Long Lead For Malamute

ellejaytee

I was thinking of getting a long lead (15m or so) for our malamute, we live near a big oval where it would be great to have him on a long lead so he can run around like a crazy dog and play fetch in a big open space. Would be great for teaching recall in a different environment (although I would never have him off lead anywhere that wasn't secure). We would use it when no people/dogs are around. The leads that I have found online don't seem quite strong enough. We use a short, leather lead for walking (as well as a flat, solid leather collar), and it is solid - riveted together with a solid clip on it which has withstood some serious pulling/lead breakdancing/lead biting. Any suggestions for something solid for this purpose?

the cheapest and perhaps most reliable / sturdy method is: get a good rope (from Bunnings and the like) and a few carabineer.

A few points to consider:

• 15 meter is very long, if you let the dog jump around it will tangle very fast;
  • It also allows the dog to accelerate to full speed, so you have to consider the inertia of mass which could cause hefty injuries to the dog or yourself if the dog hits the end of the rope at full speed;
  • Make sure the rope is not too thin: while a thinner rope might be strong enough, it can cut easily in your hands and cause burns. The rope should be thick enough to allow you a good grip without causing burns;

I would start with a shorter length e.g. 5 meter first.

Guest crazydoglady99

I just bought my girl a 10m one from k9pro.. holy sh*t its long - too long!!

Now I have to buy a 5m one hahahahahaha

(Oh and k9pro have a 15% off sale till 28th Dec. Just put BOXINGDAY15 in at the checkout )

Edited by crazydoglady99

I have a 10m Syntek one and a 5m Gripperz both from K9Pro. I used the 10m when i 1st got Jonah and he had zero recall and it is a bit of a pain keeping track of it but nowadays I only use the 5m one and mainly where dogs have to be on lead but there is freedom like beaches etc.

Also, check with your council rules re: leash lengths. My council considers "on lead" to be on a lead no longer than 2 metres. This means that if an oval in my council is on-lead only and someone takes a dog on a lead longer than 2m, they are considered off-lead and could be fined.

Also, check with your council rules re: leash lengths. My council considers "on lead" to be on a lead no longer than 2 metres. This means that if an oval in my council is on-lead only and someone takes a dog on a lead longer than 2m, they are considered off-lead and could be fined.

yes!! That's often an easy one to make mistakes with ...

I have a 10m gripper lead that I haven't used since I threw the ball for my 45kg dog not realising it was wrapped around my leg and had the fall force of her hitting the end of the lead yank me off my feet! The lead is made out of rubber too so it burnt through a few layers of skin and gave me some nasty scars.

For now I only keep it for things like nosework and will only use it if it's attached to a harness (even then 10m is a bit excessive/annoying to use).

I second a horse lunge line. They're made for animals 500kg+ to walk, trot, canter, buck fart and carry on - so would hold a malamute.

My cocker spaniel is happy to lunge like a horse. Go figure.

The trick to using them is to hold the lead in loops in one hand and feed it out and gather it in in the other. Never let the lead touch the ground.

Edited by karen15

I walk my dog in a harness with a horse lunge lead attached to a belt around my waist (she's a terrier though). I LOVE our walks with it.

A combination of heeling, recall and emergency stops with some great go sniff rewards. When she's not doing something for me she can have a good sniff at stuff, or stand and stare at things until I catch up and walk past her. She knows when I'm just far enough away that she has to leave what she's doing or risk being pulled along.

There's plenty of training opportunities on a long lead and I'm also now extra quick on my feet stepping over the lead when I need to lol.

yes!! That's often an easy one to make mistakes with ...

Typical vexatious law of a nanny state. If there is no sport being played on the oval what necessity exists for a short leash?

Makes it hard to practice recalls.