Not Something Often Seen

Kirislin

I find this all very interesting! In IGs there doesn't appear to have been much research done one colours and the colour names are very broad - eg red can be anything from a deep, dark red to a pale gold colour - as long as it has the black nose and guard hairs. Fawn to me is blue fawn, with grey nose and guard hairs. Nobody seems to know what seal is - anything from light coffee to almost black! Is it true black or dark seal?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find this all very interesting! In IGs there doesn't appear to have been much research done one colours and the colour names are very broad - eg red can be anything from a deep, dark red to a pale gold colour - as long as it has the black nose and guard hairs. Fawn to me is blue fawn, with grey nose and guard hairs. Nobody seems to know what seal is - anything from light coffee to almost black! Is it true black or dark seal?

have a look at this page. I think the example of a seal whippet looks like it might actually be an IG. http://runswiftwhippets.net/Genetics/Unusual.html#anchor5480

Oh and as I understand it if we get a seal IG now we have to call it BLACK even though they are most likely a very heavily sabled fawn, that's my own theory.

Edited by Kirislin

I wonder why we haven't got cream whippets in the pedigree lines here. I've seen them here in the non ped lines, and they're in Europe and the US. I think they must have been in them here once, and we've lost them. If I ever won Tatts I'd import some. Another colour I've only seen twice here is a beautiful dilute, I suppose it would have to be listed as fawn, but it's more of a lilac or mauve with an incredible metallic sheen. Again, they were both non ped whippets, but definitely all whippet. Now I mostly see brindles and brindle partis, and many of them are really big, with great long necks on them like horses. They dont look much like the breed that I fell in love with 30 or more years ago.

Fabulous resource is the whippet archives, and it just gets better and better as colour recording is becoming more accurate, but it shows how easily colours are written down and they're clearly wrong. This is a perfect example, look at this bitch, still recorded as white, but but at least in the distinguishing features they've explained that she's actually cream. All the cream ancestors are recorded as white. See how easy it would have been to miss a colour when standards were written, so now when it appears to just pop up people are saying it's a cross bred.

http://thewhippetarchives.net/details.php?id=107629