Stop Dogs Pooping On My Nature Strip?

Two Best Dogs!

My solution on page 2

-

To start with, I don't know who's dog it is and I don't want to leap to a passive aggressive sign just yet (although if I do find out who and where it is I may go for a letter in the mailbox)

But every couple of weeks or so someone's dog is pooping on my strip and they're not picking it up :(

It's definately dog, it's too big for even the biggest feral cat, who's poop I am resigned to (urgh. There's only 5 right now, up to 12 in winter!) and it passes the Thistle test (she doesn't eat it)

Is... Is there some kind of smell I can spray or something to deter it from pooping?? It's usually the same spot. I was thinking maybe urine away so it doesn't smell like a potty spot or lavender to confuse the dog idk. Are there any smells dogs DONT like?

Edited by Thistle the dog

Well, don't do what we did and have a civil conversation with the neighbour whose dog is doing it....it's been a year of absolute rubbish, all because we asked him to clean up after his dog and he denied it was his (even though we'd seen it, and he always lets it out unrestrained to poop ANYWHERE but its own yard, I see him walking it off lead in a park where dogs aren't even allowed, pooping and leaving it behind). He's slandered us to everyone in the street over this ridiculous issue, and he intentionally antagonises our dog by banging on the fence, playing with a squeak toy (by himself, not with his dog, I've also heard him stand on it when we've been outside), and he lets his dog bark and bark (encourages it).

I recommend a little camera - Kmart/target sells little action cameras for under $30. Pop it in your front window and you'll soon have your culprit! It is an offence to not clean up after your dog and there are fines for it. Had I have known how much of an idiot my neighbour was, I'd have done this first. In my experience, people who don't clean up after their dogs really don't care how you feel about it otherwise they wouldn't be so disrespectful leaving it there in the first place.

You can also buy Citronella spray for the purpose of deterring cats and dogs, I've seen it in Bunnings before. Spray this around and hopefully it will deter dogs from your lawn.

On the plus side I don't think it's any immediate neighbours. The only ones with dogs are across the road and they don't usually walk on my side of the st.

It could be anyone tbh, going past my place is a quiet way to walk to the local parks and walking tracks and the other way leads to various pet warehouses/a vet.

I'll try getting some citronella. May take awhile to see results, as it is only every couple of weeks. Buts it's beginning to be a pattern :/ (a couple of once offs I don't mind, it happens, but frequent enough now that I'm almost annoyed ;) )

I imagine i just need to respray after rain.

...if you know the culprit and he/she doesn't respond to a friendly comment a 'letterbox therapy' normally helps if it is a local. A wildlife trap camera to get the evidence cost approx. $120 - 200 on eBay (they work also in the dark).

I found that in most cases dog owners who come down the coast for holidays have this 'I don't live here so why should I pick up after my dog' attitude.

Edited by Willem

This is happening where I live - obviously a big dog and it isn’t every day. I guess it is either a dog who is walked infrequently, or a dog who gets walked in different areas. What upsets me most is that all dog owners get a bad name. I feel particularly sorry for people who don’t have dogs and have to face, sometimes enormous, droppings on their footpaths. I quite often pick them up, actually. Yukkety yukk. :D

This is happening where I live - obviously a big dog and it isn’t every day. I guess it is either a dog who is walked infrequently, or a dog who gets walked in different areas. What upsets me most is that all dog owners get a bad name. I feel particularly sorry for people who don’t have dogs and have to face, sometimes enormous, droppings on their footpaths. I quite often pick them up, actually. Yukkety yukk. :D

I was wondering if an infrequent walk.. Or perhaps poops on someone else's strip rest of time. Most ppl around here walk their dogs offlead :s however if it is a wandering dog that is bigger concerns because of my proximity to main roads and a highway...if it is wandering I'll try and catch it. Owner may not be aware.

But I don't expect to spot the culprit except by luck. So will be happy to just deter it before I do get annoyed. It's not on the path at least! Ew!

• 3 weeks later...

