Heartworm Prevention

Hi all

I am a newbie and the proud parent of two little girls, a boston terrier and king charles cav (couldn't have gotten two more different looking dogs if I tried).

I am tossing up the option of the heartworm prevention needle that is annually as opposed to monthly heartworming tablets. I understand that the economically it balances out pretty evenly. Can anyone offer any experience in this area and advice? I am not sure if one is proven more effective than the other.

Thanks in advance.

i would opt for the monthly tablets.

I have a problem giving my dogs a long term injection for something that can be done monthly. There have been incidents of dogs reacting to the injection and given that it takes a year to work through the body I would not take the risk.

proheart in the USA has been recalled ( it is a six month injection there) in Australia proheart12 so far has not been proven to have had reportable side effects but it is the smame product. If you would like more info just ask and i can email you links.

I always thought the injection was cheaper? My friends maltese terrier has a yearly injection and has never had any problems with it.

I'm currently giving my dog these chewable blocks (I believe they are called 'heartguard') that you can get from the vet.

They're great, and you don't have to shove them down the back of their throat as most dogs will eat them willingly. My dog loves them.

I can't even consider the injection untill my dog is 12 months and fully grown.

My cavs used to have the heartguard chews, but last October they had the injection as I can be a bit forgetful!! My two had no immediate side effects from the injection. I guess time will tell whether there are any related problems as they get older. They are 3 and 6 (?, rescue).

Thanks for your responses. I can't let them have the needle for another 8 months, they are only 4 months now but am certainly entertaining the notion.

I like the idea that you don't have to remember each month or 4 weeks - just one hit and all done.

I just don't know if I am willing to run the risk of getting the needle and then in a years time with their next checkup find they are sick. Especially if it takes one year for it to be absorbed properly.

I keep likening it to being like our flu injections. Many people experience the worst case of the flu in their life after their first shot and then gradually, with injection upkeep, build an immunity. Not willing to take that risk with heartworm if the same is with the pets needle. . . . . make sense ? :thumbsup:

I get my vet to give my girl the yearly needle and haven't had any problems.

Isn't it the same as a yearly tetnus/strangles injection in horses (meaning it protects the body by staying in for a year ??).

dogbesotted - I'd be interested in any information you can give regarding jab vs tablet.

The choice of monthly vs yearly is really one that is up to you - I tend to recommend either Sentinel or Advocate to clients, but am more than happy to discuss the Proheart injection. I think its one of those things that is best for people that are either unable or unwilling to administer a monthly treatment.

It's not really a vaccination - the flu / strangles / parvo etc vaccinations are a dose of antigen that elicits an antibody response in the body and their duration of effect isn't known specifically (other than "spot" titre testing) so they are administered at fairly arbitrary intervals. The heartworm injection is made up of microspheres of the drug that breakdown and distribute through the body over time (approx 12 months). The 6 month product available in the US, although the same active ingredient, was a different formulation to the product used here and the same reactions haven't been seen.

We dont recommend the yearly jab to our puppy owners ,there have been far to many well documeted cases of health issues related to this & infact the product was withdrawn from the US for a while & the one used in australia is of a higher rating S12 i believe.

There are many vets that dont use the product or recommend it.

That stuff gives me the creeps by how THICK it is!!!!! It takes sooooooooo much effort to get that stuff into the needle when you're making it up. I don't want that in my puppy's system no matter what the convenience! My puppy loves the heartworm chews and I'm keen to start on Sentinal Spectrum soon so I wont be touching the needle

I have to odd couple 2- min pin x chi and daschound x jackrussell. I get some fuuny looks when they go out! :cry:

I just do the heartgaurd monthly chewable tablet because normal tablet i find are too hard to give and my 2 spit them out. They seem to like the beef flavoured treat.

If you are good with remembering dates than go an monthly tablet but if not maybe the injection is the way to go. I haven't used the injection so i don't know much about it. :thumbsup:

George - the injection can be cheaper for smaller dogs depending on where you source your dogs medication...but for bigger dogs it's way more then monthly heartworm medication.

I have two 7 month old pups and am giving the chews each month. Then I have to make a decision about the annual injection when they have their next vaccinations. I had two older girls who I lost 12 days apart just before Christmas. They died of a hemolytic anemia - very nasty and very quick. Heartwom medication is linked to this as a cause as are many other things. My big girls were on the annual injection for quite a few years. I don't know if it contributed or not. Its certainly convenient.

The horrible thing about looking after our pets is that there are so many nasties we have to treat with vaccines and prevention pills and these along with a lot of other things they are exposed to can cause equally horrible things.

I didn't find the cost of the injection more expensive than the chews because I would have it done at vaccination time and probably saved a consultation fee by having two girls instead of 1.

In any case. if you've ever seen a heart worm at your vets clinic - use something - what a horrible parasite!

Hanksy Mum - I agree that the heartworm is horrible and just one of the many possible "illnesses" that our dogs can pick up.

I am extremely cautious about which is best as our Kelpie X, Zac, that was rescue was diagnosed with it when he was about 5 yrs old. The emotional burden, not to mention financial, was extreme on our family and I don't want to go through that with my new little girls :thumbsup:

They are currently on tablets I got at their 12 week vaccination, however curiously both of our breeders posed the question of "heartworm being an issue in your state". I thought heartworm can be contracted anywhere nationally and internationally? I mentioned it to our vet and she raised her eyebrows too.

Regardless, I want to make the best decision for my dogs. At the moment I am leaning towards the monthly dose of heartguard (we actually used it with Zac before and after he was diagnosed).

Rappie - I appreciate the explanation of what makes up the dose as opposed to the flu "vaccine" for people.

I thank you all for your comments - certainly raised a few good points. :cry:

I give our boys Heartgard Chews - they just love them and seem to think they are getting a special treat.

I did consider giving them the yearly needle but after hearing of a few dogs who had died following the injection - I decided against taking the risk.

I suppose I thought heartworm was everywhere too because there's lots of dicussion on its prevention in Australia and the States. Its carried by mosquitoes so in addition to your prevention keep the mossies down too - use citronella and if you have any water in ponds or containers outside put fish in the ponds or empy old containers - pots etc. You'll never stop all the mozzies but the fewer the better - FOR EVERYONE!!

I suppose I thought heartworm was everywhere too because there's lots of dicussion on its prevention in Australia and the States. Its carried by mosquitoes so in addition to your prevention keep the mossies down too - use citronella and if you have any water in ponds or containers outside put fish in the ponds or empy old containers - pots etc. You'll never stop all the mozzies but the fewer the better - FOR EVERYONE!!

Proheart info:

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/proheart6091304.html

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/PH6QA.htm

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr05/050415c.asp

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/Documents/FINALVMAC...art%20SR12'

In the Executive Summary it refers to the Proheart SR-12 being used in Australia.

Note this refers to proheart 6 marketed in the uSA. ^ monthly injections

in Australia it is Pro heart 12..yearly injections.

The major concern I harbour is that proheart 6 used in the states is

one third the potencey of the proheart sr12 used here in Australia.

This triple dose has been marketed here since October 2000.

Fort dodge tell our vet the formulations are different but the only

difference I can find between the ausssie proheart and the yankee

one is the extra moxedictin increase in the aust. one.

I prefer to err on the side of caution..rather than convenience.