Dog Cooler Coats/vests

Boronia

I am hunting for cooler coats for my lot and came across this one which is an ok price considering I will need to buy three of them

It is called a Lilcracka - Chamios Cooling Coat

has anyone here bought one, if so, what is it like?

I know there are better ones on the market but the cost of this one is the clincher (even though the dog in the ad looks hot) :laugh:

http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1253389011_Lilcracka_Chamois_Cooling_Dog_Coat_50cm

Do you know how it works? I had a look on the web page but couldn't work it out. Most of the cool coats I have looked at work by evaporation. You wet them and they draw the heat away from the dog.

They are a great price. Please let me know if they work well I may have to get one. I was looking at the swamp cooler by ruffwear but it is $99 so a bit expensive.

I couldn't find out how it works either Dobermanic so I emailed her (Kay) and asked that very question,

here is her reply:

Thank you for your message. The coats are used wet just wet them down under a tap/bucket etc and wring out slightly so not dripping. Place over puppy and secure. The coats work via Evaporation they are used wet but do not wet the fur. No need to refrigerate but you can keep them in a zip lock bag between uses during summer if you do not wish to dry them (personally I dry them between uses) They last 4-6 hours depending on how windy the day is.

I sure-will update on how the dogs enjoy them (or not)

Edited by Boronia

Chamois cooling coats are great. They stay wet for quite a long time, and are easy to wet again. Any of the evaporative cooling coats probably work better in a dry heat rather then humidity .. but I guess in humid conditions you could combine them with a fan.

Do you know how it works? I had a look on the web page but couldn't work it out. Most of the cool coats I have looked at work by evaporation. You wet them and they draw the heat away from the dog.

They are a great price. Please let me know if they work well I may have to get one. I was looking at the swamp cooler by ruffwear but it is $99 so a bit expensive.

I have one of these.

I do not recommend. It does not stay wet for very long at all !

I personally love the chillybuddy coats, but they are from the US and the dollar is terrible.

My friend recently bought some cooling mats for her dogs and they are amazing! They have some kind of gel in them that cools under pressure. They were cheap as chips too. I sat on one for ages and it felt so nice. Going to get a whole stack for my dogs and my kids lol. Definitely recommend them!

I got some Cool mats (no water needed) from Aldi recently, local store still had heaps left over. Nova basically lives on them.

I also have a Hurtta cool coat (got it on special from Crazy Sales last year), but haven't used it yet.

Edited by LisaCC

I have one of these.

I personally love the chillybuddy coats, but they are from the US and the dollar is terrible.

I do sell the Chillybuddy jackets here in Australia, post is in the commercial marketplace in OT

After testing a variety of cool coats I couldn't fault the Chillybuddy Jackets, the fact the reflect the sun whilst evaporative cooling is occurring makes a huge difference.

I also use the gel cool mats with my dogs which help in summer

Hi Denila.

Do you mean the swamp cooler? How long will it stay cool for? I may have to try a cool mat I saw some cheap ones on groupon not long ago.

Yes, i have one of these, another brand, and the chillybuddy.

The swamp cooler lasts significantly less than both. My dogs use them in summer when we hike (in the evenings when it is cooler may i add.)

and it doesn't last a full hour without being re-wet.

pretty useless IMO.

I have one of these.

I do sell the Chillybuddy jackets here in Australia, post is in the commercial marketplace in OT

After testing a variety of cool coats I couldn't fault the Chillybuddy Jackets, the fact the reflect the sun whilst evaporative cooling is occurring makes a huge difference.

I also use the gel cool mats with my dogs which help in summer

Good to know thumbsup1.gif

i was looking at getting another.

Edited by denali

Looks like the Chillybuddy is the most popular. How do the Chamios ones work? Sorry for all the questions. I wanted to get one last summer but was so confused by all the options. I won't be getting a swamp cooler now thanks for the advice against that one.

My dog really hates the heat. She slows down a lot in the summer.

I have cool champions & the chamois ones & have coated breeds.

I have never had issues with the chamois ones drying because i don't leave them on for ever ,there just a tool to help when required .

My dogs hated there cool mats & i would be very wary of leaving dogs unattended with the cool beds with gel in them or the ones with the garden things that hold the water .

Cool coats are a tool & should be used whilst supervised .

At shows i will use prior to going in the ring & after leaving to just help settle .I also use the chamois towels to lay on the back or on my dogs head .

Rarely do i leave them on for more than 10 mins .

Should add my chamois coats live in the fridge damp all year round ,just wet them & off you go.

Different coats are easier & harder to get wet depending on how quickly you want them.

My cool Champions take way longer to be fully wet than the chamois

Edited by showdog

My westies were really suffering in the heat in the house-sit year before last so I bought a cool mat - and Mac commandeered it - he loved it. The brand is 'Chill-Out'. But none of mine are chewers so I was confident I could leave it with them and it would sty intact - and its still intact two years later.