Update,

So I used the citronella and it's been good for about 3 weeks, but could also be coincidence because it was only happening every few weeks.

This week it has happened THREE TIMES that someone has let their dog shit there and not picked up. I'm narrowing it down to weekdays, and today sometime between 11 and 12:20. It could be one owner with one dog, or multiple owners with varying dogs.

I'm seriously miffed. It's raining so I'm assuming I need to top the citronella up again but there's no point in such a big downpour. I don't want to have to sit at my window trying to catch the culprit(s) so I can run out and tell them off!

I also don't want to be that person to have to put up a sign but I'm considering it.

:mad

I'm gonna try vinegar and eucalypt oil in hopes the smell will get it to piss off.

Spot test with the dog, she hesitated then went around the grass in the backyard I sprayed with the mix. Have sprayed it around the border of my strip.

Edited by Thistle the dog

The solution is thus - Whenever you find poop on your nature strip simply relocate it to your neighbour's strip, preferably out the way or by a tree. Soon enough the culprit dog will become attracted to the smells of your neighbour's strip and poop there instead. Simple solution, no stress.

It's probably just an irresponsible dog owner.

The solution is thus - Whenever you find poop on your nature strip simply relocate it to your neighbour's strip, preferably out the way or by a tree. Soon enough the culprit dog will become attracted to the smells of your neighbour's strip and poop there instead. Simple solution, no stress.

WTF??? I can't believe you suggested that :mad

Dave-o, ever considered that someone is moving shit off their nature strip onto Thistle's?

It's probably just an irresponsible dog owner.

This is surely a joke, yes?

Napthalene might work.

But I like the camera idea.

Leaving poop on the footpaths around here is rife. I have had words with a few people about it. I start with "do you need a bag for that" - if I'm close enough to talk to them. One time I collected a giant Labrador poop and handed it to the owner who had watched his dog crap next to the local primary school and left it there.

I spent a while explaining to him that we won't be allowed to bring dogs to this park or be allowed anywhere out with dogs if he doesn't pick up. And handed him his crap to put in the bin. At least it was bagged...

Most people around here are very happy to pick up if you offer them a bag and are really nice about it.

A few get abusive. I get abusive back sometimes. Tho a better tactic is to get the dog rego before I offer them the bag...

One couple with two dogs that my dog didn't like - and we were across the street, asked me to pick up after my dog when she'd peed. I said - show me the crap and I will pick it up. Cos there wasn't one. There wasn't even some other dog's crap. But my dog does get a very hunch back when she's aiming a pee for a particular spot.

One couple with two dogs that my dog didn't like - and we were across the street, asked me to pick up after my dog when she'd peed. I said - show me the crap and I will pick it up. Cos there wasn't one. There wasn't even some other dog's crap. But my dog does get a very hunch back when she's aiming a pee for a particular spot.

Both my borders pee like that and I have had someone scream out a window at me. Had to explain she was a girl and was weeing.

I have had someone scream out a window at me.

Not long after the street incident - she did the hunch back pee on some seaweed at the beach and I notice a fisho who was leaving the beach (yay) kept looking back - so I got a big black bag out and pretended to pick up the not-poop and he stopped looking back after that.

I love the vigilance but you do need to be sure there is a crap.

If I'm offering a bag - I usually offer to help find the poop too and almost always I find it. But every now and again it was an air crap or too liquid (beach special - disappears into the sand or giant clump of seaweed) to pick up...

Once my mum told someone off for not scooping and the guy turned around to explain he had a back injury and normally doesn't take the dog til she's done one at home but she had surprised him today.

She felt so bad she scooped for him.

I hope he was lying. That'd be a good story. Haha.

If I'm offering a bag - I usually offer to help find the poop too and almost always I find it. But every now and again it was an air crap or too liquid (beach special - disappears into the sand or giant clump of seaweed) to pick up...

Yeah, Gus drinks the sea water too and follows with what we call 'the brown curtain'

He hobbles around squatting for 5 mins to make sure everyone sees him and makes me look bad for not collecting. There's nothing to collect. :(