Ear Infected With Yeast

Dan Val

Hey guys,

My little blue staff is pregnant and she has a really bad infection in both ears, once we found out that she was pregnant the vet told us to stop putting drops in her ears because it could affect the pups. She is constantly scratching at both ears making them bleed and are just red raw...

Does anyone know what I can do?????

Thanks

:( You can try changing diet ..NO grains/sugars /artificial anything.

Find another vet ..

IF your bitch is not too far along in the pregnancy - and you are not a registered breeder , yes, consider an abortion/spey for your girl, so HER health can be monitored and helped . It's not really fair on her to have to cope with these problems, esp if she is pregnant :( Unfortunately, too - she will possibly pass on her sensitivity to pups ...

Get your dog desexed and abort the puppies. Treat the ear infection. Get the dog allergy tested as the ear infection is most likely caused by allergies.

Agreed and will add that allergies stem from a poor immune system, which is highly genetic. You are breeding unhealthy puppies from an unhealthy bitch and this should not be happening.

Let alone the congenital issues that may have already been created by the drug use the bitch has been receiving during pregnancy.

As the breeder you are responsible for these puppies for life... is that something you are ready for?

I believe it is now an offence to produce puppies when the breeder is aware of hereditable health issues in the parents. Are you ready for this too?

I agree with persephone. Get another vet. The present advice is neglect & overlooks the point that the yeast infection provides a breeding ground for bacteria, so it really is an ear infection.

I have a small dog who's had a life-long tendency to suffer from yeast ear infections. We have an excellent vet who has said that 'yeasty ears & the consequent infections are notorious for being persistent. I won't go into the means we've been given to manage her yeasty ears because a vet would advise in relation to your particular dog. Interestingly, our girl only get is in one ear & it can be severe & nasty if not treated.

What did the vet recommend as a course of action for treating the infection? "no treatment" is not an acceptable answer. An ear infection can be accutely painful for the dog AND if left untreated might result in ruptured eardrums.

I hope that another blue SBT is not the sire of the litter. You will be compounding potential allergy issues in the pups.

As a first step, I'd try removing all gluten from her diet - try a quality grain free kibble. And get those ears treated.

• 2 weeks later...

My vet recommends douching the ear with a mixture of one part water, one part vinegar, and one point rubbing alcohol. Take a squeeze bottle like those sold for mustard and ketsup and really flood the ear. Message the ear. Let the dog shake it out. Then gently swab the outer ear gunk with a cotton wad. Yeast does not tolerate low pH, hence the vinegar. Rubbing alcohol has a drying effect. Water keeps it from being too strong and burning. Note, similar mixtures have long been used for kids with 'swimmer's ear'. If the infection is more complicated, your vet can probably give you an antibiotic ointment to apply after cleaning. Vinegar won't kill bacteria, only yeast. So if bacterial infection has followed yeast, you may need antibiotics.

Edited by sandgrubber

• 2 weeks later...

My MILs poodle has ongoing ear infections, yeast and secondary staf. A new vet has just put her on a course of cortisone tablets and an ear rinse containing cortisone as well. So far it has worked brilliantly.

The vet said it is very rarely a food allergy and more likely to be seasonal, like hayfever in people.