When Breeding Who Pays What?

stephy1323

Well hopefully you had the terms in writing .

But the stud owner has nothing to do with costs of whelping ,that is the risk the owner takes when breeding .You don't make money out of breeding .

As to a pup in return for a stud fee thats a risk in itself that we would never do,We always pay a stud fee with an option to first or second pick if we are happy with the pups & there are enough pups

Profit..... my last litter was the equivalent to flushing money down the toilet.

Stud dog fee was paid because he did his job.

Breeding is a risky business and if you expect to make a profit then you probably have more luck betting on the pony's or throwing some money in a pokie machine.

Tell your friend to desex the bitch, pet home the pups and take it as a life lesson that mother nature doesn't play fair.

This should have been sorted out at the time of the stud service.

However the idea that complications mean the owner of the stud gets nothing is a new one on me.

You would normally be entitled to a stud fee or a pup. However you should have gotten this sorted up front.

I'm guessing this won't be a registered litter of pedigreed pups?

thanks for everyones reply.

yes at the time of the stud it was discussed that we got the pick of the litter as that is what ive always known.

but as of last night when it cost the bitch's owner $2,200 she is pissed off and wants to get her money back!

and as for being registered pedigree that's not upto me as im not the bitch's owner.

LOL -

there is no profit in breeding . :D - that's not why breeding should be done !

Glad the bitch is OK .

AS I presume neither of you are registered breeders - you do not have ANY legal/formal guidelines /rules to follow , so whatever agreements you wrote/signed are in force.

if you have NO hard copy of anything .... then it's going to be hard ..and the strongest will win :(

That's part of the risk of breeding, if she wanted it to go smoothly she shouldn't be in breeding at all.

If the original terms were that you get a stud fee, she needs to stick to that.

Wouldn't a couple of puppies' sales pay for the C-section, another puppy pay the stud fee & the rest cover other costs (microchips, worming, feeding, etc.) to a degree? She's dreaming if she thinks she's going to get a decent profit.

yes at the time of the stud it was discussed that we got the pick of the litter as that is what ive always known.

but as of last night when it cost the bitch's owner $2,200 she is pissed off and wants to get her money back!

and as for being registered pedigree that's not upto me as im not the bitch's owner.

If your dog and her dog are not ANKC Main Register and she is not a registered breeder, then the pups can't be registered.

Reason I asked was IF they had been and you hadn't signed the stud papers, you'd have had some leverage to get a stud fee. Oh well.

yes it is if you were a member of your state's governing body and your dog registered with them as it's against the rules and reg to breed a registered dog to an un registered bitch even if the same breed. But obviously you are just another backyarder person trying to make a quick buck and it's come unstuck.

Someone on our local small community Facebook page was advertising Staffy pups just before Christmas for $100 each...poor little mites :( . So if that's all the bitch's owner is going to get for the pups, then it was a very expensive exercise & hopefully both of you have learnt that there is more to breeding a litter of pups than sticking two dogs together. Oh...& on the same FB page someone was complaining that they hadn't received the stud fee for using their rare blue staffy ...different litter...different people.

Technically the service certificate is supposed to be signed at the time of the mating.

No one uses my dogs at stud without paying the service fee at the time of mating, at which point I'll sign the service cert and hand it over. Contract states that if your bitch fails to whelp one live pup, I will refund the service fee (less 20% for my time and costs) upon return of the service certificate.

Might sound tough , but stud dogs owners are used and abused the world over and this puts a stop to that.

Technically the service certificate is supposed to be signed at the time of the mating.

No one uses my dogs at stud without paying the service fee at the time of mating, at which point I'll sign the service cert and hand it over. Contract states that if your bitch fails to whelp one live pup, I will refund the service fee (less 20% for my time and costs) upon return of the service certificate.

Might sound tough , but stud dogs owners are used and abused the world over and this puts a stop to that.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and clear for everyone involved.

Over the years Ive seen some pretty rotten arguments regarding stud services . So - If someone wants to use my boys they pay for the service - the sex. Full stop.they are not paying for a litter or that it wont cost them money the breeder didn't expect!

Money is paid before the service, if a mating isnt achieved the money is refunded less $200 for my effort . If there is a mating I sign the service certificate and the transaction is completed. If you don't have the money right then for the service you don't get one. If I want a pick puppy I pay for it just the same as any other puppy buyer. This business of the service including X amount of live puppies , pick puppy or money when the pups are sold etc is a mugs game where the breeder places all of the risk onto someone who isn't involved except to own the stud dog. Who is in fact doingthem a favour by allowing them the service in the first place.

If there is no pregnancy etc that is the risk of the bitch's owner and if I consider another mating at a reduced cost or for free - that's because I'm a nice lady not because its part of the contract.

My contract covers the service doesn't guarantee a pregnancy or that nothing will go wrong because the reality is that is all you can guarantee as a stud dog owner - that the dogs have sex all the rest is beyond your control and the risk of the breeder.

Hardly the SDO fault if the bitch needs a C section, is exposed to chemicals, isn't fed correctly, isn't kept free of stress, and a million other variables.

Over the years Ive seen some pretty rotten arguments regarding stud services . So - If someone wants to use my boys they pay for the service - the sex. Full stop.they are not paying for a litter or that it wont cost them money the breeder didn't expect!

Money is paid before the service, if a mating isnt achieved the money is refunded less $200 for my effort . If there is a mating I sign the service certificate and the transaction is completed. If you don't have the money right then for the service you don't get one. If I want a pick puppy I pay for it just the same as any other puppy buyer. This business of the service including X amount of live puppies , pick puppy or money when the pups are sold etc is a mugs game where the breeder places all of the risk onto someone who isn't involved except to own the stud dog. Who is in fact doingthem a favour by allowing them the service in the first place.

If there is no pregnancy etc that is the risk of the bitch's owner and if I consider another mating at a reduced cost or for free - that's because I'm a nice lady not because its part of the contract.

My contract covers the service doesn't guarantee a pregnancy or that nothing will go wrong because the reality is that is all you can guarantee as a stud dog owner - that the dogs have sex all the rest is beyond your control and the risk of the breeder.

Hardly the SDO fault if the bitch needs a C section, is exposed to chemicals, isn't fed correctly, isn't kept free of stress, and a million other variables.

Agree.........you pay for the use of the dog. If you get a result that's even better. If you feel you need a special clause in the stud agreement speak to the studs owner and put it in writing and then stick to it.