Heart Stopping Moment - Scottie Escaped Today

Scottsmum

Being warmish today we let him into the garage today, which has a remote door - with a very sensitive remote. About 2pm we were off to the shops for a few things when I realised the door was open. :eek:

I grabbed my parents, they each got in a car while I started off up the street on foot - calling his name as loudly as I can and stopping at every house with a person out the front asking to return him to our place if sighted or caught.

One old couple said they thought they'd seen him about an hour earlier!!!

By that stage my step-mum was checking the park we frequent, I was about house away speaking to a man when dad came up the street and beeped his horn - I looked up and here comes Scottie galloping down the street, tongue out, tail going a million miles an hour.

I carried him home, he walked himself up the stairs, had a huge drink and put himself to bed for the rest of the day! Totally knackered - He even ate dinner in bed LOL.

I think I aged about 70 years in 15 minutes! He gets picked up tomorrow by the pet transport company before we fly together on Wednesday morning. All I could think was what the f happens if he cant fly on wednesday! :cry:

I can't even begin to say how happy I was to see him!

Makes me appreciate our one of our previous, uh, rather beautiful but very dumb dogs who'd escape (jump a 7 foot fence) then come round the front to knock on the door!

OMG omG OMG!!!Not cool little dude!!!

Totally not cool J! But I think he had a glorious time at the park.

As someone who works for a pet transport company you would not believe how often the little buggers know something is up and take themselves for a last hurrah the night before. Glad he decided to come back, lucky dude!

You're possibly right Steph - but he's an absolute devil for bolting. It's no wonder he found himself in a pound! Any chance he gets to bolt he will. It was really just a chance to take opportunity of the door accidentally opening.

Ive been there, Cedro is very sneaky and can climb anything. he seems to know when I am not watching him for a minute and he is off. When he does get out Im a mess, I race around trying to find him, but he travels so fast its hard to catch up to him especially because I don't have a car. I must loose a few days of my life when he gets out. I live on the highway and he has no road sense so its a combination of a few things that make it so stresful.

Im glad you little bloke is home safe.

Ive been there, Cedro is very sneaky and can climb anything. he seems to know when I am not watching him for a minute and he is off. When he does get out Im a mess, I race around trying to find him, but he travels so fast its hard to catch up to him especially because I don't have a car. I must loose a few days of my life when he gets out. I live on the highway and he has no road sense so its a combination of a few things that make it so stresful.

Im glad you little bloke is home safe.

Yes :( i remember reading one of your posts once. Little buggars!

I'm so pleased for you that it turned out well. But what an awful time you had after you saw Scottie was missing. I'd have been frantic, too!

Only times my tibbie girls have escaped, I mercifully didn't know it, until people phoned up to say they'd found them.

Both cases, a tradesman had been in the yard (& I hadn't realized it). And they managed to leave 3 gates open.

First time, I got a call from a nearby day care mother. Both my girls had turned up scratching at her front door. They wanted to join the children.

Second time, I got a call from the real estate office in the next block. They were having a staff meeting & my tibbie Nina Zena walked in to join them.

Yep, been there, and almost caused myself some kind of anxiety attack in the middle of it all.

Our Rottweiler Samantha got out due to some knucklehead not shutting the gate properly (eyeballs husband.

GONE FOR 3 WHOLE HOURS! A ROTTWEILER WALKING THE STREETS!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yet, it gets even better, no collar as husband took it off when he bathed her only an hour beforehand :eek: :eek:

Anyway, somewhere between heart failure and some kind of nervous breakdown oh and screaming up and down every street and searching every road near our area, she wanders up our drive way, tongue hanging out and thirsty from all the fun and thrills of her adventure. I am sure if she could talk, she would have said "What up?"

Anyway, the elation of seeing her face again, uninjured and in one piece was a relief I remember well.

Thank goodness Scottie came home.

R

GONE FOR 3 WHOLE HOURS! A ROTTWEILER WALKING THE STREETS!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rayhay, I'd understand your worry.

Coming out of our local Library, I saw a huge Rottie boy alone on the footpath & enjoying freedom. Went back inside & asked if anyone would come help me secure him, as a major road was nearby & there'd be people who'd start screaming. 2 librarians, another lady & me went outside (a couple of men made themselves scarce at the word Rottweiler).

I called him to come & he looked at me suspiciously. Then I bent down & said, 'Come on, sweetheart" 'Sweetheart' he knew....& his face lit up & he thundered across to me. Another lady said, 'Can you sit, darling?' And 'darling' sat with a thud on my foot. A librarian went inside & got a piece of string (yes, string) to attach to his collar & he happily trotted into the office with her and lay down while she called the owners from his ID. He was adorable!

Rayhay, I'd understand your worry.

Coming out of our local Library, I saw a huge Rottie boy alone on the footpath & enjoying freedom. Went back inside & asked if anyone would come help me secure him, as a major road was nearby & there'd be people who'd start screaming. 2 librarians, another lady & me went outside (a couple of men made themselves scarce at the word Rottweiler).

I called him to come & he looked at me suspiciously. Then I bent down & said, 'Come on, sweetheart" 'Sweetheart' he knew....& his face lit up & he thundered across to me. Another lady said, 'Can you sit, darling?' And 'darling' sat with a thud on my foot. A librarian went inside & got a piece of string (yes, string) to attach to his collar & he happily trotted into the office with her and lay down while she called the owners from his ID. He was adorable!

Oh. Thang dog you found him!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to crash the thread but I thought of it twice today! First I was at a fenced dog park that we occasionally go to and saw a very scared looking Whippet go running past outside the park all on her own, I called her but she wasn't stopping. A few minutes later a lady came past the park and asked if I'd seen her, explained that she'd just been rehomed from rescue and had escaped her new home and bolted :( I really hope they found her.

Then tonight I got home, in the dark, to the place I'm staying temporarily and let my dogs out the back as per usual then went about putting my stuff away inside. After a few minutes I realized I couldn't hear the dogs outside (you know that suspicious silence?!?) and went out to find someone had opened the side gate which has been closed the whole time we've been here. I ran out to the street and called and thankfully the two escapees (Quinn and Riley) seemed to be just checking out the neighbour's front yards and came running from up the street looking very happy with themselves.

They may be naughty and need constant watching so as not to destroy anything (well, not too much anyway) in my lovely hosts' house but thank goodness they are not inclined to bolt and have good recall!!

Oh, and Saxon, as per usual thinking he is one of the humans, just stayed by the back door whinging to be let back in with us :laugh:

Edited by Simply Grand

Sorry to crash the thread but I thought of it twice today! First I was at a fenced dog park that we occasionally go to and saw a very scared looking Whippet go running past outside the park all on her own, I called her but she wasn't stopping. A few minutes later a lady came past the park and asked if I'd seen her, explained that she'd just been rehomed from rescue and had escaped her new home and bolted :( I really hope they found her.

Poor girl. Poor woman. We lost dog we were babysitting once - such a terrible feeling when youre supposed to be caring for a dog who doesnt belong to you!

...(you know that suspicious silence?!?)

All too well :eek:

Glad your lot didnt get into too much mischief.