I Thought Id Put Myself Here.

gillybob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great way to look at it. It's hard, but in a way, it encourages us to enjoy what we have while we have it, rather than maybe just mooching along taking things to granted .. and I do mean us .. experiences like yours remind us all how fleeting our time with our beautiful dogs is.

Great way to look at it. It's hard, but in a way, it encourages us to enjoy what we have while we have it, rather than maybe just mooching along taking things to granted .. and I do mean us .. experiences like yours remind us all how fleeting our time with our beautiful dogs is.

Exactly Tassie - well said.thumbsup1.gif I was just looking at Mac's thread - and I started that back on 19 April this year - never knowing how long he would have. And it turned out he had another 7 months - and I treasured everyday and knowing a wonderful group of DOLers was there for us too. So gilly I'd really encourage you to keep 'talking' with us - there will be incredible ups and downs - and I found it really comforting to share with the people here - no-one understands like DOL people do - and damn I'm crying again...

Edited by westiemum

Amber was given 6 months to live when she was 11 months old. She has just turned 6! I have been doing palliative care for 5 years! I've just tried to make every day a good day for her.

I've definitely taken them places and gone places that I probably wouldn't have, so what happened did change my outlook.

iWishing you lots more wonderful days with Anna. Take care of yourself too as looking after a dog like this does take a toll on the human.

Today is a bit of a down day I was feeling like I could finally relax but she has vomited twice the most vile stinky stuff. She ate well last night and she had a bone to chew for a while, not really interested though. She is now walking with us down the yard, I have half and acre so she gets in lots of sniffs while she is walking. I have to admit she isn't bouncy. I cut her steroids by half tomorrow so not looking forward to see what will happen.

My dad had a 5 year life expetency with his cancer and he had more than 20 so Im trying to be positive. I am sleeping heaps. Ive been sleeping in which is unusual for me and nana napping in the afternoon. I feel really drained. I think its the not knowing. I will get over it and get into a routine and we will settle in and be ok.

Are you taking a eat whatever you like approach or are you wanting to keep her going as long as you can?

If you want to do the second I would be avoiding bones and high protein. Her liver just can't process it. Amber gets no bones as all. The last one she had caused her to have a fit.

Did the vet talk to you about a liver diet at all?

I decided last night no bones after she vomited again. What do you mean high protein? She will eat chicken frames and wings with no problem sometimes a little mince. Ive tried her on eggs, fish and her fav vedges and she isn't interested.

The only thing she is interested in is raw chicken and she has just brought up most of what she ate last night. She is drinking though and that's a plus. She used to love scrambled eggs with sardines. I will get some more fish today and try some steamed fish on her. Maybe try chicken broth in ice blocks as well.

The only thing she is interested in is raw chicken and she has just brought up most of what she ate last night. She is drinking though and that's a plus. She used to love scrambled eggs with sardines. I will get some more fish today and try some steamed fish on her. Maybe try chicken broth in ice blocks as well.

Scottie loves freshly fried eggs ... just done in a smidge of oil - coconut if it's available ;) If I'm trying to con him into eating something else I break the warm runny yolk over it and he gobbles it all up - but it has to be warm and fresh.

Anna has been nodding off in the sun this morning and I just called them in and Anna couldn't get up the step, she has no strength in her back legs, she can walk and stand but any more than that and she cant do it.

We are down to one steroid a day and its very obvious.

Today is the second day she has kept her food down,to balance that is she is drinking heaps more again, her poos are still black and nasty but at least it isnt runny.

I think I will ring the vet and see what he thinks about keeping her on a full dose of steroids. I would like some opinions is the damage they do ruled out by the quality of life?

Edited by gillybob

If it were my dog, I would stick with the steroids. She isn't going to live long enough to suffer the consequences of long-term steroid use. And if they improve her quality of life, that is the most important thing. I'm so sorry you are going through this xx