Dog Barking

Morning All,

So I was hoping to be able to pick your minds. Here is the backstory- We have recently moved to a new apartment (3 weeks in) and we notice that our dog barks at people of a certain racial background (whom are the same as I am! :confused: ).She did not use to bark at that race in our previous place. When we use the lift, she barks if there are already people in the lift before she is. If she is already in the lift, she is less likely to bark if people come in. Most of the time, if i see people in there, I try to distract her with treats and we use the stairs instead...for all 6 flights. On our walks, she also barks at 'that race'. I wonder if its their body language that is causing her to bark and it's so incredibly frustrating for me (and her, i'm sure).

I'm going to make an appointment with the people we did our puppy pre-school training with as they are familiar with her, but i'm open to suggestions in the meantime. Thanks in advance for your help and observations.

Edited by Arlizng

Maybe your dog needs counseling :laugh: No, but seriously, some races smell different to dogs, but that is probably not the problem here because she lives with you. I would be trying LAT (The Look At That Game) with her. Have a read of this LAT Game. Make sure you scroll down & read the PDF file.

Morning All,

So I was hoping to be able to pick your minds. Here is the backstory- We have recently moved to a new apartment (3 weeks in) and we notice that our dog barks at people of a certain racial background (whom are the same as I am! :confused: ).She did not use to bark at that race in our previous place. When we use the lift, she barks if there are already people in the lift before she is. If she is already in the lift, she is less likely to bark if people come in. Most of the time, if i see people in there, I try to distract her with treats and we use the stairs instead...for all 6 flights. On our walks, she also barks at 'that race'. I wonder if its their body language that is causing her to bark and it's so incredibly frustrating for me (and her, i'm sure).

I'm going to make an appointment with the people we did our puppy pre-school training with as they are familiar with her, but i'm open to suggestions in the meantime. Thanks in advance for your help and observations.

...might have to do something with the vision - dogs color vision is very limited...more black or white, hence a very bright lift will emphasize the skin color of different races and that might be confusing for the dog when the door opens. I would take some treats the dog likes and would do some 'lift training' ...

Edited by Willem

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let u guys know I've been doing both of your recommendations and she is improving. :)

She is certainly barking less and getting the hang of look at me equals treats. Will persist and hopefully her behaviour will become a more happy relaxed one regardless of who might be in the /walks/lift with us.

THANK you so much for your help and feedback. You guys rock