Flies, How Do I Get Them To Leave My Dog Alone?

Casima

My old boy has become quite incontinent wettinng his bed and has started attracting flies with the smell no matter how hard I try to keep him clean and dry. They are biteing his ears :( is there anything I can do to keep them away? I want him to be comfortable. I tried a bit of aerogard but it didn't help much. I've never had problems with flies before and don't know what to do.

You could try putting Advantix on him it keeps flys alway as well as fleas and ticks. You can get cream for the ears cetrigene or septicide they are antiseptic plus repellent. Repel x is a good spray to use to keep the flys away but you can't use it with Advantix as they contain some of the same ingredients and you can over do it with both.

You can get the sprays and cream at Petbarn or horse land.

For boarders who come in with fly bitten ears we apply heavy zinc cream white found this to work the best in healing & stopping the flies nibbling more.

For products we shop at horse or stock feeds,there is one products that everyone says works well & starts with a N i think it is , stock feeds often have stable washes that also repel flies so you can spray around the area .

I use both of these products and the flies don't go near my dogs like they used to. I also feed the garliq to my chooks and there aren't any flies in their coop. Our 15 year old Labrador would always get flies on the back of his ears and he is too old to do anything about it himself. It was awful, now; nothing!

I used to work with the lady who owns Blue Chip Australia and she imports it from the UK. HIGHLY recommend it. I mix a squirt in their dinner every night.

The spray is expensive but oh well, it works. I buy it in stock feeders. I don't use it a lot these days as I don't feel I need to. But will spray the old boy and his bed if I'm going to be out all day.

Happy to put anyone through to Anita at Blue Chip in regards to the Garliq.

Gariq

Butlers Equine Fly Spray

Natures botanical :) My SIL has put it on her greyhounds ears when the flies get really bad & we've even put it on a horse's bad leg wound to keep the flies away. Seems to have some healing properties too :)

It's Cedarwood & Rosemary oils in an olive oil creme base :)

I've been trying this on my horses and on myself this season, although it is expensive if you have a lot of them! I have found it works on some horses and not so well on others. I personally wouldn't put it on an open wound, I would imagine it would sting? Septicide is my ointment of choice for wounds that cannot or do not have to be bandaged.

ETA I haven't used the product I~B linked to, however I have tried garlic granules and powder in the past and found the opposite of what it is supposed to do! The flies were attracted to the feeders like crazy!

Edited by trifecta

Natures botanical :) My SIL has put it on her greyhounds ears when the flies get really bad & we've even put it on a horse's bad leg wound to keep the flies away. Seems to have some healing properties too :)

It's Cedarwood & Rosemary oils in an olive oil creme base :)

I've been trying this on my horses and on myself this season, although it is expensive if you have a lot of them! I have found it works on some horses and not so well on others. I personally wouldn't put it on an open wound, I would imagine it would sting? Septicide is my ointment of choice for wounds that cannot or do not have to be bandaged.

ETA I haven't used the product I~B linked to, however I have tried garlic granules and powder in the past and found the opposite of what it is supposed to do! The flies were attracted to the feeders like crazy!

I don't think it would sting any more than Cetrigen or Prednoderm...

My dog has been swarmed this summer by flies. His nose had pools of blood on it the other day from fly bites.

Vet has given me a paste to treat the fly-bitten area and on top of that he instructed me to mix a slither of zinc cream mixed with Aerogard.

The trick is to apply it so it keeps the flies away and to make sure it's out of tongue-licking range.

Not sure why the flies are so bad this year and why they are biting. Never had this problem before!