Field Labradors Versus Show Labradors .

Dewclaws

I LOVE the diversity in the Labrador breed. The notion of splitting, IMO, is horrid and absolutely the wrong direction to go. When you have closed the stud books, you need to keep the breeding pool as large as possible. Splitting backs you into a corner.

From the time of the breed's origin, there has been a strong tradition of aiming for dual purpose dogs, meaning field/sport and show. A century ago, Countess Lorna Howe promoted the dual purpose Labrador . . . and many many breeders still aim for Labs that are capable of hunting or other useful activity, but still do well in conformation shows. Many winning show dogs have been, and still are, worked as gun dogs. Some of the leading breeders in Australia and New Zealand fall in line with this tradition.

The fact that some people are only interested in show or sport . . . or guide dogs or sniffer dogs . .. doesn't bother me at all. If you want a dog that excels in the hunt and has very high drive . . . there are breeders who can supply them. And if a breeder who has mostly done show/pet dogs decides they want to up the drive in their dogs, eg., to have a go at agility, there are bloodlines they can look to.

Guide Dogs does sometimes use show lines rather than their own dogs. Blackboy Kennels in WA has a long association with Guide Dogs, and I know some Lab breeders in the Eastern States have also provided both puppies and stud services.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ernie is from a mixture of show lines and 'field' dogs (way back). Most of his litter went into service dogs - his sire is a bomb disposal dog in Sydney and his dam is a champion show dog. Most of his litter mates went to service homes. I know they kept Ernie to show but he's too laid back for the ring yet has an intense biddability that I can see would become annoying in a 'just' show dog. I intend to train him slowly to do things for me as he needs a job, tho he's chilled to the max.

I too, would hate to see the lines split. A breeder that combines the best of both lines (as Ernie's did) gave me the chance to be owned by a spectacular Labrador - even tho I will never show or retrieve with him.