52/2016

trifecta

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd love to know how to process my photos better if anyone would like to offer hints :) I am pretty limited to auto contrast, auto colour correct, cropping, sharpening, putting a border on it and adding colour to B/W. Oh, and one of the programs I use has a soft focus function (amongst a large number of functions I don't understand!)

I'm guessing a lot of it is trial and error and personal preference. I look back at photos I took years ago that I loved at the time and they just don't appeal to me anymore. I'm not sure whether my tastes have changed over time or if they were always crap and people were too polite to tell me!

Poppy is super cute, Roova. VSCO is an app that I use for editing on my phone :) It's got the usual range of filters, but you can also adjust exposure, contrast, fill shadows, sharpen, add grain and a bunch of other stuff.

Huga, how old is Lola now?

She was 11 in November :)

I can imagine that you would be, Scottsmum! I'd love to travel around NZ and photograph the gorgeous landscape one day.

DeltaCharlie, in my mind there are essentially two types of editing that people can do. There's a clean edit, which is getting the white balance correct (so that whites look white although this can alter slightly if you shot in very warm light like the golden hour or very blue light like the blue hour) and adjusting contrast, saturation, sharpness etc. Although the end result can vary in terms of whether people like softer tones or bold, rich colours they still provide a reasonably accurate representation of the true colours and just look like a great photo rather than a great Photoshop job, if that makes sense? Once you know how to do a clean edit it's not really trial and error because it's essentially the same process every time. This is primarily how I edit.

Then there are artistic edits, which is really anything and everything else. This is where you might see things like a matte finish, vintage look, tones and colours that are quite different to what would have been there in real life, different photos composited together and so, so much more. If you do the same kind of artistic edit on all of your photos then it wouldn't really be trial and error either because you'd know what you're creating and how to create it. Trying new things or not knowing exactly what you're going for could involve a lot of trial and error though.

Personal preference has a huge amount to do with how you edit though although I think understanding white balance is one of the biggest things that help people get consistency with their photos. I still get it a bit wonky sometimes and actually started using a grey card when shooting Justice to make life easier for myself (if you take a photo of a card that is 18% grey in the same setting and light as the other photos you're taking, you can use the white balance eye dropper in editing software to click on the photo with the grey card in it and set your white balance and then apply that to the other photos in the set).

I'm not sure if that's the sort of help you were looking for or whether you're wanting step by step instructions (which is hard without knowing what you want your edits to look like)?

That makes sense :) One of the biggest issues I have is getting the colours right as my ability to pick white is pretty crap and seems to change depending on how the light is shining off my laptop screen at the time. So a scientific method like a grey card would definitely benefit me :)

For the most part I prefer natural looking photos. That only really changes when I'm not happy with the photo itself :) As an example, the photo I just posted of Brooks wasn't a particularly good shot. The background was beige, she is a grey dog, and the cushion was black and red. It was a bit of a mess, hence the switch to black and white. Then it looked too grey and boring as she is grey herself so just blended into the cushion and background. So I changed the cushion back to its original colours :laugh: Then it looked off balance so I tried to match the border to the cushion... Things tend to happen by accident with me when I am trying to salvage a shot I don't like :) At her age though, I don't want to stop taking photos of her and regret it later, so I take any chance I can get! She is long past the point where she will pose for me :laugh:

I enjoy taking the photos and trying to capture a look or a feel. I just don't know what to do with the photos once I take them! I think lots more processing practise is in order for me. I have folders full of photos that I never got around to actually looking at as I couldn't be bothered. At least when I take agility photos it is straight forward. Crop appropriately, and make sure the photo is clear :)

1452546890[/url]' post='6780303']
1452544951[/url]' post='6780302']

Is it too late to join? I've missed the first week :(

I've been debating whether to or not because I don't have a computer or editing software. Photos go from Camera to iPad to photobucket to here lol.

I've been slack with the camera lately so I'm hoping this will enthuse me again. No particular theme though.

I have no editing software beyond what's free on the net :) flickr editing options seem ok. Long time since i used photobucjet but i assume they have some basic options & there'd be apps up the wahoo for an ipad ... surely?

There is an Adobe Photoshop Lightroom app which is free, but haven't tried it.

Haven't been able to use the internet at home for a few days and then I ran out of data so I've only just checked back into this thread! Thanks for the feedback and comments on my first week, still trying to assure myself that the photos I'm editing don't just look like I chucked an OTT insta filter on them laugh.gif

2/52

tumblr_o02phnXSXp1uao4k2o2_r1_1280.jpg

1/52

Taken late evening in near dark just with phone so 'messed with' to get a visual. Double rainbow across the old derelict Victorian Railways wheat silo next door. Rain is falling, they had about 20mil 2 km up the road, we did not get a drop on our place. Was stunningly pretty to watch.

IMG_0062A-M.jpg

2/56

Go on, give us a kiss. You know you want to.

_DSC1221A-M.jpg

And with that the shutter on my lovely little mirrorless SonyMinolta died. Now the agonising decision of get it fixed, or just use the Nikon which is a bit heavy to carry around, or actually try to use the camera phone for a decent result.

Edit to add: Gapvic, this is one of the two blokes I ended up with when I thought your fellow was just too big for me. It backfired somewhat as I took them on through a Standardbred Rehome (Hero - not rescue) sight-unseen said to be no more than 14.2 - and of course they are no more than 15.2 and not much less either. Oh well, I'll just have to develop muscles to get the gear up there.

Edited by PossumCorner