Doggy Christmas Presents

Leah82

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is starving and she loves her kibble and will eat it like it is a treat. It is usually topped with a dried chicken neck or two or some broken up dried chicken breast. It is more her little mind than the value of the food. We had a breakthrough today. Another DOLer offered me a couple of Nina Ottosson toy thingies and today we tried the Tornado. At first she kept looking up at her empty bowl but her hunger got the better of her and she ate pretty much a full breakfast from the Tornado! YAY! I couldn't see her brain ticking over - it was more of a case of oh dear this is all so inconvenient! But she had to keep walking around and she ate far slower and was a lot calmer by the time she came back into the house and joined the other dogs. And no paw action - just nosing. I also got her to do a focus command at dinner last night holding wet stuff in my hands until she looked into my eyes (albeit briefly). That has taken me a whole week to achieve with her! And her sits are now solid, butt remains on the ground types rather than half hearted efforts so we are getting somewhere!

Maybe she is not a snuffle mat girl. That's ok. Part of the problem is all the dogs were taught to only eat from their bowls and they each have different types so she knows if it isn't in her bowl she is not allowed to touch it. We have to change that to where she is fed rather than what she is fed from.

Yeah I don't expect Sarah to be interested in the snuffle mat when we get around to making it, she puts a lot of things in the too hard basket.

Collie however is already a big snuffler. He snuffles the lawn, the floorboards, even me :p. You won't even find a crumb where he's been snufflin

We bought our dogs cheap plastic squeaky toys. I wrapped them and put them under the tree with the human presents, Mojo our crestie did a bit of investigating and started to open one (I don't know how he figured out it was a dog present, maybe he heard the squeaker?) I scolded him and he stopped and left it alone, few hours later Royce our rottweiler finished opening it and claimed it for himself. It was so funny and cute we let him finish opening it.

Took him less than 10 mins to break the squeaker.

Santa will not be pleased.

If my two norty brown dawgs can manage not to piss Santy Paws with their antics, he might bring Laikey a Tug-a-jug and Wilbur a bob-a-lot. Laikey already has a bob and Wilbur already has the tug. But if they piss off Santy Paws they might get a lump of coal each. wilbur has already been a recipient of a lump of coal one year laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby is adorable and bought them both Christmas stockings filled with treats. When the dogs discovered them up on the window, they sat there for ages waiting for me to give them a gift.

My sister and her kids are staying here for 10 days and the kids lurve the dogs so they are getting them both dog beds to replace the horrible ones that neither dog will use.

I just made some special tug toys for Stussy (one stuffed with squeakers and one a crackle bottle style). I thought I'd show her before wrapping them. Within a minute she had holes in both. She was in heaven! Gotta love a destructo dog!

Edited by Little Gifts

Santy Paws is bringing Laikie a Tug-a-jug and Wilbur, if he behaves, is getting a Bob-a-lot. They already have the opposite toy to what Santy Paws is bringing them.

I am making them some yummy bone shaped treats from me and OH, which will be put in their stockings which i embroidered.

My dogs are getting a holiday away from me. Poor Evie got a tattoo last year so a holiday has to be better than that :laugh:

I'm feeling a little guilty because poor Stussy has to have another op tomorrow (unexpected) and will be swapping reindeer ears for a cone of shame over the festive season! I will at least try and disguise her antibiotics in some leg ham and turkey.

My dogs are getting a holiday away from me. Poor Evie got a tattoo last year so a holiday has to be better than that :laugh:

I'm feeling a little guilty because poor Stussy has to have another op tomorrow (unexpected) and will be swapping reindeer ears for a cone of shame over the festive season! I will at least try and disguise her antibiotics in some leg ham and turkey.

Maybe you could put some tinsel on her cone :laugh: I'm sure she will forgive you if your providing leg ham and turkey ! :thumbsup:

One snuffle mat in action (thank you LG) :)

Just have to be careful not to overfeed the plump one!

20151221_093434_zpsmvzrz2kb.jpg

I bought presents (soft toys to be destroyed) and they watched as I wrapped them. Came back from shopping only to find Poppy had been in the 'out of bounds room'and helped herself to her present. Wrapping paper was strewn around the place but Teddy was intact. Possibly my idea of presents is all wrong and she'd be happy with empty boxes to unwrap lol.

Edited by Roova

I like Boronia's idea about the treats from the Barkery.

I just bought some treats from there as well.

Having a Rott who decimates toys within seconds, unless it's a jolly ball, kong or some other industrial strength toy, like a truck tyre, they all only last 1 minute at best :rofl: .

I bought her a Christmas stocking with treats and a few other odds and sods! Oh and yes, we bought her a new jolly ball, we should get a good half hour out of that, but what's best is she will play with the thing until it resembles a deflated old sack, so that's a plus! :thumbsup:

I left it a little late, so I hope the barkery don't muck around with my delivery considering it's Christmas is Friday! :laugh:

I found a rubber mat at Big W which was only $2.50. It was pretty flimsy and I cut it in half with scissors! Kmart have heaps of polar fleece blankets for $5 and whala.

Although I agree, completely tedious cutting and knotting the pieces and I ran out of steam torward the end so there's probably a few gaps which shouldn't be there. It's good to have something different for them to do though.

20151221_101807_zpswumyxvfq.jpg