Gm Dogs

Tempus Fugit

Hmm

I wonder if you have a pedigree something and you use GM to remove one of the unhealthy genes eg PRA... in the puppies...

What does ANKC rule on that. It's not an outcross, but it's not a natural mating of the parents either. It's a step beyond AI and IVF but how far is too far? When is it in the breed's best interests and when not?

I dont support these kind of studies - using Animals for testing,, so another reason to kill these innocents - just because humans are greedy to own everything in the world, and live longer

As someone whose mother died a slow horrible prolonged death at 65 from Parkinson's, this gives me hope.

While I vehemently oppose testing cosmetics or food additives or such on animals; I make no apology for supporting this kind of medical research. I realise this will make me unpopular here, so be it.

I dont support these kind of studies - using Animals for testing,, so another reason to kill these innocents - just because humans are greedy to own everything in the world, and live longer

As someone whose mother died a slow horrible prolonged death at 65 from Parkinson's, this gives me hope.

While I vehemently oppose testing cosmetics or food additives or such on animals; I make no apology for supporting this kind of medical research. I realise this will make me unpopular here, so be it.

Totally agree. Medical research is important.

I think I want to change my reply ,,, I am sorry to hear that

I know we all want to live longer and testing animals, There should be a limit and regulated.,,,,

Edited by gavin888

I know we all want to live longer and testing animals, There should be a limit and regulated.,,,,

Gavin888, no need to change your reply - you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Sorry if MY answer made you feel uncomfortable.

I wish we didn't have to test medical stuff on animals; I really do. But there doesn't seem a way around it. I only hope that it is done humanely and with a high degree of concern for their welfare. Testing for cures for diseases cannot be done on human beings - so how do we discover new cures and advances in disease treatment?

Something tells me that I may be sticking my head in the sand. But my mother.... Her death scared me and devastated me since it took so long.

I cannot stomach any other kind of animal testing. To subject any other living thing for a waterproof mascara or get slim quick pill seems immoral.

I know that's probably a contradiction, but that's me - a contradiction.

Oh, and welcome.

A lot of the research done on animals - actually helps the animals in terms of vet practice and new medicine.

I'd rather there be ethically set up and monitored testing than nothing.

And as best I can tell - most experiments or research involving animals does have to go through an ethics process. There's a lot of study formats from history that would not be allowed today.

Gavin888, no need to change your reply - you are just as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Sorry if MY answer made you feel uncomfortable.

I wish we didn't have to test medical stuff on animals; I really do. But there doesn't seem a way around it. I only hope that it is done humanely and with a high degree of concern for their welfare. Testing for cures for diseases cannot be done on human beings - so how do we discover new cures and advances in disease treatment?

Something tells me that I may be sticking my head in the sand. But my mother.... Her death scared me and devastated me since it took so long.

I cannot stomach any other kind of animal testing. To subject any other living thing for a waterproof mascara or get slim quick pill seems immoral.

I know that's probably a contradiction, but that's me - a contradiction.

Oh, and welcome.

Given China doesn't exactly have a great reputation when it comes to animal welfare, I'd be very worried about even basic needs being met correctly.

China and their GM/cloning programs have been in a news a bit lately and some of it goes even beyond concerns for basic welfare- things like the cloning of endangered animals. They claim it's for conservation purposes but how long until there are factory farms churning out endangered animals to be harvested for their various valuable bits and pieces? That might sound a bit alarmist but we are talking about the same country where dogs, foxes and cats are skinned alive for fur, just to make cheap clothing for export :/

It isn't the medical research aspect that worries me. It is that once the technique of breeding GM dogs with strengthened hindquarters is perfected, is it going to proliferate and are we going to see these GM dogs being used for draught (weight pulling, dog sledding etc) and wouldn't the dog fighting fraternity love more powerful fighting dogs.

It isn't the medical research aspect that worries me. It is that once the technique of breeding GM dogs with strengthened hindquarters is perfected, is it going to proliferate and are we going to see these GM dogs being used for draught (weight pulling, dog sledding etc) and wouldn't the dog fighting fraternity love more powerful fighting dogs.

I fear you're right.

I too am fine with medical research on animals. Many cures for diseases in the past have come from animal research and like MRb said vets also benefit.

However this freaks me out a bit.. I feel this research could very well end up in the wrong hands..

it was possible that humans could be genetically modified, like the beagles, to make stronger athletes or better soldiers.