Advice For Dog Phobic Walker

skip

Hi all. I know it is busy over this time but would like some advice to give my Dad. He likes dogs in general but is uncomfortable round loose dogs he meets walking. He is walking in on lead areas but in his area no one seems to pay attention.

As he is nervous of course as I told him, dogs may sense this and it seems to cause issues. Apparently on the beach recently a little happy dog was barking at him so he was backing awa. The owners abused him cause they said he was making their dog worse. Similar with a small dog he has to avoid each morning if they walk down to the parks round the river. The dog is loose and yappy and actually bit a relative once.

I expected the council would be involved in the bite incident but nothing happened. We spoke about dog deterrents but he is worried about upsetting owners. I am hesitant to use things like a spray too.

He knows it his fear so all I can think of is to suggest turn side on to the approaching dog, do not make direct eye contact but still watch the dog. Standing with one knee bent like a relaxed position is useful with horses so maybe that too.

I've heard some recommend a loud sit command? ??? That's all I had. But I would b getting council involved as that is their job. Round here ago dogs are a serious issue and council has started a special team to patrol beaches etc at all odd times.

I know you could also throw down yummy food and /or effect the dogs behaviour but cannot see my dad accepting that. I now feed a dog that barks as I go past his lane way every day ( I know the owner) and as a result we get tail wagging and silent passage. My dog used to be scared walking past.

Any ideas welcome but difficult I know to control environment.

Snooks nicer than me, so far when walking (on my own) a loud "BAD DOG" has been enough for the dog to bugger off and the owner to realise that not everyone appreciates a dog running up and yapping at them. The umbrella is also a good trick. I also cross roads, so the owner is forced to recall their dog if it keeps following me.

People who are abusing him for not wanting to be harassed are in the wrong, I'm sorry that's happening :( Many people are very inconsiderate. :(

Hi Skip

I don't think you can "win" all the time...

For your Dad, the turning side on, watching dog from side can be helpful. I've stopped a dog charging me by doing this... When I was facing it - it was threatened and got aggressive, I turned side on, looked down (but stayed tall) and the dog just stopped. The owners were "wow, how did you do that?". The dog was a golden retriever. You just have to judge each dog on its actions.

Never back away or run away, because that can incite chase. If you were directly approaching - sometimes going obliquely ie changing to an arc around the naughty dog can help. Being really tall can help. A human crouching can make a bad dog brave.

With small yappy dogs, actually making a stompy approach a few steps as they charge at you can help. Tho sometimes they circle around and come from behind so if you can stompy sideways and get a tree or fence so there's no room to get you from behind that can help.

And I find "call your dog" doesn't work. But "BAD IDEA" with a hand up like a stop sign (before the dog gets close) does work for reasons I haven't figured out yet. I guess nobody wants to be shown up for "Stupid" which is what progressing into a "Bad Idea" would be.

I have also crossed roads to get away from a dog following us. By that time - I'm that angry at the owner for doing nothing, I'm hoping for traffic. I do feel bad for the naughty dog for having such a clueless owner.

Get your Dad a nice strong walking stick. If people can't respect someone who might be unsteady on his feet, hence the walking stick, and keep their dogs away, he can use it to whack the dogs (or the people if they get close enough)

Snooks nicer than me, so far when walking (on my own) a loud "BAD DOG" has been enough for the dog to bugger off and the owner to realise that not everyone appreciates a dog running up and yapping at them. The umbrella is also a good trick. I also cross roads, so the owner is forced to recall their dog if it keeps following me.

People who are abusing him for not wanting to be harassed are in the wrong, I'm sorry that's happening :( Many people are very inconsiderate. :(

I'm not nice at all.. lol. I make one polite request for them to call their dog and if they ignore me or yell that it's friendly I get my bitch britches on and tell them in no uncertain terms to come and get their effing dog. I spent far too long continuing to be polite and try and explain that my dog is frightened and it rarely ever resulted in a recalled or retrieved dog and caused huge amounts of stress for my dog so now I'll be as rude as I have to be to get them to stop their dog harassing mine. I was offering a reply based on the OP's Dad not wanting to inflame things or upset the owners of the dogs. I don't personslly care if I upset them if their dog is racing up to us.

Hahah I see! Contextual.

Yes, I have been learning to pull on the bitch britches and be damned if it upsets them when I've got the dog with me. I view everything from that pair of trousers now, whether the dog is with me or not.

Thanks so much for all your help. I was on call for work today but go tomorrow to the family in Sydney for celebrations. So good to reply at this time but least I might b able to advise my dad before he leaves Sunday.

This explains a bit why my dad is not so keen on my dogs. He likes some dogs but really doesn't get why I like them so much.

I have some problems with loose dogs approaching my Littles or my reactive kelpie, or better still all three. Might try some suggestions as well. And yes I was always too polite but trying to be more upfront. Someone suggested I tell other owners my dog is contagious. That'll b interesting to try.

Thanks all and hope u all had a merry Christmas.

It totally sucks that your dad even has to deal with this. I love dogs, but I totally understand that not everybody does, and people need to respect the laws and have their dogs under control in public to stop them from approaching people. I too am wary of unrestrained dogs.

When my dog used to be naughty, running/jumping at me (when he was a young pup), I had a small breath mint tin that had about 4 5c pieces in it, and I would shake it when he wouldn't listen to me and stop what he was doing. This usually got his attention and he would run away from me. Of course, the reaction depends how the dog acts to loud noises. He could also try an ultrasonic dog deterrent, they're really cheap on eBay, just not sure how effective they are in deterring approaching dogs.

The hide of some people, abusing your dad for 'making the dog worse'. Sorry, but the dog's territory is at its own house, not the big, wide world outside of it. People should be able to go for a walk and not be harassed by unrestrained dogs, hence the leash laws!

Get your Dad a nice strong walking stick. If people can't respect someone who might be unsteady on his feet, hence the walking stick, and keep their dogs away, he can use it to whack the dogs (or the people if they get close enough)

Most people over 50 in my neighbourhood walk with whacking sticks - whatever makes you feel safe.

Totally agree. It is NOT up to your Dad to 'make nice' to dogs when out walking. A walking stick (or pole from the adventure type stores) will give him some method of keeping a dog off him. Even pointing it at an approaching dog may make the dog (and its owners) back off.

Totally agree. It is NOT up to your Dad to 'make nice' to dogs when out walking. A walking stick (or pole from the adventure type stores) will give him some method of keeping a dog off him. Even pointing it at an approaching dog may make the dog (and its owners) back off.

Sorry to disagree but pointing or lifting a stick at some dogs makes them feel threatened and, depending on temperament, aggressive, especially the guarding breeds which are bred not to show fear when challenged.

I am also elderly and while not yet unsteady not far off. If I am out walking and I see a loose dog that bothers me I do a U-turn and get out of there as quickly and calmly as I can. If I can't escape I try to stand tall, stay calm, and turn side on with my arms folded. I have even gone into people's front gardens hopefully fenced and with a gate that I can shut behind me. People should keep their dogs on lead or in their yards. The irresponsibility of some owners totally ***es me off.

ETA I have just seen on a Lost pet page someone thinking it a joke that her two dogs were out yet again. She says they are only wanting to play. One of them has a studded collar on. Why? Some dog owners are morons.

Edited by sarspididious