Holly The Mini Fox Terrier

*Avanti*

I heard Holly's story on the radio over the hot sleepless night last night, I did a search but couldn't see it posted before.

If it hasn't already I thought it was worth sharing. :)

Mini fox terrier proves 'working dog' status to council officers - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Mini fox terrier Holly is not much bigger than a well-fed guinea pig, but has fought against discriminatory beliefs and proved to council officers she is a valuable "working dog".

Kalangadoo farmer David Smith gets his mini fox terrier 'Holly' to demonstrate her ability as a working dog.

Farmer David Smith, from Kalangadoo in South Australia, appealed a letter from his local government that said the tiny canine had to be registered as a house dog.

"The registration for farm working dogs is less than your town house dogs, but it was more about the point in question," Mr Smith said.

"Holly was gutted when I told her they thought she was only a house dog, so as she slipped into a state of depression. I indicated to her that we'd appeal it."

Two council officers were sent out to the farm, to test Holly's ability to move sheep.

She passed.

post-14871-0-56117200-1450553834_thumb.jpg

Edited by LabTested

They must have decided paddock work is the only thing which makes them a working dog?

Probably worried people will say my dog was bred to be a guard dog so can I have cheaper registration because they guard my house?

From what I am aware you have to be a Primary Producer. Our dogs qualify for free registration, but we just open a gate & rattle the lock to get our cows to move to a different paddock. I am not sure if maybe they only qualify if they don't move from off the farm...must look into that one day.

They must have decided paddock work is the only thing which makes them a working dog?

Probably worried people will say my dog was bred to be a guard dog so can I have cheaper registration because they guard my house?

I know she's from SA but in NSW:

"working dog" means a dog used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock, and includes a dog being trained as a working dog.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/caa1998174/s5.html#working_dog

couldn't find similar for SA - don't know the acts well enough but one local council states

The Dog and Cat Management Boards definition of a working dog is:

The dog in question should be suitably trained and thereafter used primarily for the droving or tending of

sheep or cattle and the dog must be used at least 12 times per year for that purpose. ...

Dogs registered as a member of any other working dog association, other than the SA Working Sheepdog

Association (S.A.W.S.D.A.) or the Kelpie Council Association, may be deemed applicable criteria at the discretion

of an Officer of Alexandrina Council.

9. Examples of working breed dogs include: ï‚· Border Collie ï‚· Australian Kelpie ï‚· Australian Cattle Dog ï‚· Maremma Sheepdog ...

https://www.alexandrina.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Final%20-%20FORM%20for%20working%20dog%20concession.pdf

It's a bit of a shame that a dog that gets a title in obedience/herding etc doesn't get more of an exemption from councils. Especially as they like to bang on about responsible ownership. I would figure that's a greater gauge than desexing status.

I know there is some discount, but it's a bit pathetic on its own.

A working dog as far as the council is concerned is a dog that works stock. That ability may need to be demonstrated. So if she can move stock through yards or from one paddock to another and demonstrate control then she is a working dog. I am not sure if our local one only has certain breeds or not??

I heard Holly's story on the radio over the hot sleepless night last night, I did a search but couldn't see it posted before.

If it hasn't already I thought it was worth sharing. :)

Mini fox terrier proves 'working dog' status to council officers - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Mini fox terrier Holly is not much bigger than a well-fed guinea pig, but has fought against discriminatory beliefs and proved to council officers she is a valuable "working dog".

Kalangadoo farmer David Smith gets his mini fox terrier 'Holly' to demonstrate her ability as a working dog.

Farmer David Smith, from Kalangadoo in South Australia, appealed a letter from his local government that said the tiny canine had to be registered as a house dog.

"The registration for farm working dogs is less than your town house dogs, but it was more about the point in question," Mr Smith said.

"Holly was gutted when I told her they thought she was only a house dog, so as she slipped into a state of depression. I indicated to her that we'd appeal it."

Two council officers were sent out to the farm, to test Holly's ability to move sheep.

She passed.

I heard this too! :laugh: I loved the way he pulled the interviewer up when she was laughing and said it's a serious matter, and how Holly was gutted. :laugh: and she had to prove her working abilty, such a cute story.

My childhood dog was a corgi x terrier from a pet shop, but because she was always with my parents on the farm she learnt to work cattle quite well. She'd even heel them :eek: Really handy to let her out of the ute when you needed a dog in a hurry as opposed to driving the x kms home to collect the working dogs.

The fact that she slept on my parents bed every night did nothing to diminish her ability as a good working dog :thumbsup: