I Thought Id Put Myself Here.

gillybob

Anna is having ups and downs . Ups because she is eating normally again, downs because she is vomiting again. At least food is staying in her stomach long enough for her to gain some energy from it. She is getting weaker in the back legs/hips but seems to be happier. She even had a chew on a bone yesterday. But she is so skinny not melting away but heaps thinner than she was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gillybob, I know not all dogs will or can tolerate the same things, but what I am convinced has kept Danny going is what I call his “Shake”. He doesn’t need it every day but when he first became sick and was losing heaps of weight, it was a life saver.

Equal parts Bone Broth (google for recipe) and lactose free milk with a good squeeze of nutrigel. Some times, Danny would lap this up, but mostly I give it to him via syringe because if and when he eats can be very unpredictable.

You can buy multiple use syringes on the internet. I bought several 10mls syringes from Priceline on-line.

A couple of his meds are in tablet form and I have to keep changing the form of delivery: roast chicken, cream cheese, hard cheese, peanut butter .... they all eventually fall out of favour, but the latest is liver paste. So far he loves it.

You might also consider having a chat with the couple who run BM Animals. DOLer Valbitz put me onto them and their foods really saved Danny’s life, I think, particularly chicken jerky - which he has now decided he doesn’t like :(. But for a while, that and his shake kept him going.

Good luck.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

• 2 weeks later...

Anna is nearly back to sort of normal, she bailed up a lizard today. She is hungry as anything as well. But both Cedro and Gilly are protecting her they seem to know something isn't right. She is still on her steroids and I think I will take her back to the vets next week, to see where we go from here. She is week in her back legs and is having problems holding her wee.

DDD Im sorry to read about your little od bloke, my Gilly is 20 this year and is getting more fragile. But he still zooms with Cedro in the afternoon! It usually takes the next day for him to recover!

• 1 month later...

I thought Id tell you that I have made an appointment for Anna tomorrow, she is much worse and is showing major signs of dementia. So I am giving her wings tomorrow Its going to be a hard day for me. She has been fighting hard but is giving me that look of Im tired now. I promised her I wouldn't let her suffer.

I wanted her to have two days of eating whatever she wanted but she just wont eat.

So today we are going to lay out in the sun together and I will have her close to me.

Her dementia is awful she just stands there not knowing were she is. To see such a proud wonderful dog who had great manners and a wonderful way about her like this is heart breaking. She did not diserve this kind of death.

:(:cry: That's sad, gilly - but you're doing the right thing for your Anna, hard as it will be. Thank you for sharing your journey .. it reminds me to pay special attention to my just turned 14 year old BC girl.