Best Food For Itchy Puppy

Jaque

Hi,

My 17 week old pomeranian seems to be an allergy/itchy skin guy. It isn't severe but nevertheless he seems to scratch more often than normal. He has some thinning of fur but it is only visible when he is wet. His vet has prescribed frequent baths which do seem to help a lot.

I have also been thinking about other things I can do for him such as his nutrition. I have some Omega Oil For Dogs that I am adding to his food and I am also thinking of changing to another brand of kibble and perhaps working in some homecooked food.

I feel pretty overwhelmed by the options. I ordered some Canadae dry food and cans but I've realized it is not for puppies specifically. Would the Canadae Puppy be a good option for kibble? Is there another brand that is better?

As far as home cooking goes, does anyone have any recipe books they can recommend?

If anything else has helped your itchy dog I would love to hear about that, too!

ETA: Percy's current food is Royal Canin Mini Junior Dry Food with various treats as well.

Edited by Jaque

Have you asked the breeder?

What diet did the breeder suggest ?

Some Poms when going through the coat change look like a horrid dummy brush & drop alot of coat in patches.

Has he always itched or just more recently.

Are you brushing the coat to help with the coat shedding process.

Treats can certainly play a big role .if your pup came from a good breeder people need to remember that us good breeders don't feed many of the crappy treats people do

What are you bathing him in & what are the treats he is getting??? Is it not possible it is a contact allergy or from a flea bite??

Shampoo: PAW Gentle Puppy Shampoo by Blackmores

Old Conditioner: Fuzzyard Naturals Lavender & Aloe Puppy Conditioner

New Conditioner as of 2 days ago: Aloveen Oatmeal Conditioner

Grooming Mist: Fido's Puppy Grooming Mist (baby powder scent)

Unbranded Treats: Chicken Jerky, Goat Tender, Kangaroo Disc, Rawhide Chew

Branded: Vets All Natural 100% Lamb Liver, VIP Natures Goodness Grain-Free Lamb & Rosemary

Other treats: Apple, cheese

I do not believe it could be a flea bite as he has been scratching a bit since I brought him home over a month ago and has never had any fleas visible in his coat. It's not super focused although he does favour his head and ears. I wonder about contact allergy as well. To my mind the fact that bathing often helps seems to suggest that something is in contact with the skin irritating it. I don't imagine an internal allergy like food would be affected by bathing. I have also seen him rub his face/eyes a few times when we are outdoors. This made me wonder if an outdoor substance like grass or pollen could be involved?

Have you asked the breeder?

What diet did the breeder suggest ?

Some Poms when going through the coat change look like a horrid dummy brush & drop alot of coat in patches.

Has he always itched or just more recently.

Are you brushing the coat to help with the coat shedding process.

Treats can certainly play a big role .if your pup came from a good breeder people need to remember that us good breeders don't feed many of the crappy treats people do

I have asked the breeder and she seemed perplexed although she did urge me to feed him how she was (mostly homecooked plus kibble).

I am aware of the puppy ugly stage however, other than itching, Percy has not shown any sign of beginning that phase. Also the itching was present when I first got him at 3 months.

I have been brushing a little bit every day but not using the right technique. I just got back from a vet nurse appt where she showed me the proper way to brush and trim his coat and trim his nails. She was extremely helpful as she had a lot of experience with poms. I'm confident I can brush him properly now.

I've tried to steer clear of the crappy treats. I have some Iams Biscuits and Eukanaba Biscuits which seem pretty crappy (wheat and chicken by product), but I only got those like a week ago so they can't be causing the itching. Which type of treats are considered the safest/healthiest?

The treats that are 100% natural with no preservatives or colours or flavours or salt added. You may be washing him too often & it is creating a circle of itch/wash/itch etc. Any wandering Jew in your garden ?

I live on half an acre that has many plants that I cannot identify by sight, however within my fenced area next to the house there is just grass and a couple of trees. I keep my eyes peeled when walking him on leash around the broader property, but have not seen anything that looks like Wandering Jew.

I will make sure to only buy treats which are 100% natural without additives from now on as well, just in case.

At the nurse appointment it was suggested that I'm just overreacting and Percy scratches a normal amount, since his skin looks fine and everything so I'm going to assume that's true. The nurse pointed out that I didn't have much or recent experience with puppies and I'm comparing him to adult dogs I've had, which is true. I also have a lot of "new parent" anxiety so I probably do overreact to anything that could indicate danger.

