Raw Treats

Scottsmum

Hey, I read this comment online in a raw feeding group earlier today:

... (we) do not recommend antlers (tooth breakers) or carrots (veggies) or any cooked foods ...

It's very easy just to chop up some raw meat, put it on a plate and dry it in the fridge uncovered. A lot cheaper and you know exactly what's in it, (nothing but raw meat! ).

Smoked and dehydrated are not recommended either as that is still a form of cooking...

My very first thought was "F that's got to be unhygienic" :vomit:

Am I over reacting or is that really gross?

I can't imagine having that in my fridge or handling it and I don't think it would be too great for the dog either - but I am a realist and I know they eat way grosser things...

I wouldnt like it in my treat pouch either...

Hey, I read this comment online in a raw feeding group earlier today:

... (we) do not recommend antlers (tooth breakers) or carrots (veggies) or any cooked foods ...

It's very easy just to chop up some raw meat, put it on a plate and dry it in the fridge uncovered. A lot cheaper and you know exactly what's in it, (nothing but raw meat! ).

Smoked and dehydrated are not recommended either as that is still a form of cooking...

My very first thought was "F that's got to be unhygienic" :vomit:

Am I over reacting or is that really gross?

I can't imagine having that in my fridge or handling it and I don't think it would be too great for the dog either - but I am a realist and I know they eat way grosser things...

I wouldnt like it in my treat pouch either...

For the average dog owner, or even a dedicated raw feeder - that's a whole lot of effort. And gross.

And how is drying in the fridge really that different to dehydrating?

This is not directed at any raw feeders here - but some raw feeders get super fanatical about it. I really wanted to raw feed, but my dog just didn't do well on it. I really tried for 6 months, but have switched back to dry with added RMB's.

For the average dog owner, or even a dedicated raw feeder - that's a whole lot of effort. And gross.

And how is drying in the fridge really that different to dehydrating?

This is not directed at any raw feeders here - but some raw feeders get super fanatical about it. I really wanted to raw feed, but my dog just didn't do well on it. I really tried for 6 months, but have switched back to dry with added RMB's.

I suppose "fridge drying" doesn't denature the protein? I'd like to see some literature on smoking Vs Dehydrating Vs "fridge drying" - Which I suppose could have a human equivalent as salting?

I'm (well Scottie) isn't full raw... but I'm trying to integrate more and not be so squeamish. He's doing well on what I have him on so ... that's all that really matters right now but I am trying to learn as much as I can... but some of the raw groups are pretty full on - I had to leave one.

I will sometimes fridge dry little cubes of cheese & cubes of chicken rolls keep better in the fridge if they are not covered. As soon as you put them into plastic they start to sweat. Even the turkey necks I find keep better if I leave them uncovered. I don't find it gross :)

I disagree that dehydrating is like cooking. Dehydration happens at such a low temperates it is simply drying moisture. Supposedly up to 75% of moisture is removed with the process retaining almost 100% of the nutritional content of the food with the lack of moisture inhibiting the growth of bacteria.

I dehydrate multiple types of meat for treating purposes and have worked out if I leave any type of squishiness I need to keep those ones in the fridge whereas full dehydration means the meat can be left out and doesn't rot (handy when I put my hand in pockets or Im scratching around on the bottom of my bag!) If I put anything I dehydrate, fruit and veg too, in water it plumps back up and looks and tastes like the real thing. You can't do that with cooked food.

I don't understand what hard core raw feeders do for training treats? Carrying raw food around does not seem hygienic from the human side of things!

Its fine to go 100% hardcore at something, but I think any effort toward a non processed diet no matter how small should be encouraged or praised not found fault with.

Edited because I left out a bracket and my OCD couldn't handle it :D

Edited by Roova

I disagree that dehydrating is like cooking. Dehydration happens at such a low temperates it is simply drying moisture. Supposedly up to 75% of moisture is removed with the process retaining almost 100% of the nutritional content of the food with the lack of moisture inhibiting the growth of bacteria.

I dehydrate multiple types of meat for treating purposes and have worked out if I leave any type of squishiness I need to keep those ones in the fridge whereas full dehydration means the meat can be left out and doesn't rot (handy when I put my hand in pockets or Im scratching around on the bottom of my bag!) If I put anything I dehydrate, fruit and veg too, in water it plumps back up and looks and tastes like the real thing. You can't do that with cooked food.

I don't understand what hard core raw feeders do for training treats? Carrying raw food around does not seem hygienic from the human side of things!

Its fine to go 100% hardcore at something, but I think any effort toward a non processed diet no matter how small should be encouraged or praised not found fault with.

Edited because I left out a bracket and my OCD couldn't handle it :D

Great post :) Thank you - and yeh - I agree - I don't think I could cope sticking my hand into a pouch full of raw food. Maybe hard core raw feeders don't treat? Maybe they only click (I'm only being half serious here by the way).

Why do they not recommend carrots? Mine love their daily treat... Is it not good for them?

Hard core, prey model raw facebook group. No vegies of any description. No if, buts, maybes.

Do they let their dogs eat grass? What about intestines with veg matter in them?

Not poking fun, Just curious about the line.

And I use raw meat in training every night ;) I put her raw dinner in her bowl. Do a leave it. Then we clicker train on topic of the night (tonight was pivoting). After I click I pick up a spoon and scoop some out for her.

So very convulated raw treat training lol ;)

Um. There is a school of thought thay says dogs / wolves shake intestines before consuming it - therefore making the amount negligible. Could be worth popping over to the raw thread & asking if you really want to know. Im far from an aurhority.

As for handling raw meat - i often handle it. I usually ask for a few sits, drops etc and just handle his dinner to treat.

Edited to add: in last 5 mins ive seen a mod on that page say no fish for cats & no recommending chicken frames for dogs ... might be time to leave that group...

Edited by Scottsmum

Idk I'd be tempted to stay and lurk to see how far the "meat rules" go XD

Is this the raw thread in dol? Might do so. they probably have good ideas for high value treats I'm game to handhold.

Nah. Its on Facebook - but um sure the raw thread has ideas. If it's just at home i use mince & beef stroganoff strips cut up.