Looking For Advice Re: Choosing A Breed

Catfishers

Catfishers - any dog with a reasonable bark on it is going to keep people away if thats what you want. Even more so if they can't see the dog and they can only hear it.

Even my overly friendly BCs can make enough noise at night to keep people away from the yard if needed.

I live alone and feel perfectly safe with my 2 BCs.

So true, my greyhound bitch sounds like one of the hounds from baskerville!

Having had 5 GSD's in the past my vote is for a GSD and I never noticed the shedding being too bad.

Well that's a comfort. Haha.

And yeah, I figure most any barking will deter burglars from trying to get into the house (and BCs are beautiful dogs). I am leaning towards a large-ish dog as a) the last dog we had was a Newfie and I think I'd miss the size, tbh, and also b) I'd love to go walking in the evenings when it's cool and would like a dog that can at least give the impression of being a bit intimidating. Though, suitability as a watch-dog is just one area of consideration out of many.

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Edited by Catfishers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 kg Dory cross breed is a pretty good alert/guard dog. Not sure how effective while out walking though.

She would probably nip an intruder, and if they hurt her they'd have to face an enraged dog owner :laugh:

Trust me, hurt my dogs, pray you have ambulance cover.

... I believe 'what's intimidating and what isn't' depends on 'personal taste' - someone who is scared of bigger dogs automatically tends to believe that others are also more scared of bigger dogs - bad luck if a potential offender is more scared of a breed that is smaller but has a 'not so good reputation'. There are a few smaller breeds (compared to a German Shepherd or a Doberman) that would make excellent guard / protection dogs while size alone without the right training doesn't make a good Schutzhund.

My BT looks the part, and none wants to come inside when they see her, which cracks me up as she wont even move unless food is involved :laugh:

My Cattle on the other hand will bite you.

I have never been a dobe fan, the ones i have met are either dog aggro or a bit nutty, i have a Rottie anyday though.

Edited by juice

I have a Dobermann and I think they are the best dogs. I probably wouldn't get another breed i'm addicted now lol. They are intelligent and very trainable and are extremely loyal. My girl always sits at my feet leaning on me in the evenings. They are clean and don't drool. They really are inside dogs and don't like to be left alone out in the yard. They love long walks and playing. They do take a bit of time to mature and as puppy's and teenagers are not very calm. But they do calm down around 2-3 years.

I have a Dobermann and I think they are the best dogs. I probably wouldn't get another breed i'm addicted now lol. They are intelligent and very trainable and are extremely loyal. My girl always sits at my feet leaning on me in the evenings. They are clean and don't drool. They really are inside dogs and don't like to be left alone out in the yard. They love long walks and playing. They do take a bit of time to mature and as puppy's and teenagers are not very calm. But they do calm down around 2-3 years.

All of the above. We're on our third dobe, very loving and yes, an inside dog. You also must love being touched, they need to feel your presence! As I sit here watching my large pup nibbling my grandson's head! It's so hot and she wants to be close!

What about an Akita?

I agree with the black dog thing too, I used to dog sit a Newfie, and even though she was the sweetest dog on earth, no one came near me on walks. :laugh:

ETA: Agree with Juice, the cattle dog is one I wouldn't cross, and to be honest, I've never completely trusted, especially the Reds.....(probably due to bad memories as a 12yo, having one lunge and nip my heels every time I walked by her kennel, where she was chained at a horse property.

The old man who owned her always just said, "she won't bite, will you girl" as he gave her head a pat and walked ahead of me, but she always got the back of my heels. It was a narrow path and the only way to the house, so I had no choice...the Bluey in his neighboring kennel would just watch me walk by, though I always thought he might have a nip if he thought I was going to harm the old man. I used to practically wet myself when he let them off the chain, that Red girl would follow me and watch my every move while we fed the horses etc ) :scared: :laugh:

and edited a 2nd time for spelling, sheesh

Edited by Cazablanca

What about an Akita?

I agree with the black dog thing too, I used to dog sit a Newfie, and even though she was the sweetest dog on earth, no one came near me on walks. :laugh:

ETA: Agree with Juice, the cattle dog is one I wouldn't cross, and to be honest, I've never completely trusted, especially the Reds.....(probably due to bad memories as a 12yo, having one lunge and nip my heels every time I walked by her kennel, where she was chained at a horse property.

