I am after a bed for inside for my around 50kg Big Red Dog

I want soft with sides, kinda fluffy.

Washable, even better if I can zip off covers and wash

Around 90 to 100cms

Doesn't go flat in a week

Not super expensive

Throw your ideas and even better, links, at me please

Edited by OSoSwift

haven't tried it myself but an IKEA cot mattress, then a few of their mattress protectors. To cover it a cheap KMART single bed doona cover.

Someone I know found a child's bed mattress at a Vinnie's shop & used it for their large dog. They pushed it into a room corner, so walls made enclosures on two sides.

our Costco bed is still going great after nearly 18 months

IMG_1773_zps77ff8f07.jpg

our dogs dig in it, it's taken slobber, wee and vomit and plenty of hair and it still looks pretty much as it does in the photo and the fluff is very much intact

Never felt the need to wash it as it doesn't smell (apart from wiping off the previously mentioned bodily fluids) although the cover does come off if you want to.

the padding has settled somewhat from use but rather than making the mattress flat it's just comfier.

Obviously my dogs are a little lighter than 50kgs but there are plenty of great reviews online from people with bigger dogs

http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/kirkland-brand-pet-beds

Do you know anyone who sews? I just made a few XL beds for rescue that were 120cm x 95cm and they cost $12 each in fleece fabric. The stuffing was free as it came from lounge bits left for kerbside clean up but yours could be stuffed with old pillows and cut up doona bits. Plus they will withstand regular machine washings and can be stuffed as fluffy as you like. If you want to spend another $14 on fleece and a zip you've got a spare, washable cover too. Pretty basic sewing project if you know someone. And pretty cheap and comfy bed for a big dog.

Well, I had a polar fleece cover in the cupboard I had made to cover a piece of foam that one cat ended up peeing on and I couldn't get the smell out so I had thrown out the foam but kept the cover. I have two Queen sized doonas, so I folded them up to fit and stuffed them in the cover. No it doesn't have sides, but it's soft and warm and easily washable and she seems very happy with it.

I do like that Costco bed! When I drive over next year I will buy two :)

This is straight from an earlier thread on dog beds (cos I'm too lazy to retype it).

I bought an Orvis dog bed and couldn't be happier. It's an overseas company so I bought the cover only and stuffed the inserts with polyester from spotlight. The cover feels soft but is thick and sturdy.

The bed looks as good today as the day I bought it and it's had two dogs sleeping and playing on it. It unzips and goes through the wash and you can decide how firm you want it by how much stuffing you put in.

It is really comfortable (and yes I say this from experience lol) and the dogs choose this over the couch which I love. It's worth looking at the range, there's so many shapes and sizes. The customer service was the best I've ever experienced too. Lots of reviews on each bed too.

Edited because I forgot to mention there's small medium and large and I'm pretty sure mines medium.

http://m.orvis.com/store/product_search_tnail.aspx?keyword=Dog+bed+cover+

20150912_122340_zpsralooipk.jpg

image.jpg2_zpszxdft1ec.jpg

20141129_114308_zpsvkszsunf.jpg

Edited by Roova

Good trampoline bed with a wool futon on top. :)

She has that in the garage, but I wanted this for inside and her tramp bed is a bit enormous and won't fit in the lounge room

Roova I like those!! Thanks :)

OSS I've just bought my Sarah the same bed as Roova but in a small - once I saw them I kept going back and looking at them and then constructed a story in my mind to justify the expense! laugh.gif. Thanks a lot Roova! thumbsup1.gifrasberry.gif

And yes apparently they are as good as they look.

And the truth is it wasn't cheap but the reviews are great and it appears it should outlast a number of cheaper beds - which is what I was looking for. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

I priced getting just the cover from Orvis and stuffing it with memory foam here from Clark Rubber but it didn't work out to be much cheaper. (I really wanted memory foam for my oldies). So you could do what Roova did and buy a cover only and stuff it yourself - which I think is a very cost effective solution for such a good bed.

Will be very interested in what you decide.

Welllll for now I found an old polarfleece bed cover I made for a foam mattress I had to throw out after a cat pee'd on it a number of times.

I folded up a queen sized doona and will add another single one.

I am going to buy one like Roovas though I think. Just need to save up :)

• 2 weeks later...

bugger just realised that getting a costco bed to country WA would be pretty impossible, unless someone wants to drive one over from SA for you

How do you get it delivered and order online??

no idea, you need to be a costco member to shop there which is a $60 annual fee, as far as I'm aware they don't do online orders in Australia. I haven't been a member for the last year so not sure if that's changed

We went to bali recently, I got bed covers custom made. They're pretty purple and black, with removable velcro bolsters across the back and one side, made from comfortable yet thick and sturdy fabric, each piece has an inner liner so that you can easily zip off the outer for a wash. Unfortunately I misjudged the size of both my dogs and my house and got 5 beds which are 120 x 100 cm, so I've had to adjust them slightly because there is not enough room in any part of my house for 5 beds of that size! The dogs COULD share, but that might involve touching each other and we can't have that!! :laugh:

I've filled them with old foam mattresses and pillow tops from mattresses, and an excellent score from hard rubbish - a queen sized full latex mattress. I know hard rubbish mattress sounds really gross, but this one was in pristine condition, not a smudge on it except for the fabric on one side being mouldy, it looks like they've stored it directly on a concrete floor or something, the mould hadn't even gone through to the latex. so I sprayed the mattress liberally with f10 and Permoxin, let it air for about a week, then shredded it into chunks to fill the dog beds with.

They adore their beds, and they cost me $25 each!!! (And a bit of dignity because I picked up a mattress from the side of the road and was actually happy about it!)