Dachshund Colours?

Kirislin

I saw a pied dachshund on the weekend. I chatted to the lady because I thought it was a cross but she said the breeder imported the parent, or parents. I looked up the standard and I find it confusing. In one part it says "no white permissible" but further down it says some colours, including pied are "highly undesirable" to me that doesn't mean they're not allowed. Could a pied dachshund be placed on the full register and shown? I'm not about to get myself a dachshund, I'm just curious.

All colours permitted but no white permissible, save for a small patch on chest which is permitted but not desirable. The dapple pattern is expressed as lighter coloured areas contrasting with the darker base. Neither the light nor the dark colour should predominate. Double dapple (where varying amounts of white occur all over the body in addition to the dapple pattern) is unacceptable. Pied, tricolour and the dilute colours isabella and blue are highly undesirable. Nose and nails black in all colours except chocolate/tan and chocolate dapple where they are brown.

Without seeing the dog it may be a double dapple.

copied the standard for all to see.

All colours permitted but no white permissible, save for a small patch on chest which is permitted but not desirable. The dapple pattern is expressed as lighter coloured areas contrasting with the darker base. Neither the light nor the dark colour should predominate. Double dapple (where varying amounts of white occur all over the body in addition to the dapple pattern) is unacceptable. Pied, tricolour and the dilute colours isabella and blue are highly undesirable. Nose and nails black in all colours except chocolate/tan and chocolate dapple where they are brown.

Without seeing the dog it may be a double dapple.

copied the standard for all to see.

Yep, I copied the standard too. It was definitely a pied dog, she called it that and I think she is a pet owner so it is what the breeder told her. To me it looked similarly coloured to something like a Tenterfield terrier, not exactly but it had a predominantly white body with some black and tan on the head and patches on its body.

Quick google search came up with this breeder in NSW. Looks like most of the pied are from America, no mention of titles or full registered names though for the dogs they have.

http://www.sedonaminiatures.com/Dachshunds.html

The American standard here (http://cdn.akc.org/Dachshund.pdf) only mentions that a small amount of white on the chest is acceptable but not desirable, no mention of pied

Kirislin:

Could a pied dachshund be placed on the full register and shown? I'm not about to get myself a dachshund, I'm just curious.

Not for long. ANKC is changing rules to see all dogs of colours described as "highly undesireable" placed on Limit register and not to be upgraded.

You'd be pushing it uphill showing a dog of a highly undesireable colour. I doubt any of these are shown. I wonder how that colour got into the breed and my guess is that a lot of Dachshund people are too.

Kirislin:

Could a pied dachshund be placed on the full register and shown? I'm not about to get myself a dachshund, I'm just curious.

Not for long. ANKC is changing rules to see all dogs of colours described as "highly undesireable" placed on Limit register and not to be upgraded.

You'd be pushing it uphill showing a dog of a highly undesireable colour. I doubt any of these are shown. I wonder how that colour got into the breed and my guess is that a lot of Dachshund people are too.

I'm thinking maybe it's gradually been bred out, rather than recently been bred in, since it's mentioned in the standard. Maybe it's like rough coated whippets, they were eventually bred out although even now I see whippets with a harsh coat that I think is a remnant of the old type of coat that some had.

Kirislin:

Do you know where "Cream" sits? Was having this discussion a few months ago with Huga. It's not mentioned in the standard, but they have black noses like yellow labradors so they aren't dilute.

Kirislin:

Do you know where "Cream" sits? Was having this discussion a few months ago with Huga. It's not mentioned in the standard, but they have black noses like yellow labradors so they aren't dilute.

It will depend on the breed standard. I've seen what looks to be cream Mini Longs shown - very pretty. Which kind of Dachie?