To Test Or Not

Monchichi

Hi All,

Just needing your thoughts if I can... thank you in advance.

went to aunt house yesterday afternoon, took my dog there and let her off lead. I was busy looking the newly renovated house and my dog was busy sniffing every single rooms and furniture.

I kept calling her when she was out of my sights, which she came and then off she went around. then later, aunt realised she had put rat baits all around her house. she quickly removed it. she put it inside her coffee cup. I was in shocked. checked my girl, she just happy as always. I kind of forced her to drink water as I was panicking.

my gut feeling said she had not ingested or even found the rat bait. But of course I didn't see her when she sneaked into the room 100%.

so I had to rushed her to the Emergency vet, why this always happens on public holidays?, vet gave her injection to induced vomiting. I was not allowed to see it. So just waited outside. later the vet came out, to tell nothing found in her vomits. apart from white stuff...so I insisted to check her vomits..vet brought to me and I checked, all there were chicken giblets she had in the morning..then white stuff was her egg shells I fed her in the morning in her breakfast :D apparently she vomited 4x, none in any of those had any blue/green baits. so I felt relieved.

Vet suggested for blood test in 72hours...which occurs new years eve. She rang me 20mins after I left the clinic, to tell me, she had checked the rat bait brand I told her (The Big Cheese)and told me this one is not that potent/lethal to harm dogs, and needed large amount to be lethal. Difenacoum is the main ingredient.

Vet also administered charcoal to my dog as well yesterday. and now her white coat turned grey around her chin and neck.. :laugh:

Anyway, shall I still bring her to do the blood test? looking at her vomits I am 80% confident she has not ingested any of the poison..but then I am still in limbo if in case..

thank you...will do the test by the look of it. I just feel bad on my dog like having her to go through pain for vomiting...then soon blood test. She will hate me for sure. Last night OH felt sorry for her, so let her slept with us. Mid night she moved into our pillows in between us. Bum to my face! and later during early morning I got few kicks from her back paws as she stretched while sleeping :D

In these situations (where we cannot rule out or confirm ingestion) I recommend one of two options - either do the blood test (PT) or treat with Vitamin K on suspicion. It's not a case where I really feel that waiting and seeing is an appropriate option because the results can be lethal.

It is safe to give Vitamin K even if there has been no rat bait ingested but for larger dogs this can be quite expensive depending on which poison You're dealing with. If you go with the PT and it is normal then you should be in the clear, if it's abnormal you can start treatment before there is likely to be a clinical problem.

Fingers crossed for normal ! :o

Edit to add: don't feel bad about inducing vomiting or the blood tests. Sure vomiting makes them feel rotten for a few minutes but once it's over, it's over and let's not forget that some dogs think that things taste better the second time around anyway :laugh: Blood tests aren't a big deal either for most dogs, it's usually just 'enduring' a cuddle and a little needle prick. Miles better than internal bleeding!

Edited by Rappie