Cooling Dog Coats

Two Best Dogs!

K9 Pro have also started stocking cooling coats made from shade mesh -- I'm looking at buying these for my two to use during agility trials.

Mesh cooler coat

Have a friend who uses one of these for her elderly black greyhound on their morning walks.

I use the chamois type cool coats on my lot at shows, occasionally at home

Of all the different cool coats I have, the only one I really like is the K9 Cool Coat by Saratoga Horseworks, bought from Clean Run. The poly mesh blocks UV rays (which is very useful when you have a mostly white dog), it's very light but still manages to hold water for cooling. Even once it dries out, it keeps the sun and flies off. And it only cost $40-something from the US, compared to the Cool Champion which was $100.

My opinion of some of the others.. the Cool Champion holds a lot of water but it seems really heavy and thick and definitely couldn't be allowed to dry out. Breathes pretty badly, too.

The Hurrta cool coats have some of the same problems as the Cool Champions. They hold a lot of water but they're heavy, bulky and couldn't be allowed to dry at all because they're very thick.

I also have a generic microfibre toweling cool coat and although it's a pretty basic cool coat, it'd actually be my second choice. It's light, holds a decent amount of water and is thin enough to breathe. It's definitely nothing flash but can be chucked in the fridge easily to give it a bit more chill if needed.

I did have a chamois cooling coat around somewhere but after forgetting to put it back in its storage bag, it went rock hard and got chucked in the spare room because I didn't have time to soak it back to soft again. Can't remember what the brand of that one was.

Maddy I had a similar issue with the Cool Champion coats not breathing but people with long coated dogs swear by them.

I guess on a really hairy dog that probably doesn't matter so much? Once their hair gets wet, things are going to get pretty boggy in there anyway. That said, if the coat dries out, the dog would cook.

Idiot Dog's next birthday present is going to be the Ruffwear swamp cooler. It looks similar in material to the Hurrta but being a much smaller vests, should be lighter and breathe better. And it has a bit if a chest panel, which should help a lot on a short-haired dog.

Cooling used to be something I didn't worry about so much (aircon alone was always fine) but the last few years have been really extreme- this year* was coldest winter in decades, driest Spring on record and now shaping up to be hottest summer recorded :/ Some nights they need their fleece coats on, other nights I worry about how hot they feel.

Edit-

*For Tasmania, not sure what's going on for you mainland people.

Edited by Maddy

K9 Pro have also started stocking cooling coats made from shade mesh -- I'm looking at buying these for my two to use during agility trials.

Mesh cooler coat

Have a friend who uses one of these for her elderly black greyhound on their morning walks.

I use the chamois type cool coats on my lot at shows, occasionally at home

I think I might be that friend

and yes perfect for full sun especially if wetted down in the sea

like this morning at 7am

post-7647-0-12516200-1450409472_thumb.jpg

I have a hurtta coat. It is thick and heavy. But it works pretty damn well (coated dog). I don't let it dry out and it stays wet for quite a while. Sizing is bad though, bought it at the same time as my hurtta rain coat, measured and bought both the same size according to back length. The cool coat is WAY too short where the raincoat of the same size is perfect. But it was via crazy sales so I didn't bother returning and it doesn't bother him if his bum is hanging out.

I want to upgrade to the newer Vest version.

Edited by LisaCC

I have a hurtta coat. It is thick and heavy. But it works pretty damn well (coated dog). I don't let it dry out and it stays wet for quite a while. Sizing is bad though, bought it at the same time as my hurtta rain coat, measured and bought both the same size according to back length. The cool coat is WAY too short where the raincoat of the same size is perfect. But it was via crazy sales so I didn't bother returning and it doesn't bother him if his bum is hanging out.

I want to upgrade to the newer Vest version.

I'm hoping I can convince my local store to bring in some and then we can try them on to avoid size issues :( scoping through brands to suggest to them.

I much prefer the Chillybuddy Cooling jacket to other mesh coats. Can't go past their design and the research that has gone into themo. Chillybuddy coats have a second layer as well of a light cotton mesh as well which holds the water when used wet. Love them!

Edited by ~Rumour~