The old man who owned her always just said, "she won't bite, will you girl" as he gave her head a pat and walked ahead of me, but she always got the back of my heels. It was a narrow path and the only way to the house, so I had no choice...the Bluey in his neighboring kennel would just watch me walk by, though I always thought he might have a nip if he thought I was going to harm the old man. I used to practically wet myself when he let them off the chain, that Red girl would follow me and watch my every move while we fed the horses etc ) :scared: :laugh:

Akitas would have as much coat as a GSD, and they are not as trainable as a GSD :)

I have a rottweiler and a boxer. They are both highly intelligent and very trainable. We find that they both need slightly different training methods, the boxer is a total clown, if you choose a boxer you will always be entertained. The rotty is by far the better guard dog. Both are indoor dogs and yes the rotti sheds more but we don't care, just don't get white carpet or furnishings and you wont notice. We have also had german shepherds and they shed more, for this reason I'd never get another GS but they too are awesome smart dogs. There's a doberman who does training with us, again very smart, such a sweetheart but, apparently not a very good guard dog.

What about an Akita?

Akitas would have as much coat as a GSD, and they are not as trainable as a GSD :)

Oh bugga, and I thought I was being so helpful, didn't even think of their coat. :laugh:

What about a Bullmastiff?

I third the cattle dog nomination.

I have one. Out and about she's super friendly (except with poodle crosses but she's getting better).

At home - you really don't want to be the door to door guy trying to see my electricity bill cos she puts on quite the ferocious performance. And any intruder is fine as long as they stand perfectly still and don't look at her.

Didn't have to train that at all.

Some shady types seem quite scared of Aussie Terriers too.

And I've been told by some people they won't go near a house with a cattle dog.

There's always the really nasty person who will feed a drugged steak to your dog - so training food refusal or food from the bowl with permission only might be worth while. I completely failed at that. I have a forager.

I am getting a chocolate lab as a walking partner for me and my girls and to altert us for intruders . I am hoping dumb criminals think he us a red nosed pit bull . If you squint your eyes and turn your head to the side you can kinda imagine it .....lol.

What about an Akita?

Oh bugga, and I thought I was being so helpful, didn't even think of their coat. :laugh:

What about a Bullmastiff?

To be honest, I'm coming around on the shedding issue, if I get a darker dog then the fur will just... blend in with all the cat fur anyway, I guess. :laugh: It's more any complicated grooming that'd really phase me, since my family have always been responsible for that sort of thing in the past. Especially with our Newfie since, obviously, he was terribly messy with the shedding and the drooling. A real dream to take on walks though, since no one would ever get too close. He was a big baby, but always made sure to place himself between me and strangers when I was younger. I think I'd miss the bulk with a smaller dog, though I've no doubt many would be just as protective if pressed.

A Bullmastiff is probably closer to what I've been thinking, but I've never really been a fan of their rather broad faces. I have the same problem with Rotties. Additionally, I'd like to the option to do formal and maybe competitive obedience in the future, and I can't say I know much about how either of those two breeds would fare.

Edited by Catfishers

The other question i'd ask is "how hard to you want to work at putting boundaries around the dog's behaviour and enforcing them".

Some of the breeds being suggested are more work for an owner than others. Personally I like the fact that my dogs don't tend to push boundaries with me. Not all dogs are like that.

Akitas will shed.... oh dear god they will shed. You will be up to your ears in blown coat. Plus some Spitz can be aloof and not that cuddly... (like certain Shibas I know)

Honestly, Dobes and GSDs both have that " tough guy" rep thanks to dodgy American movies. Which is crap, but people are still scared of them anyway. Someone suggested a Bull terrier? That's another breed that puts people off yet can be big smoochlugs. I think you are leaning towards a Dobe anyway? :D Why not get one? The ones I've met have been sweethearts (once introduced to you. :D )

I vote GSD (funnily enough as I lie here with one under the bed and one on top!). They do shed thus the name German Shedders but you couldn't want a more loyal dog in my opinion. They can be hell on wheels as puppies but very biddable to training. I feel entirely safe with one regular black/tan and one who is a solid black...he looks the part. Good luck with your search.