Best Dry Puppy Food?

thedoctor

Hi all! Sorry if this topic has been done to death, I tried to search but didn't come up with much.

I'm getting an 8 week old beagle puppy, and have been researching what food I should start him on. I'd rather dry food for the convenience. I'm happy to pay for quality.

Are there are particular brands that would be recommended? Any I should stay away from?

There is so much conflicting info on the Internet, it's quite confusing!

My fave is Royal Canin Junior... used it for all my rescue fosters over the years.

Nutro Puppy is also pretty good from experience.

I'd start with whatever the breeder has been feeding though... and slowly work your choice of food in over a period of time to give puppy's tummy a chance to adjust... unless you like cleaning up squirty poos...

T.

Royal Canin is a low quality food for the price. There are a lot better options out there like Canidae or Holistic Select.

What does your breeder use and recommend? Provided its a decent food I'd be staying on that while they are still young.

if puppy is coming from a thoughtful breeder , he will come with a diet sheet and perhaps a few meals of what food he's on now :) As mentioned , stick with the food he's been on ( unless it is very cheap, or weetbix or similar) and gradually change over to what you prefer.

Basically, the BEST food is what puppy does BEST on ..ie: nice firm poos,and not buckets of them , weight gain, shiny coat ...

I feed my dog Holistic Select and am very happy with it. It's natural and doesn't contain wheat/fillers or meat byproducts.

But like the others said if you change food do it gradually to avoide tummy upsets. I also feed raw it's not that hard to prepare once you are used to it.

I feed my dog Holistic Select and am very happy with it. It's natural and doesn't contain wheat/fillers or meat byproducts.

But like the others said if you change food do it gradually to avoide tummy upsets. I also feed raw it's not that hard to prepare once you are used to it.

Gee there is a lot of misinformation around about dog food. Holistic Select contains a range of ingredients including potatoes, peas, and beet pulp. Those three ARE fillers. There is also a fair bit of information starting to surface that feeding peas to dogs is not great.

"Grain free" foods are NOT filler free. Many "grain free" foods contain ingredients just as questionable in terms of dog health as grains. Soy products and legumes are two. Canidae contains flax seed meal - also now questioned in terms of dog health. If food has no fillers, the protein content goes off the scales - not good for any dog.

"Grain free" food for most dogs is a fad. We've been feeding grains to dogs ever since we domesticated them. It's companies simply cashing in on pet owners ideas of what is "healthy".

My advice? Find out what the breeder feeds. If the dogs are happy and healthy and you're happy with the quality, stick to it.

For every person who disses a food, there will be another who is happy. Royal Canin is a case in point. I swear by it.

You are better off ensuring that the fat and protein, calcium and phosphorus contents are up to scratch and that the food SOURCE is decent.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Corn and Wheat makes boy itchy. I avoid those, I don't think they are great for dogs anyway.

Agree with starting with what your breeder is feeding. Unless you run into any problems feeding that or it is superbly crap, then transition onto a better quality food, and then yes I am a big fan of the best food is what ever your dog does best on. I'm loving Meals for Mutts at the moment, I've fed a wide range in the past including Proplan, but it wasn't right for my current dog.

Edited by LisaCC