I have been brushing a little bit every day but not using the right technique. I just got back from a vet nurse appt where she showed me the proper way to brush and trim his coat and trim his nails. She was extremely helpful as she had a lot of experience with poms. I'm confident I can brush him properly now.

What sort of trimming did she suggest ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there...

I Have a 24 week old Amstaff male who`s been itching like Mad over the past 2 weeks.I Took him to the local vet

For a checkOver..Firstly she took a skin swab(Was hoping for 3 but only Managed 1)

She tested for Mites Firstly And that Was Negative..Next step was food Allergies..My puppy only eats raw meats and eukanuba dry food..Occassionally a few raw eggs..Vet gave me a list of foods to try him on..Rabbit..Kangaroo..Venassen..Turkey..Potatoes And Pumpkin..thats it..No More Dry Food Either..this test is over one week..She Also Perscribed Prednisolone to him for the itching..Prednisolone is a very Serious Drug that should only given short term its a quick fix at the time and dosent fix the problem long term..After We got home we decided the vets advice didnt really help anything..Food Allergys. Then Enviroment testing..the skin scrapes would go on and on until a solution is found..Could be Diagnosed Quickly or Could take Years..Ive searched the Net and Amstaffs are prone to skin conditions..

Weve put him on a ReD Meat and fish oil Diet for a weeks trial...He has four 1500mg capsules of fish oil poured on his steak with Breakfast then just plain meat for lunch and tea...

Been Applying oil to his legs aswell where hes been Noaring at them(creating bald spots)

Its Day 3 today and we can see a big improvement Aready..Hes not itching much and his legs are looking good again..

Preservatives play a huge role in puppys skin problems also..

Im not saying the vet is wrong we just chose not to put our puppie on meds..

All puppys skin problems are diffrent so im not saying this diet will work for all amstaffs..

But it has so far for ours..

Hi there...

I Have a 24 week old Amstaff male who`s been itching like Mad over the past 2 weeks.I Took him to the local vet

For a checkOver..Firstly she took a skin swab(Was hoping for 3 but only Managed 1)

She tested for Mites Firstly And that Was Negative..Next step was food Allergies..My puppy only eats raw meats and eukanuba dry food..Occassionally a few raw eggs..Vet gave me a list of foods to try him on..Rabbit..Kangaroo..Venassen..Turkey..Potatoes And Pumpkin..thats it..No More Dry Food Either..this test is over one week..She Also Perscribed Prednisolone to him for the itching..Prednisolone is a very Serious Drug that should only given short term its a quick fix at the time and dosent fix the problem long term..After We got home we decided the vets advice didnt really help anything..Food Allergys. Then Enviroment testing..the skin scrapes would go on and on until a solution is found..Could be Diagnosed Quickly or Could take Years..Ive searched the Net and Amstaffs are prone to skin conditions..

Weve put him on a ReD Meat and fish oil Diet for a weeks trial...He has four 1500mg capsules of fish oil poured on his steak with Breakfast then just plain meat for lunch and tea...

Been Applying oil to his legs aswell where hes been Noaring at them(creating bald spots)

Its Day 3 today and we can see a big improvement Aready..Hes not itching much and his legs are looking good again..

All puppys skin problems are diffrent so im not saying this diet will work for all amstaffs..

Let me guess... the pup is blue?

Red meat alone is not a suitable diet for a growing pup. It has insufficient calcium for proper bone formation. It will not be a suitable puppy diet for any breed.

If you don't want to feed kibble, you need to be feeding meat on digestible bone.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Hi there...

Are you giving any Vit E with the fish oil (once or twice a week)? Sounds like a lot of fish oil for a 24 week old pup.

Update: Percy isn't scratching anymore! Well, not more than what I believe is normal. I'm not sure ultimately what changed. We had a lot of mould in the house and recently it was all removed. I've also been brushing him much more regularly and thoroughly. Food wise I have been adding a bit of plain Greek yoghurt and a half teaspoon of Omega Oil. I've also been adding some fresh wet food to his kibble, whereas he had kibble only before. So I have no idea precisely what cured him. I am just going to continue doing these things with the exception of the Omega Oil, which I may cease after a few months, as like any medicine it has it's risks.

• 3 weeks later...