Does Anyone Have Any Contacts With Spainish Dog Rescue?

I have a friend who lives in Spain he often takes in dumped dogs and finds homes for them.

he was telling me yesterday how bad it is in Spain for dogs.

At the moment he has 8 dogs most of them hunting pups/dogs he is looking for homes for.

If anyone knows of a good rescue please let me know.

"Let's Adopt! Global" has a spanish branch I think.

The founder Viktor Larkhill is a bit controversial but i think much of his work is in Turkey. Could be wrong on that one, but it's worth a look-up anyway. Be careful of the graphic photos published by a few of the branches.

What about Galgos del Sol? They are based in Spain (around Murcia, I believe), and mostly rescue Galgos and Podencas, but they have rescued other breeds. I have their page "liked" on FB. They seem to really go out of their way to help every dog they get. Their website is: galgosdelsol.org

It seems they also work with other rescues around the world. It's worth a shot.

I second the Galgos del Sol suggestion and Scooby Medina is another large shelter for Galgos, which are bred up for the hunting season and then killed or abandoned at the end of it, often killed by hanging. Scooby take other breeds too, but all the Galgo shelters are under huge pressure and strapped for funds and room so may not have any capacity to help directly. By hunting dogs your friend probably means Galgos or Podencas or similar - beautiful sighthoudns who truly deserve a kinder fate. It is a huge problem.

I googled Dog Rescue in Spain & a few sites came up. I know nothing more than what would be on their websites. But I notice there's a UK group that rescues stray dogs in Spain & resettles them in the UK. If someone could do a Search in Spanish, others might come up:

PAWS Patas Home

www.paws-patas.org/‎

Welcome to PAWS-Patas - Animal Rescue in Spain. PAWS is located in the Mojácar-Los Gallardos area of Almeria province, in south-east Spain. It was formally ...

Puppy Rescue in Spain | …Because it's a Dog's Life

www.puppyrescueinspain.org/‎

Puppy Rescue in Spain is a registered charity that has been saving, caring for, rehoming, and transporting puppies since 2006. Are you looking to adopt?

SOS Animals Spain

www.sos-animals.org/‎

SOS Animals is a registered charity based in Coín near Málaga, Spain. We rescue and rehabilitate abandoned dogs for placement in forever homes in Spain , ...

Spanish Stray Dogs UK

www.spanishstraydogs.org.uk/‎

We search for kind, caring, patient forever families in the UK to adopt Spanish Stray dogs that have been rescued from the streets of Spain. Our SCIO charity ...

Animals In Distress helping Stray, Abandoned Dogs & Cats

www.animals-in-distress.eu/‎

In order to further help the animal situation here in Spain we network with several ... All the animals that we rescued were always placed at the shelter and in our ...

Home - Pepis Refuge Pepis Refuge

www.pepisdogrefuge.com/‎

The aim of the refuge is to ensure that all rescued dogs are cared for in a safe ... Since the start, Pepis has been able to re-home over 500 dogs in Europe to loving ... Alan Brian, Lista de Correos – Apartado 21, 41566 Pedrera, Seville, Spain.

Not wrong about the graphic images. I followed the links about the hunting dogs. They get a horrible deal in Spain.

Hope for some dogs, tho'. Stumbled on a story & pic where Queen Sofia adopted a little dog from a Madrid rescue group when she was attending a Companion Animal Fair. Now lives in a palace.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/05/queen-of-spain-adopts-shelter-dog

Found list of Madrid dog rescue groups:

http://madrid.angloinfo.com/information/family/pets-and-animals/local-animal-organisations/

Edited by mita

Yes Diva they are the names he used.

He said the same about hunting and killing of dogs, he is a bit radical and a vedgo but has a big heart.

One of the dogs is a bitch with her pups.

I send him those addresses.

I know of quite a few Galgos and Podencas that have made it out of Spain to be adopted by sighthound enthusiasts in Europe, or America, but it is such a big issue. They are very beautiful, sensitive hounds, and their abuse is so entrenched culturally, it is very sad.

He could perhaps have a look at the Sighthound Underground fb page, and see if they can offer any suggestions for him.

Edited by Diva

• 3 weeks later...

PAWS Patas Home

www.paws-patas.org/‎

Welcome to PAWS-Patas - Animal Rescue in Spain. PAWS is located in the Mojácar-Los Gallardos area of Almeria province, in south-east Spain. It was formally ...

paws-patas have basic accommodation on site and take lots of overseas volunteers - I've often thought I'd like to spend a couple weeks there and help with the dogs while improving my Spanish.

PAWS Patas Home

www.paws-patas.org/‎

paws-patas have basic accommodation on site and take lots of overseas volunteers - I've often thought I'd like to spend a couple weeks there and help with the dogs while improving my Spanish.

Now that's a dream which you should make come true! We have a young friend who'd learned Spanish well, just for love of it. For the last year of his journalism degree, he spent it at a uni in Spain. At the end, he was asked if he'd like to stay on & teach English. Would he ever!!!! Just loves living in Spain.

I asked him that and he said they use animals until they are of no use, then they throw them away. I think it is also povity in the country side and conditions people are living in. He bought his house with its two foot stone walls for $20,000 and a quarter of that went for bribes!

He is in a small village 4 hours from Madrid, he was also teaching English has done for years, he is also an artist. He would love to come home but he cant bring his dogs so he stays.

ps to say I told him about my Fauves and I would love to see them in action in Spain, he was disgusted with me! I have seen pics of Spanish Fauves and French Fauves they all looked in wonderful condition and well loved. That's why I couldn't understand what he told me about hunting dogs. The thought of gentle Fauves being badly treated is awful as well. Ive seen vids of a pack chasing a scent and singing its wonderful.

Edited by gillybob