Little Red Man’S Roller Coaster Journey:

Loving my Oldies

Thanks Boronia. He is much better. Once all the throws up were over, he was okay. He is on yet another med, though :( Doxycycline twice a day for 10 days as he is getting a bit of fluid build up despite being on a diuretic as well.

His weight is stable though, which is good, as I don’t know from one day to the next whether or what he will eat.

His latest trick, and a dangerous one, is wrapping himself around my desk chair (which is an office chair on wheels). So I have to remember if or when I want to move the check as I have rolled over his tail a couple of times.

And apopros of nothing, this is Bunter who has decided to hide away from the big bad world (or maybe he knows I am coming with HIS meds):

IMG_0481_zpsg6kcv46c.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD its so good to hear Danny is on the mend - yes its amazing how much stuff can come up out of a little dog. Mac was on Doxycycline for the last 8 -10 months of his life and did very well on it. Its an oldie but a goodie. I hope Danny does well on it too. BTW thats a gorgeous quite you have on your bed! smile.gif

BTW thats a gorgeous quite you have on your bed! smile.gif

I guess you mean quilt :rofl: :rofl:

Actually, I had the curtains in my lounge room re-made into curtains and quilt for my bedroom. I loved the material, but it was quite wrong for my lounge which is light and casual.

When I finally get around to re-hanging the curtains after the painting debacle :( :( , I’ll take another pix. That photo is a bit washed out.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Yeah I meant quilt - damn auto-correct! Actually using upholstery fabric for a quilt when you have dogs who sleep on the bed is a great idea DD - much more hard wearing and and opens up the choices no end! Thanks!! Might do that next time!

Yeah I meant quilt - damn auto-correct! Actually using upholstery fabric for a quilt when you have dogs who sleep on the bed is a great idea DD - much more hard wearing and and opens up the choices no end! Thanks!! Might do that next time!

The dogs can no longer jump onto the bed, WM, otherwise I would have the door closed. They are allowed on the bed, of course, but only when the quilt is off -LOL. Mean mean mummy !!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny old day, today :( . Was awakened at about 6.30am being my poor boy being violently ill. Put my elbow in it as I sat up to hold him :vomit: . As he’d missed the protector I put under him at night, all the bedclothes needed washing, so decided it was pointless to go back to bed. Nice overcast day to get things done ..... after the clean up.

Dumped all the soiled bedding on the deck to scrape off before putting into the washing machine and made sure Danny was comfortable. He just went back to sleep leaving me to it. :scold: (Came out later to find him munching !!)

Threw on some clothes, quick coffee and Bunter and Tamar for a walk before taking them to the vet: Tamar for dental and Bunter for laser treatment.

Back home and start of Danny’s medication regime. He is fine after his throw up, but very tired.

So only two dogs until later this evening. Feels very strange.

Oh - washing machine working overtime LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

We carry on in much the same way. Danny has good days and not so good days. During the not so good days, he throws up quite a bit, but funnily enough it doesn’t seem to worry him as these throws aren’t great heaving episodes that can be exhausting - rather he just squirts out whatever he wants and goes on his way.

The vet took him off the Doxycycline as it wasn’t having the desired result regarding his coughing and he is now on a puffer :eek: . He is such a good boy and just lies in my arms while I hold the spacer over his nose and give him gentle massages.

HOWEVER - BIG DAY TOMORROW !!!!

DANNY TURNS 17!!! :love: :love: :love:

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

And here is the most gorgeous little red man in the whole world :laugh: :laugh: IMG_0471_zpsouydrgk0.jpg

Thanks everyone. He is a totally special darling and I am his. Even though he doesn’t know where I am until I am right in front of him, when I come back from walking the others or just from being out, his tail goes at 100 miles an hour and sometimes he even jumps around like spring lamb.

His favourite treat is dried liver and cuddles with him mum.

• 2 months later...

My dearest little boy is tottering on. I am very worried today, though. He has been losing weight steadily and not eating very well. :cry: :cry: Today he is not very well, but we do have an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

His tail still wags madly when I return home from walking the other dogs and in the mornings, when he is ready to get up (off the bed) he barks and I go running. He will be standing there, tail wagging madly waiting for me to carry him downstairs. He has a little wander around the back yard and, when he is ready, he can still come up the ramp unaided.

I often find myself in tears these days, wondering how on earth I am going to cope when he is gone. He has been with me now for over 14 years ....... a long time.

I just saw the picture above. Your Danny is such a darling little man! I'm so sorry to hear that he is unwell, losing weight and not eating well. :(

Your description of him reminds me of our late papillon who passed on his 17th birthday. I too used to carry him downstairs for a "turn about the garden" (a little potter and sniff) and then back up again. He'd wait at the stairs for his chariot. Your dear little red man knows he is loved. :)

It hurts. It feels like your heart has been ripped out. But when you feel like you can't cope you carry on, because they loved you fiercely and it's what they would have wanted.

My dearest little boy is tottering on. I am very worried today, though. He has been losing weight steadily and not eating very well. :cry: :cry: Today he is not very well, but we do have an appointment with the vet tomorrow.

His tail still wags madly when I return home from walking the other dogs and in the mornings, when he is ready to get up (off the bed) he barks and I go running. He will be standing there, tail wagging madly waiting for me to carry him downstairs. He has a little wander around the back yard and, when he is ready, he can still come up the ramp unaided.

I often find myself in tears these days, wondering how on earth I am going to cope when he is gone. He has been with me now for over 14 years ....... a long time.

DD he is the most adorable little man, he reminds me so much of my Aunt's boy, Benny, who is also 17. Those little greying chops are so sweet. We have been saying for about three years that this is Benny 's last year, and he keeps surprising us. I hope little Red Man keeps surprising you.

Danny is an amazing little old man... and when it's his time, his mummy will make sure he gets his wings with the utmost dignity...

... until then DDD, chin up and treasure all the wonderful moments the dear little old man gives you, OK?

T.

Thank you all. I had to collect some meds today, so I decided to see if BARF would tempt him. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And, as usual, when I arrived home, although he was still asleep in the place where he’d been when I left, when he stirred, his lovely tail started wagging.

Papillon Kisses, many years ago, I had a little Pap x Chihuahua who was 16 when he died. Still think of him every day.