Ringworm

korbin13

I don't frequent this forum much anymore but it was always very helpful to me and I hope it can be again :)

I have a 7 month old mixed breed puppy with ringworm. The vet diagnosed him on Wednesday and said to wash him daily in Malaseb for 10 days. We are up to day 5 and he seems to be getting worse? More spots are appearing and his current ones seem to be getting darker and bigger. Is this normal?

Also would it hurt to use Canestan as well? I already have some here.

I am also washing his bedding everyday and putting it out in the sun to dry and vacuuming daily.

Normally I would go back to the vet but they are closed until Wednesday and we don't have an emergency vet here.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

Does ringworm go through a gets worse before it gets better stage?

He has stopped scratching so much which I suppose is a good sign. The spots are getting more pronounced and more are appearing which concerns me.

I think the bathing in Malaseb every day is too much as it is harsh on the skin.

With ringworm it takes about 4-6 weeks to see an improvement. It may look worse as the hair shaft is damaged so already damaged bits may be falling out to make it look worse.

ETA: It is the foam that has the action in it so are you making it really foamy and leaving on for 10 minutes?

Edited by jemappelle

Yes I thought it was harsh as well and did query it but the vet said it will be fine for the ten days. I have started him on omega oil blend to help battle the dryness. I have no idea if that will help but I can't see it hurting.

It does make sense that maybe the damaged hair follicles are falling out with the treatment. Thank you.

Yes he is getting foamed up nicely and then we do some gardening while he 'cooks' ????

Get some Canestan laundry rinse from the supermarket and use it on all laundry. The spores can live for over 12 months and it is very contagious so you need to wash your clothes and bedding too.

Use bleach to mop the areas he frequents and outdoor areas etc. I use F10 to disinfect soft fabrics. Definitely use Canestan on the lesions and you can also use betadine. Washing daily with Malaseb is too much. I only do twice weekly.

Going up to get the laundry rinse today. Am definitely concerned about the daily washing with the Malaseb and I was given no indication of what I should be doing after the 10 days either. She said the only treatment was the Malaseb.

She diagnosed with the light.

It's day six of treatment with the Malaseb and day 3 with the Canasten and there is no signs of recovery yet, is this normal?

I personally prefer to use F10 ointment and F10 spray but it can be hard to find. If you can order it online, it's great stuff! F10 ointment on the lesions once per day and spray F10 everywhere, you can even spritz it on the dog and rub it through the fur.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would give an update as I hate it when I am searching and look through a thread and there is no ending :laugh:

I stopped the daily washing with Malaseb and went to twice weekly with canestan cream on non washing days. Lots of washing!!

He appeared to be getting better and then on about week 4 he got worse, lots of hair falling out. I took him back to the vet but saw a different one, she did another skin scrape, and by scrape I mean she took several large chunks out of him and the diagnosis was demodex mange :(

I asked why the original vet gave me the diagnosis of ringworm (I was told he had a glowing patch on his head), of course this vet couldn't tell me.

And of course, it is now generalised. He was on Nexguard already, which is apparently used from demodex anyway so now he has to go onto the weekly injections.

Interestingly, for me anyway, they did a blood test checking for the 'collie' gene as he is a mixed breed which came back clear and he has had his first injection.

Thank you, I hope he can too, such a rough start, I feel like his innards must be getting nuked with all the chemicals. I have been toying with the idea of putting my dogs onto a wholly raw diet, so now seems like a good time!

I did put him on a skin support supplement when I thought that he had ringworm, and that has a probiotic in it so I will keep that up.

I suppose like medicine it isn't an exact science :)

He is on the weekly injections, she said that they have a good rate of recovery with that. We need two clear skin scrapings.

Anyway on a bright note we are doing some great training at the vet clinic every week, they love him! And he is learning to ignore all the doggies and lay down and wait his turn :laugh: