Dog Attack In Canberra

BarbedWire

The owner did not even realise his dogs were getting out.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-25/dogs-allegedly-involved-in-dunlop-attacks-surrendered/6971292

Dogs surrendered after vicious attacks in Dunlop

Updated 5 minutes ago

Dogs responsible for Dunlop attacks

PHOTO: Domestic Animal Services said these were the dogs believed to be responsible for killing two other dogs and injuring a teen in Dunlop last week. (Supplied)

RELATED STORY: Two animals killed, teen injured in Canberra dog attacks

MAP: Dunlop 2615

Two dogs allegedly behind a spate of vicious attacks in Canberra's north-west have been surrendered.6970682-3x4-340x453.jpg

Domestic Animal Services (DAS) said two medium-sized pitbull crossbreeds were involved in the attacks in Dunlop, in which two other dogs were killed and a teenager injured last week.

In one attack it appeared the dogs broke into a home through a flyscreen door.

The owner of the dogs contacted DAS last night after seeing media reports on the attacks.

"He was very upset," DAS registrar Fleur Flanery told 666 ABC Canberra.

"He was unaware that the dogs had attacked or had the propensity to attack."

She said the owner did not realise the dogs had escaped from his property.

"He noticed that there was a hole in the back fence Saturday morning, went about repairing the back fence and really was quite oblivious to the dogs running around," Ms Flanery said.

She said based on the evidence she would declare the dogs dangerous this morning.

"Then we go about working with the owner and also the aggrieved parties to see whether a dangerous dog licence can be given to the owner," she said.

"If that's not the case or they can't meet the conditions or if the dogs present a significant danger or we don't think that they can go back into that household they may be euthanased.

"But that's quite a few steps away."

Ms Flanery said it was a timely reminder for dog owners to be vigilant.

"Dogs most of the time are happy, loving things but they can also attack and we don't know why they do it," she said.

"And any dog can attack, not just a specific breed."

The owner of a dog killed in the attack had said they were traumatised but did not wish to comment further.

Topics: animal-attacks, crime, dunlop-2615, act, canberra-2600

First posted about 2 hours ago

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another link to people discussing the dogs while the rangers were searching for them.

I find it terrifying. The dogs broke into someone's lounge room where they had put their own dogs thinking they would be safe and then the dogs took one away and it was later found dead.

Edited by sarsaparilla

Oh I saw the lost post on CLPD (the FB link Sars posted) and wondered what had happened that they were saying do not approach the dogs or let them near other animals :(

What a nightmare for all involved. I think I would probably have them put down as well, the life they would have to have in order to not be too much risk wouldn't be much of a life for them :(

I have been thinking about this all day. One woman actually took her dogs inside because the two large dogs were wandering around the complex and then they actually burst through her screen door and took her pet from right in front of her. That would have been so scary and one has to wonder whether that woman will ever recover or will she be haunted for a very very long time, possibly with PTSD?

I think my fences are safe and will keep my dogs in but will they keep other dogs out? How can I keep other dogs out of my yard and out of my house?

When I walked my dogs this morning I kept thinking what would I do if we were suddenly accosted by an unfriendly dog/dogs. I would probably pick my dogs up and try to put them over someone's fence. Then I was wondering how would I know which fences had dogs behind them and which didn't? Then I thought if I picked them up the other dogs might attack me but that would be something I would be prepared to risk if it would save my dogs. What would you do? What should you do? I know stay calm, stand still, and turn your back, but what about your dog, especially if you have it in your arms? Some dogs (and sadly some owners) see small dogs as legitimate prey. I really don't feel safe.

My concern is genuine so please don't attack me. I am elderly and I do own two small dogs and I do have an anxious disposition although I do try to stay calm.

Thanks Snook. The other day at training I allowed my small dog to sniff another dog that was standing by itself (I did ask the owner first). The other dog lunged and somehow dragged my dog under its front legs. Just as quickly I lunged and pulled my dog back out and then tried to pretend to be calm because I didn't want my dog to be alarmed. Since then I don't stand anywhere near that dog but I was proud of how I reacted. It was a situation where I was alert that something might happen and was able to react quickly. The situation you describe is awful because it was not expected. What happened? Was Justice hurt?

I get you sas. There's one street around here I no longer walk near with or without a dog. Ignoring the house with roaming two aggressive littles (all bark and follow) there's another one with a GSD that throws itself at the gate trying to get to you. This gate is getting more worn and I've left a council note, don't feel safe at all! It's very alarming to walk pass.

(For those who track my posts, this is not the GSD I fondly refer to as "angry GSD". That one is improving!)

The idea a dog could break in and hurt my dog...well I already know how I'll respond to that and it's horrifying! Fingers crossed thistle doesn't get attacked again and fingers crossed I keep my head and break it up. But each time is different, everything goes so fast and I am aware I can't help if I'm being attacked too!

