Do You Find

twodoggies2001

Do you find that you instinctively apologise to your dog? I was outside fertilizing the garden and watering said fertilizer in. I didn't notice Jasper was right there next to me. Needless to say, he got a bit of a soaking. The first thing I did was to say sorry to him. I don't think he really minded the soaking because he came up to me when I called him back, so I guess he forgave me.

I do it all the time, usually when I step on one of their feet (they are always in the kitchen when I'm in there) or when I shut the fridge door and their head is still in there. Whoops.

But then I do have one sided conversations with them as well. All I get back is waggy tails, or head tilts. :laugh:

Constantly. I think good manners being automatic is a good thing :)

But since having a toddler I also find myself acknowledging their feelings and telling them what's about to happen. That's probably a bit OTT :o

Edited by Weasels

Cedro is constantly under foot, he just cant help himself. Especially when I go out with a basket full of washing and cant see my feet, that's when I swear at him. I rolled over in bed last night and heard a bump and it was him, I don't think he really woke up, he just got back up and assumed the position. :)

I always say sorry to my dogs if I have accidentally stood on a foot or trip over them, but then I am always talking to them and in their own Frenchie way they talk back, we have some interesting conversations. :laugh:

I talk to mine all the time, appologise, say please and thank you and then have full conversations with them.

I don't think the Havanese or Labrador understand but I'm starting to wonder about the Samoyeds and the Shiba :laugh:

I have long conversations with them, then occasionally I'll drop a word they know in, like "Hungry" or "Walk" etc.....they don't really pay attention until I drop one of those words in and then I just carry on talking and their face is like "I'm sure you said that word.....wait, did you"? And then I have their attention. :D

I have long conversations with them, then occasionally I'll drop a word they know in, like "Hungry" or "Walk" etc.....they don't really pay attention until I drop one of those words in and then I just carry on talking and their face is like "I'm sure you said that word.....wait, did you"? And then I have their attention. :D

That's wonderfully mean... Gonna try it next time Ernie tries to dog pile me. :laugh:

I have lovely conversations with Dozer.

He's a great listener, but the conversation is usually a little one sided unless I'm holding a bowl of food.

Eta: I also apologise to Dozer all the time, I wish he could apologise for the times he's stomped on my feet though, or used me as a diving board to jump off/over the couch

Edited by Taliecat

Yes, I apologize all the time to our tibbie girls.

It amazes me what they sometimes seem to understand. Lily the tibbie next door was staying for a few days... & I muttered as I was going to call her in from the garden ..." OK you next, Miss Roberts.' (using her family's surname)'. Her head shot up & she came flying in. I didn't even get up to calling her 'Lily!' How did that little dog know she's 'Miss Roberts'?

I was thinking about this just yesterday actually, pondering that maybe they do actually understand to some extent when we apologize. I too do it all the time when I accidentally stand on someone's paw or walk into them or whack them in the head, and they always seem completely fine and relaxed as soon as I apologize. I didn't really think it meant anything to them and actually wondered how dogs that receive physical punishment from their owners respond to those inevitable accidental injuries, as surely everyone does it. How would they know if it was an accident or an intentional hit or kick because they'd done something "wrong"?

Anyway, yesterday the kids in the family I'm staying with (renting a room, and Quinn has adoooored being with the kids) were practicing "training" the dogs and Quinn didn't do what the 8 year old had asked her to so he smacked her across the nose. It wasn't hard and wouldn't have hurt her but Quinn really seemed to understand that it was intentional and was clearly taken aback. She moved away from him then and was a little reserved (SO not like her) for the rest of the evening, until the kids went to bed.

So I know there are a lot of complexities in that particular situation but on seeing the difference in Quinn's reaction to me accidentally whacking her hard in the face on occasion and immediately apologizing vs the pretty light smack to tell her off, I really get the impression that our dogs do understand when we apologize that we didn't mean to hurt them.

Edited by Simply Grand

I was thinking about this just yesterday actually, pondering that maybe they do actually understand to some extent when we apologize. I too do it all the time when I accidentally stand on someone's paw or walk into them or whack them in the head, and they always seem completely fine and relaxed as soon as I apologize. I didn't really think it meant anything to them and actually wondered how dogs that receive physical punishment from their owners respond to those inevitable accidental injuries, as surely everyone does it. How would they know if it was an accident or an intentional hit or kick because they'd done something "wrong"?

Anyway, yesterday the kids in the family I'm staying with (renting a room, and Quinn has adoooored being with the kids) were practicing "training" the dogs and Quinn didn't do what the 8 year old had asked her to so he smacked her across the nose. It wasn't hard and wouldn't have hurt her but Quinn really seemed to understand that it was intentional and was clearly taken aback. She moved away from him then and was a little reserved (SO not like her) for the rest of the evening, until the kids went to bed.

So I know there are a lot of complexities in that particular situation but on seeing the difference in Quinn's reaction to me accidentally whacking her hard in the face on occasion and immediately apologizing vs the pretty light smack to tell her off, I really get the impression that our dogs do understand when we apologize that we didn't mean to hurt them.

I hope you gave the kid an earful.