Best Dog Beds For Seniors

westiemum

Hi All,

Sorry for starting another dog bed thread - but I really need a couple of new dog beds for elderly westies Sarah and Andy - one for the lounge and two for the laundry. I'm happy with an Orvis for the lounge but even the small Orvis is too big for the laundry (and too 'spensive!).

The laundry beds can be no larger than 70 x 60 cm for one and 60 x 60 cm for the other. 50 cm on the smaller dimension is fine. I really would like to get some better quality ones that are warm and comfy on tiled floors in the winter - I'm over cheaper beds with poor quality foam that flatten out on cold tiles and fall apart after a couple of washes.

TIA. smile.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snooza beds - my girls have cuddlers in mock lambswool and they are awesome beds :laugh:

http://www.snooza.com.au/indoor-beds

The one I bought when Kenz was a baby is still going strong 7 years later. The one I bought prior to that is a little bit flatter but they now make them with zips so you can refill them if necessary.

Edited by ness

I bought my 14 year old arthritic dog a memory foam bolster bed from Costco a couple of weeks ago. It's excellent. I can lie on it without the foam squashing down until I can feel the floor like with other dog beds. Spence absolutely loves it. He had started getting restless at night and I'd find him asleep in different random places in the morning, but now he stays on his bed all night. It's big enough to fit two westies with room left over.

For the laundry I'd go with HW's suggestion. That's Spencer's outside set up.

For the laundry, I"d suggest you get them up off the floor on a small trampoline bed and perhaps with a soft basket or other soft bed on those. Are you after brand recommendations?

Yes please HW - I haven't bought beds for years and the ones in the laundry are falling apart. And now Mac has gone to God, its time the laundry beds were more suitable for Sarah and Andy rather than catering to Macs needs (for example he couldn't use a trampoline - but Sarah and Andy can).

For the laundry, I"d suggest you get them up off the floor on a small trampoline bed and perhaps with a soft basket or other soft bed on those. Are you after brand recommendations?

Totally agree with the trampoline beds to get the main bed off the floor. In summer it lets the air circulate underneath and in winter the bed isn't on cold tiles. My 14 and a half year old girl loves her Fuzzyard Eskimo bed - separate cushion with a removable cover and a lovely soft plush bed.

I've got all of mine in Costco memory foam. Just fabulous beds. They're also high enough that getting on and off doesn't seem to be a problem.

But otherwise, I use the snooza beds as insulation under some beds which are lying around. Another bed goes on top because I think the snooza ones aren't padded enough, but being wool they work very nicely all year round to help regulate the temperature.

Thanks all - I've been searching for a trampoline bed most of this afternoon that will fit in the laundry (tricky because of the configuration of the built in cupboards) and think this one will fit - just. I need to double check the measurements to make sure the 70 cm length measurement is leg to leg and not just the size of the mat. And if 70 cms is the overall dimension I think this is where I'll go for one laundry bed. (its too big for the only other spot I have). So then just have to find something to fit in the other laundry spot (around 65 cms wide) with a base that is off or insulated from the tiled floor. So keep 'em coming! thumbsup1.gif

My guys big and small love their Courage Cord baskets from Bono Fido

The other consistently big winner and perhaps the go on a trampoline would be one of the beds from Pods for Pets. Innards and covers are washable and replaceable. I have more of these in the house than I do dogs and 17.5 year Lily loves them. She's on a pod during the day and in a courage cord basket at night.

I've got all of mine in Costco memory foam. Just fabulous beds. They're also high enough that getting on and off doesn't seem to be a problem.

But otherwise, I use the snooza beds as insulation under some beds which are lying around. Another bed goes on top because I think the snooza ones aren't padded enough, but being wool they work very nicely all year round to help regulate the temperature.

Now thats a very interesting idea - I know nothing about the new Costco here in Adelaide - but it looks very like it might pay to find out!

Now thats a very interesting idea - I know nothing about the new Costco here in Adelaide - but it looks very like it might pay to find out!

You must, you must!!! I love Costco.

You must, you must!!! I love Costco.

I adore Costco! But their dog beds really are great. Remember you need membership to browse, but if you find nothing, cancel membership and get a refund. And the big trolling are there for a reason.....

Thanks all - I've been searching for a trampoline bed most of this afternoon that will fit in the laundry (tricky because of the configuration of the built in cupboards) and think this one will fit - just. I need to double check the measurements to make sure the 70 cm length measurement is leg to leg and not just the size of the mat. And if 70 cms is the overall dimension I think this is where I'll go for one laundry bed. (its too big for the only other spot I have). So then just have to find something to fit in the other laundry spot (around 65 cms wide) with a base that is off or insulated from the tiled floor. So keep 'em coming! thumbsup1.gif

I've got two of the Kazoo beds, WM - they're lasting really well.

Excellent stellnme - thank you - will wait and confirm the size and then do an order. I have enough topper type things - rugs, mats, vet bed - so all I need is the raised bed to get one of them off the floor - probably Andy who doesn't like to sleep snuggly and curled up but prefers to stretch out. Now I just have to find a snuggly bed for Sarah who does like to snuggle with her head on a pillow of course!

Thanks to that wretched enabling Roova (thumbsup1.gif) in another thread I found the Orvis website... and I kept coming back to their gorgeous memory foam dog beds for older dogs last night. Although very costly, the beds were just what I was looking for for the lounge room for Sarah and Andy and I'm so over beds that flatten out and fall apart after a couple of washes.

So in Mac's honour I've bought the flat bed for Andy who likes to stretch out and doesn't like closed in beds and the lounge-type one for Sarah who just loves lounges and cushions - both with memory foam. And yes I know they are very 'spensive! But I justified the cost that these beds should last forever, hopefully keep them off the new leather lounge and are the first really good dog beds I've ever bought (in the past I've only ever bought relatively cheap ones which have not been very good at all).

Now I just have to solve the laundry bed problem - hopefully that will happen tomorrow - and I'm done!

Here they are and yes in this colour:

post-11746-0-48428900-1448177107_thumb.jpg

post-11746-0-06448500-1448177093_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum