not being a challenge

I think your making to much of the "rescue" word.

The training is the same whether rescue or not ,the wrong amount of training & you may end up with issues .

This is a breed that truly needs good direction ,an owner in control ,There loyalty to there owners can become very challenging especially when visitors come around

I admit I have problems to bond with some type of dogs / breeds, so for me it depends on whether the dog has the right character, size and personality (do you use 'personality' for a dog?...dogality :D ?)...I guess it is the same with people. However, if it is the right one, bonding just comes when spending time with the dog, during the training ...it just grows...

I have a 7 month old standard schnauzer puppy. I'm worried because I'm just not feeling the connection with her that I have with my previous dogs.

Partly it has gotten worse lately because she's not been allowed to go to doggy day care or obedience club for the past few weeks, due to complications from her spay. This should change soon.

There's nothing that she really does wrong - expect the jumping, which I've seen a trainer about. We're working on it. It's just that her personality is so different from my previous dogs.

I'm trying NILIF, and some more trick training, which she loves. I'm walking her more, but I'm wary of walking such a young dog too far.

What things have helped you bond with your dog?

Sometimes you just don't bond with some dogs, just like some people. Consider doing a team sport like scent work or agility that is based around fun. At 7 months she can do a 20-30 minute walk.

It took me 4 years to bond with my girl. Prior to that, she had no bond or affection for me either. It was weird. She's a lovely dog, has always been a lovely dog but I just didn't care about her short of training, and feeding and caring for her.

One day, I just thought 'I would be really sad if she wasn't around anymore', and then everything got better.

It can take a long time :)

The comments about not comparing with previous dogs are very helpful. My last dog was a horror - a dog-aggressive escape artist - but she was my heart dog, and I would have walked over hot coals for her.

This schnauzer is a lovely dog. She is affectionate, just not needy like my previous ACD/bull terrier cross. I deliberately got a schnauzer because I'm in a place in my life where I can't provide for a needy dog. Really, she's being just what I asked her to be!

A big part of it is the normal teenage puppy stuff - I was having a bad day with it. My last dog was a rescue, so I didn't have to go through it. I know it's all normal, and not fair to blame on her, it's just new to me.

Hang in there. With my new pup, I have had a few rough days as well. It's been a very long time since I had a young pup and forgot how much work they can be. The upside is that she thrives on training, so I make sure I do that with her everyday. I am learning to appreciate what this breed brings. She is a very different dog from my first. Just like my kids, they are both different and I relate to them slightly differently.