Like snook, after being in an attack of that magnitude and trying to help my dog recover (big enough to survive, would be dead if little) - I see most dog rushes as scuffles and will step between the two to prevent a fight escalate. There's another little I've stumbled across who will follow and bark, whixh I'm confident I could handle but anything staffie size and up, on my own? By the dog I'll do my best but I can't guarantee. At least if it's in my house I can grab weapons but in the street? But there's an extra level of horror at it breaking into and happening in your home I think. I'm not sure what I'll do if there's another serious attack on us, it feels me with such dread and anxiety. I'm still not comfortable around dogs of similar type and temperament. It really impacts you.

Even though my house an yard are almost a fortress I inspect it thoroughly. I don't want my dog getting out or other dogs getting in.

Sorry for the word length, just retyping this brings up lingering anxiety. Don't want it to happen to anyone! Ever! As either the victim dog owner or the attacking dog owner! Horrible.

I've put my small dog in a bin before. She was reactive at the time, so I was constantly scanning surroundings. Saw a large dog running free up a drive towards us and so I had time to grab her and drop her in a bin up a drive (luckily a there was a bin up an ungated drive and I didn't get shouted at for trespassing.

Judging by the dogs body language and the fact the owner didn't even want to touch its collar to take it home I think I made the right choice.

So, you've all forgotten the case of Ayen Chol?

No I haven't forgotten. It is always at the back of my mind. Why do you ask?

My comment wasn't directed at you specifically. It was to meant to remind some other posters that the Canberra incident wasn't the first time a dog has forced its way into a house to kill its prey.

I think also with summer coming on people might leave their normal front door open for ventilation but they should be aware that if their own pooch sees a cat or small dog walking past a flyscreen door might not stop their dog getting out and attacking.

P.S. It seems there has been another dog attack in Canberra.

Oh I saw the lost post on CLPD (the FB link Sars posted) and wondered what had happened that they were saying do not approach the dogs or let them near other animals :(

What a nightmare for all involved. I think I would probably have them put down as well, the life they would have to have in order to not be too much risk wouldn't be much of a life for them :(

I think these dogs should definitely be put down. They have shown themselves to be dog aggressive to such a degree that they will kill other dogs. Society needs to be protected from dogs like this. I hope the owner was not using them for breeding. He has done the right thing though by owning up which is commendable.

So, you've all forgotten the case of Ayen Chol?

No I haven't forgotten. It is always at the back of my mind. Why do you ask?

My comment wasn't directed at you specifically. It was to meant to remind some other posters that the Canberra incident wasn't the first time a dog has forced its way into a house to kill its prey.

I think also with summer coming on people might leave their normal front door open for ventilation but they should be aware that if their own pooch sees a cat or small dog walking past a flyscreen door might not stop their dog getting out and attacking.

P.S. It seems there has been another dog attack in Canberra.

That other attack is also horrific. I have read somewhere here on DOL (can't remember where) that owners whose dogs have been declared dangerous mostly do not comply with the confinement conditions. I think we have a problem and I personally am concerned about some dogs some people are keeping because they are prone to aggression and the owners think they need protection and the dogs are a deterrent. They boast about their dog's aggressive tendencies.

I live a couple of suburbs away from the first attack and in all my decades of owning dogs have never had so many issues with aggressive roaming dogs as I have here. Canberra's leash law enforcement is very poor and people with aggressive dogs seem to think it is normal to let them roam. If I had small dogs I wouldn't walk them in my otherwise unremarkable working class suburb.

This article appeared in today's Canberra times.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/dog-attacks-put-three-canberrans-in-hospital-every-week-20151127-gl9qhy.html

Dog attacks are putting Canberrans in hospital at a rate of almost three each week.

Almost 250 dog attacks – almost five a week – were reported to the ACT government in the past year, with 153 resulting in hospital treatment and 116 dogs seized.

The figure for 2014-15 is slightly lower than the ACT's average of 260 dog attacks a year, and significantly below the previous year's count of 379 dog attacks.

Canberra boy Jack Hartigan was attacked by two dogs in 2011 and has filed civil action against the ACT government.

Canberra boy Jack Hartigan was attacked by two dogs in 2011 and has filed civil action against the ACT government. Photo: Melissa Adams

However, more people ended up in hospital in 2014-15 than the year before.

Adding to my post #19 I have located the post here about people with dogs who have bitten and what they do about it. It is here http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/264876-five-year-old-girl-was-bitten-by-dog-inside-bunnings-store/page__st__255

in #256 by Raineth

I am currently researching dog bites, and I am staggered by the amount of dog owners who report that their dog has bitten someone more than five times, and yet they still fail to even take the most basic precautions to prevent it occurring again.